Fox to investigate sexual harassment claim against O'Reilly

webfact

Fox to investigate sexual harassment claim against O'Reilly

By John McCrank

REUTERS

r8.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly poses on the set of his show "The O'Reilly Factor" in New York March 17, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fox News parent Twenty-First Century Fox Inc said on Sunday it will investigate a sexual harassment claim against TV anchor Bill O'Reilly, who has seen several companies pull their ads from his top-rated news show in the past week.

The investigation comes after a complaint was phoned in to the network's corporate hotline last week by Wendy Walsh, a former regular guest on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" TV show, and her lawyer, Lisa Bloom, which the two posted to YouTube.

"21st Century Fox investigates all complaints and we have asked the law firm Paul Weiss to continue assisting the company in these serious matters," the company said in a statement.  

Walsh, a psychologist and radio host, said O'Reilly reneged on an offer to secure her a lucrative job on the network after she declined his invitation to join him in his hotel suite after a dinner in early 2013.

"I'm told that they are taking it seriously, and they are going to do the investigation that's legally required of them," Bloom told CNN on Sunday.

Fox and O'Reilly have paid $13 million to five women who accused him of sexual harassment, the New York Times reported last weekend. O'Reilly said in a statement then that he had been unfairly targeted because of his prominence and has not made further comment.

Numerous companies have pulled ads from O'Reilly's Fox News show since the report, including BMW of North America, Allstate Corp, French pharmaceuticals maker Sanofi SA, direct marketer Constant Contact, men's clothing company Untuckit and mutual fund operator T. Rowe Price. British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline Plc said it temporarily suspended its advertising.

Fox News, the top-rated cable news network, has faced heightened scrutiny of its workplace climate after sexual harassment allegations led to the resignation of founding Chairman Roger Ailes last year.

21st Century Fox hired law firm Paul Weiss to investigate Ailes.

On April 3, Democratic political consultant and Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky sued the network and Ailes, accusing them of denying her a permanent hosting job after she rebuffed Ailes' sexual advances.

Roginsky said that a misogynistic culture at Fox News had not changed since Ailes left the network.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters Full story:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Reilly is not addressing the issue and the reason is he really can't. Most likely he has a signed agreement with the woman he paid about 9 million dollars to not to case aspersions on her because if he did, she could have the recording she made of his damaging remarks to her made public.

What's really bizarre though is that O'Reilly's ratings have gone up since the NY Times broke the story.

Edited by ilostmypassword

51 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

O'Reilly is not addressing the issue and the reason is he really can't. Most likely he has a signed agreement with the woman he paid about 9 million dollars to not to case aspersions on her because if he did, she could have the recording she made of his damaging remarks to her made public.

What's really bizarre though is that O'Reilly's ratings have gone up since the NY Times broke the story.

Not really surprising,same audience that voted for Trump.

According to what I have read- he is a serial offender- settling several cases for millions. He is getting back some of the arrogance he has used to muzzle othes with different opinions. O'reilly is as arrogant and narcissistic as Trump. He should really be pulled off the air as his advertisers have left him. He has however increased his followers who are Trump supporters all waiting for Mr. O to make a statement rebutting forcefully his 'attackers'.  Not going to happen as that would lead to some real court action.

The amzing thing is that Donald Trump issue a statement of support for Mr Oreilly calling him a 'good man'.  Birds of a feather.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Not really surprising,same audience that voted for Trump.

To be fair, the liberals are also involved in sex--two other Bills I needn't mention.  The irony is the conservative mindset spouts the blatant wrongness of such deeds and then conservatives are right in there plonking--anyone remember, "I have sinned against you my Lord . . ."

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Numerous companies have pulled ads from O'Reilly's Fox News show since the report, including BMW of North America, Allstate Corp, French pharmaceuticals maker Sanofi SA, direct marketer Constant Contact, men's clothing company Untuckit and mutual fund operator T. Rowe Price. British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline Plc said it temporarily suspended its advertising.

Its this part that makes Fox stand up and take notice. 

Oh Bill your such a hansum man how can the ladies refuse you? Does refusal bring the old ego down a notch or two. To get a real laugh on this one watch the Bill Maher show of last weekend. He kept asking the same question over and over. Who wants to bleep Bill O'Reilly. 

Fox investigating itself is kinda like the House Intelligence Committee investigating Russia/Trump connections.  Each day, a little bit of nothing gets done.  Next day; same.  Even if there's a conclusion, it's tepid and tries valiantly to soften the blow to the law-breaker.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

To be fair, the liberals are also involved in sex--two other Bills I needn't mention.  The irony is the conservative mindset spouts the blatant wrongness of such deeds and then conservatives are right in there plonking--anyone remember, "I have sinned against you my Lord . . ."

WOW do I remember this. Ole Jimmy asked for forgiveness with real feeling. The problem was once he felt forgiven he went out and did it again. This guy could sell frigs to Eskimo's

7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

WOW do I remember this. Ole Jimmy asked for forgiveness with real feeling. The problem was once he felt forgiven he went out and did it again. This guy could sell frigs to Eskimo's

Just like "men of god" have done forever

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Ice to Inuit please. Lets remember our political correctness. :tongue: 

17 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Why wouldn't ratings go up , his target audience either think he is ' a good ole boy ' or they are defaulting to the ' fake news ' defence.

I was watching the news and it seems that the Bill O'Reilly show did not finish last night. He did not return after the break. After loosing so many advertising names and we are talking big ones maybe the Gods of Greed called him upstairs for a reckoning. Your a golden haired boy as long as your bringing in those ad dollars but if they dry up its clean out your office time.