songkran has started !

dave2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

a bunch of stupid farangs with no brains and don't think about what they are portraying.

Thais walking past will just place another farang hate nail in there coffin...

"Breaking News"

The hate nail coffins there have increased.  

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

the word songkran comes from Sanskrit

it is an ancient Hindu festival

when the sun enters Aries

it means transformation

been practiced in SEA long before the Thai came to this part of the world

Many words in Buddhism are from Sanskrit. Excuse me, wasn't the thread about Songkran in Thailand or was it a history thread?

Do Europeans, Americans, Kiwis, Aussies, etc.. celebrate Songkran, or is it possible that only Thailand, Laos and parts of Cambodia and Myanmar are celebrating Songkran as the New Year's Celebration.

1 minute ago, ajarngreg said:

Many words in Buddhism are from Sanskrit. Excuse me, wasn't the thread about Songkran in Thailand or was it a history thread?

Do Europeans, Americans, Kiwis, Aussies, etc.. celebrate Songkran, or is it possible that only Thailand, Laos and parts of Cambodia and Myanmar are celebrating Songkran as the New Year's Celebration.

don't forget SL and parts of NE India

1 hour ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

I don't know if you are commenting on my photo, but there was hardly a farang in sight in 1985, and none in the photo. 

I think you'll find that the only anti-farang sentiment during these 3 days will be from miserable old expats - the Thais are too busy enjoying themselves - it's New year!!  As for the Thais hating farangs comment, I can only assume you are talking from personal experience. It's not something I've come across. By far, It's the old expats that hate farangs more than anyone. If you need to verify that, check out the number of hateful venomous comments on this topic alone, yours included.

Anyway, while you are wallowing, I'm off out to meet up with a friend on Thapae road, there is a small parade today, I'm told, with the big one being on Saturday. Don't miss it.

Songkran buddha iStock.jpg

The biggest enemies of foreigners living in this country are other foreigners. 

You're right, there's more hate in this thread than information about the thread. 

8 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

The biggest enemies of foreigners living in this country are other foreigners. 

You're right, there's more hate in this thread than information about the thread. 

Completely agree. Have a nice day.

On Sunday, April 09, 2017 at 8:10 AM, PGThompson1 said:

Get in touch with the group in the pictures and send them to a bar at night bazaar this afternoon, spray the customers who are sitting outside and see what Basil's reaction is!! After all, it's only water.

The little 'un is loving it.

20170413_153227.jpg

20170413_153206.jpg

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

5 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

If you are posting here now, that means you are not whooping it up outside with water and beers and reckless driving. Party poopers!

Oh wait, that's me too.....

I'm enjoying myself, as is everyone else. I popped in for a coffee and a bite to eat, if that's okay.

Happy New Year.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

2 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Just like Christmas back home, at times like this we should remember that there are  plenty of sad, old people at home by themselves, with no friends or family to visit them, getting depressed watching the young people enjoying themselves with their friends and family. Focussing on the negative aspects of the holiday is probably the only way they can hide their loneliness and misery.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

the word songkran comes from Sanskrit

it is an ancient Hindu festival

when the sun enters Aries

it means transformation

been practiced in SEA long before the Thai came to this part of the world

Sounds more like the sun is shining out of someone's Aries!

Songkran is ok if you want to play and be wet all day.  It use to be the unwritten rule that once the sun goes down then the drenching stops.

Doesn't seem to occur any more. The last few years I just stay away from town. I'm sure lots of people and tourists have a great time and good for them. I'm just glad when it's over....makes it safer for riding the bike too.

I wonder how many slide off on the wet roads over this time? A lot more Thai tattoos for the tourists I expect.

Edited by CMKiwi

Songkran where i am is a very quiet affair. There were a few pairs of kids chucking water, but that was it. After shopping, me and Mrs Kaen went down to the local pond ( a huge place) where we sat inside a small eatery and watched Thai life passing by. We had some BBQ chicken and just had a good time. It was packed with young and old, families and couples. Even an oldish Felang, with a very attractive lady boy.Wife,as usual, conned me out of a few quid to buy some T shirts and jeans and we watched the residents of the town do some wonderful traditional dancing played with traditional instruments. Our Soi won second prize for their Paccaya Puk Puk, and very enjoyable time was had by all.Even my tailor, who is making me a matching trousers and waistcoat ensemble was their with his wife and kids. A great day. No fighting,drugs,weed, that i noticed, every body happy. Thats what makes it worth living here. You can keep Pattaya

Sawadee bee mai.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
misspelling

2 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

The little 'un is loving it.

Your camera photos' color and resolution are amazing.

May I know what brand and model are you using?

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Oh my god!

Luckily, I haven't left my apartment since I woke up. 

Some crazy guy from Europe tried to splash me with water in my own apartment, he just pretended to use the water gun on me.

But I am going out now at 7:30 pm. Hope it has stopped.

Edited by EricTh

58 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Songkran where i am is a very quiet affair. There were a few pairs of kids chucking water, but that was it. After shopping, me and Mrs Kaen went down to the local pond ( a huge place) where we sat inside a small eatery and watched Thai life passing by. We had some BBQ chicken and just had a good time. It was packed with young and old, families and couples. Even an oldish Felang, with a very attractive lady boy.Wife,as usual, conned me out of a few quid to buy some T shirts and jeans and we watched the residents of the town do some wonderful traditional dancing played with traditional instruments. Our Soi won second prize for their Paccaya Puk Puk, and very enjoyable time was had by all.Even my tailor, who is making me a matching trousers and waistcoat ensemble was their with his wife and kids. A great day. No fighting,drugs,weed, that i noticed, every body happy. Thats what makes it worth living here. You can keep Pattaya

Sawadee bee mai.

How's weed related to fighting? Did you get the heshe's phone number?

1 hour ago, ajarngreg said:

How's weed related to fighting? Did you get the heshe's phone number?

I didn't say weed was associated with fighting,far from it.I know enough about it to know that it isn't that that type of drug.I simply meant that i didnt see,smell or notice it.

And yes, i ran all the two hundred yards after she had past us, and got it. If you pm me i will give it to you.:kiss01:

I am in Hua Hin celebrating Songkran with the gf , her sister and her 2 rugrats.

As this is my first Songkran I decided to enter into the spirit and got kitted out with the flowery shirt, bought the male lead weight a super soaker and off we went down to Market Village for starters then ended up by the fire station which seemed to be the hub of water enduced entertainment ( not surprisingly).

I had a good old time, didn't flinch when I got an ice cold bucket down my back, even took my cap and glasses off to let the kids fully soak a farang baldy !!

Now, showered and looking for food am happy in the knowledge that I've contributed to Thailands economy and shown that farang are not all stuffy and serious.

Having said that I think that this will not be a regular outing, going back home tomorrow and will only participate in another if family or friends insist .

One day, like today, a year I can handle, any more than that and I will turn into the typical grumpy old expat made famous by TVF.

Oh, we did do the temple visit and water over the Buddha yesterday, so my aspirations to be a Buddhist have been fulfilled also !!

59 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Oh, we did do the temple visit and water over the Buddha yesterday, so my aspirations to be a Buddhist have been fulfilled also !!

Did the Thais welcome you to the Buddhist family?

But then you must renounce your Christianity if you ever believed in it.

Edited by EricTh

I kinda looked on it like a day pass, you know a " try before you buy " type of deal.
I think I'll stick with C of E !

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

Please provide a source for your statement about renouncing.  Frankly it seems to be more of your misinformed views but I certainly will consider any reasonable source you provide.