Selling Your Passport

yes, I'm aware its highly illegal. I've heard stories about guys doing it and I'm just curious about the subject. Anyone know what they fetch, how they can be used if its been reported as missing and what the penalties are for selling it?

FOR ALL YOU DEA, CIA AND FBI MONITORING THE BOARD, I HAVE NOT SOLD MY PASSPORT AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOING SO. I'M SIMPLY BECOMING A MORE KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON. I HOPE THAT HASN'T BEEN MADE ILLEGAL YET.

Interesting question. I suspect the only use for the sold passport would be for a quick exit from Thailand and perhaps entry into the U.S. if the photo is changed and the passport holder hasn't entered into or exited the U.S. since the biometric detection system has been in place.

Clearly, your report of the stolen passport would have to be within a reasonable time from the date you sold it and your police report would probably require some foreced entry, unless you said you just lost it, it was pickpoceted, etc. but then the report would be in a day or two of it being sold. Thus its value would be limited.

Of course, if the new owner was caught using it, you would be "given up" and then your question would be germaine as to the criminal penalties involved. Aiding and abetting an illegal entry or exit from Thailand or the U.S. would be enough of a penalty for me.

I guess is there is not now or will soon not be much of a market in selling passports due to the biometric identification systems installed in the U.S. and soon to be installed in Thailand, at U.S. expense.

Perhaps entry into a country where the passport gains admittance wihout a visa and then a stay over in that country would be possible, but biometric identification is sure to make that a thing of the past soon.

In 1991 or thereabouts a Police Colonel in Immigration told me that the market value was about £1,000 for a UK passport, and was a lot less than a Thai passport with a visa for the US would fetch. It did seem to be rather a lot.