Some 7/11s Caught Overcharging

owenm

I don't know whether this has happened to anyone else or not.

But on a few occasions now in Bangkok, at at least two stores frequented by farangs, where I've bought 5 or more items, I've been overcharged.

After roughly calculating the total purchase beforehand, and then asking me for an extra 25 or 30 odd baht, with no receipt given. I've then asked for a copy of receipt and realised that I've been charged for an additional item like a banana and a pack of noodles, that weren't in my purchase or on their counter. I realise that anyone can make mistakes, but now I always insist on a receipt.

On 4 occasions now, at 2 different stores, where I wasn't given a receipt, then asked for it after payment, I've discovered 1 or 2 additional mystery items on the bill. On querying the overcharge, just the usual sorry, with a refund for the overcharge, without any explanation. I can't read Thai, but now I do a quantity count everytime, and insist on a receipt.

Am I only having bad luck, or have others also experienced overcharging for goods not received? If I was caught stealing a 25bht item, the police would be called and I'd be charged with theft. But if an employee attempts to steal from me, where do I stand??

Considering most 7-11 are usually busy, and everyone tends to plonk there stuff down on the counter I am not surprised if stuff gets mixed up and someone elses items gets confused with yours. Is it deliberate, no I doubt it, but hey TIT and anything is possible.

1 hour ago, stereolab said:

The practice of others placing their goods down when you are being served is downright rude.

yeah...when they try that with me I sweep the guy's goods offa the counter, headbutt him then grab him by the scruff and throw his ass out the door onto the street...

but when I return to the checkout to do my business some other <deleted> has got his goods in the same place...

can't win fer losin'...

I twice had this scam tried on me at Tesco Lotus in Chiang Mai. It was one young male cashier. First time I put it down to a genuine error but on the second time a week later perpetrated by the same cashier, then I smelt a rat. On the second over charge for items I did not have, I called the manager and reported the guy.

How the scam works: cashier charges customer for items he/she didn`t buy. When customer leaves the store,  the cashier issues a refund receipt for the phantom items from the till and pockets the money. As most of the items listed on till receipts are printed in Thai, the cashiers assume that Farlangs will be unaware of the extra listed items, especially if there re many items involved. This scam probably happens many more times then most customers realise. 

I find it is more sloppiness in the promotion sign coordination with the computer.  I have caught them many times, Tesco too...mistakes in their favor 98% of the time...no mystery items, though.  Some of the chains in the US give you the item for free on scanner accuracy issues...people thought they were getting scammed more, when they stopped putting price tags on most items.  Walmart has paid heavy fines for scamming.  My latest complaint is their compouterized refrigeration systems are failing, creating a big health hazard..especially the warm pork, with the leaky packaging at Tesco.

41 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I find it is more sloppiness in the promotion sign coordination with the computer.  I have caught them many times, Tesco too...mistakes in their favor 98% of the time...no mystery items, though.  Some of the chains in the US give you the item for free on scanner accuracy issues...people thought they were getting scammed more, when they stopped putting price tags on most items.  Walmart has paid heavy fines for scamming.  My latest complaint is their compouterized refrigeration systems are failing, creating a big health hazard..especially the warm pork, with the leaky packaging at Tesco.

Some years ago I rushed to the Chiang Mai riverside branch of the Rimping supermarket to buy some milk before the store closed at 9.00pm. Arrived there at 8.55pm, walked over to the cold storage shelves to buy some milk and noticed all the cold storage were turned off. This means that after opening hours these stores switch off their cold storage. Also, many of these stores do not seem to have their cold storage set high enough and are on minimum settings.

People intend to place more trust in the big name stores, believing that these stores play by the rules, but in fact they have more tricks up their sleeves then David Copperfield. Buyer beware.

True...and they never adjust for the extreme hot season...food poisonings must be much higher this time of year...and for the sheep that work there...they couldn't care less, and bringing it to their attention wouldn't accomplish squat.  I will take a responsible owner street food seller with an ice chest over a corporation with refrigerators on regulators and monkeys maintaining them any day of the week.   I know what the refrigerant leak smell is like and seen a 711 with the same leak for years.  That Kamrai beech had a leaky frg too.  Bottles get slimmy/sticky..not good tattall.

take care in TOPS supermarkets, when some products are discounted on the shelf this discount is not always applied at the till, so you are charged the full price. fortunately i like to keep my mind sharp, and correct payment ready, so tally up the total cost in my head prior to payment.

this is either a management ploy to effectively over charge customers or a management/system failure.

Happened to me in Jomtien 7/11. No apology, but they do lose face, at least no assault.

Like others posted, I like to add up in my mind first. Wishful thinking hoping to slow the steady erosion of what was my mind. Plus fun to look at expression of clerks as I lay out exact change

It has happened to me twice, in the 7/11 in Soi 8 Bangkok.  I only bought 3 items each time, and when I checked the receipt, there were 4 items on the receipt.

Also, I think the staff buy the "promotion" stuff on the counter if you don't buy it, but they buy it on your bill. It looks like you bought something for a "promotion" price of say 10 thb, but they pay for it and keep it. I guess it means that they can buy cheap. If it's a scam, I'm not sure how it works. If they are getting cheap goods, I don't mind, as long as they pay for it and not me.

I stopped counting the times that clerks or staff made errors in my favor. I always point these out and put the change back on the counter. Weird things is that quite often the clerk in question seems to be annoyed rather than pleased when I point out their error.

Most times I'm given a receipt at 711, and no errors. But  when I have to ask for a receipt that wasn't given, sometimes I detect nervousness in staff's expression. Do a physical qty count against the receipt. Only happened to me with purchase of 5+ items, an additional phantom item or 2, and no receipt given. No other customer's goods on the counter. Anyone possibly scammed would just pay the bill, no receipt given. Retained by the employee and a refund made later for phantom goods not received. Stock level of that item is correct after the refund. Could be a scam that goes unnoticed in a busy store. 

98% of the time you are given a receipt. 

It's the 2% when you are not, and with a basketful of items, it is very easy to scan a couple of labels behind the counter, on a barcode sheet. With the staff only making 300 baht a day in wages, it wouldn't take too much creative thinking to bump that amount up considerably. 

47 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

I stopped counting the times that clerks or staff made errors in my favor. I always point these out and put the change back on the counter. Weird things is that quite often the clerk in question seems to be annoyed rather than pleased when I point out their error.

Just before leaving the UK, during a very very cold winter spell, I bought my wife an expensive jacket. Got home and found that I had about 60GBP too much in my wallet. Did some calculations and realized the shop had given me too much change. I went straight down to the shop, just before they closed, and asked if they had cashed up for the day. They seemed very indignant that a mistake had been made, until I pointed out the 60GBP in my hand. 

It is the locals with their one or two bad habits that have come to the fore now there is a newish Lotus in town. F'rinstance , putting their basket by the checkout then going off to get a couple  more items. Once when the girl was loading the plastic bag I noticed an item that was not mine , an old biddy was putting stuff on the belt but had not put a divider across .  My only grievance with shopping in Lotus is the yellow tabs showing a reduction in price only to find at the checkout not so. Oh TW last night bought 200g cheddar for 35B  down from 145B . I won't complain about that.

17 minutes ago, stereolab said:

Just before leaving the UK, during a very very cold winter spell, I bought my wife an expensive jacket. Got home and found that I had about 60GBP too much in my wallet. Did some calculations and realized the shop had given me too much change. I went straight down to the shop, just before they closed, and asked if they had cashed up for the day. They seemed very indignant that a mistake had been made, until I pointed out the 60GBP in my hand. 

Something similar about 35 years ago at Boots the chemist , just inside the door was a stack of boxes and on top a pic of a child's baby buggy. That will do for Tessa my 5 yo I thought so we were given the box from the top. On getting home Xmas eve the box had 2 buggies in , Boxing day took one back , the boss of the day shook my hand and said he would now open all the boxes , I wonder if others kept the spare buggy.. If it happened here my TW would think Xmas had come early, oh Gawd .............you know what I mean.

11 hours ago, stereolab said:

All my local 7/11s' give a receipt 100% of the time. The practice of others placing their goods down when you are being served is downright rude.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes it is, sometimes what is rude to us is normal to Thais, there are also things which are normal to us but rude where Thais are concerned.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

take care in TOPS supermarkets, when some products are discounted on the shelf this discount is not always applied at the till, so you are charged the full price. fortunately i like to keep my mind sharp, and correct payment ready, so tally up the total cost in my head prior to payment.

this is either a management ploy to effectively over charge customers or a management/system failure.

That has happened a few times in my local Tesco Express, but not in any of the two 7-11s.

I've just returned from getting my usual  7 bottles of beer leo ....   :burp:     I 've already had 1 bottle from yesterdays buy ...

my 7-11 is pretty spot on most times ... only thing about them is it can get really busy with alot of everyone's items on a small counter space.

12 hours ago, stereolab said:

All my local 7/11s' give a receipt 100% of the time. The practice of others placing their goods down when you are being served is downright rude.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sometimes the items are either hot or cold and theres nothing wrong with placing them on the counter , away from other peoples goods

Just say.

Sounds like:

Biset khap.

Receipt please. And yes some do it on purpose and if your handsome the checkout girl next to naughty checkout boy will seek to do you a favour and over ride his petty thieving. On nut Soi 85

I haven't experienced the same problem as the OP describes, but twice recently at my local 7/11 I noticed that I wasn't receiving the promotional price on my fav orange juice. Usually it costs ฿ 18 per bottle, but recently they've had a promotion; buy 2 bottles for ฿ 30, a saving of ฿ 6. I'd like to point out to the smart ar*es right now that this isn't about the ฿ 6, but it's about the principle. It has happened on both occasions recently and always at the same store. Unfortunately my Thai's not good enough to take them up on it, but it really annoys me to be treated that way. 

As a fellow TV member has already pointed out, if a member of the public steals from the store they can, and should be, reported for shop lifting. Customers on the other hand seldom have any form of recourse.  

Edited by djayz