Video: Car hits express train - but you may not see a crazier accident all Songkran week

webfact

Many Thais just have a hard time stopping....waiting a few seconds while driving.  I've loss count of the number of times other vehicles have squeezed by me when I'm backing out or or going into a parking space...squeezing by me on a the road shoulder while driving along...etc.  And of course don't forget the zebra crossings....no such thing as stopping at a zebra crossing.  I also seen some pretty dangerous moves to get across a railroad crossing before the train arrives.   

Anything to gain one meter, one second (safe or not) when driving is the Thai motto.   Thais are generally very nice "in their homes," but outside the home while driving a vehicle many turn into A-holes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Bizarrely inaccurate news article that tries to make fun of a pretty ugly accident.

The car didn't 'smash' into the train, but drifted. It didn't try to 'run the crossing'. Driver was probably looking at his/her phone and didn't notice the car drifting.

It was the back-seat passenger (apparently) not the driver that was thrown out - and it certainly doesn't look like 'no one was hurt'.

There was no barrier - only lights.

What do you mean no barrier.   The barriers were down on both sides of the crossing and also had flashing lights on the barriers.   Barriers are not meant to be able to physically stop a vehicle but only provide visual and safe distance warning.

Edited by Pib

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

What do you mean no barrier.   The barriers were down on both sides of the crossing and also had flashing lights on the barriers.   Barriers are not meant to be able to physically stop a vehicle but only provide visual and safe distance warning.

You can't teach somebody Astrophysics if the person didn't pass his Kindergarten test.

14 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Bizarrely inaccurate news article that tries to make fun of a pretty ugly accident.

The car didn't 'smash' into the train, but drifted. It didn't try to 'run the crossing'. Driver was probably looking at his/her phone and didn't notice the car drifting.

It was the back-seat passenger (apparently) not the driver that was thrown out - and it certainly doesn't look like 'no one was hurt'.

News article can't make fun of anything. The car did smash into the train after hitting the barrier.

"Driver was probably looking at his/her phone and didn't notice the car drifting?"

OP, please let us know if you're driving here and if so where, please.

Then you won't see me in your way when you're upgrading your Farcebook. Thanks a lot for your kind consideration. 

27 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Dashcam footage would pay any bills if marketed properly; assuming of course that there was one and it survived.

http://www.sellusyourstory.com/sell-video-clip/

Edited by evadgib

58 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i'v seen the locals trying to cross just before the train arrives, but trying to cross as the train is passing is a certainly a new category of thainess.

Maybe the barriers should be old train lines;  they would be a bit harder to crash through than timber ones.

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

If it was a farang driving it would simple be put down to attempted suicide I guess.

But only of he had a plastic bag over his head and his hands tied behind his back

39 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's a string with lights on. The word 'barrier' is generous.

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

I didn't see anybody in the car , maybe there is a slight downward slope and the hand brake hadn't been applied .

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

I didn't see anybody in the car , maybe there is a slight downward slope and the hand brake hadn't been applied .

I must admit that would make a lot more sense

54 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

"There was no barrier - only lights."

There very definitely was a barrier. It is the "cable type" which stretches between 2 large steel poles on either side of the roadway. and automatically lowers on the approach of a train. Attached to these cables are red and white square plastic tags and red flashing lights. It is designed to prevent motorcyclists and cars from going around the barrier, which they can do with the drop down arm types in some locations.

It would not have mattered what kind of "string" or gates there were, this unfortunate muppet would have driven through them. No fault of the railway in this case.

Edited by ratcatcher

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

Depth perception fail.

Did the train driver stop, or did he flee the scene?

He didn't even know some idiot had driven into his train, until he was probably informed by radio/phone of this incident. 

He certainly fled the scene at 100km/h.

27 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

I must admit that would make a lot more sense

Yes it would, and thats for sure, but its not the case is it as the video clearly shows

There again I suppose it could have been a blow up doll that was thrown out when the vehicle hit the steel post

Hopefully still usable

Edited by oldlakey

12 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Why are they assuming it was an accident.....if going by the evidence it it is more suggestive of a suicide attempt?

Its potentially suicidal behaviour yes, but thats a bit different from a suicide attempt dont you think

Its just another case of a Muppet doing what Muppets do best

Edited by oldlakey

2 hours ago, Toscano said:

"The car is flung along and the driver is thrown from the vehicle suffering injury, reported Thai News Agency."
Not the only thing you didn't see, it seems.

2 hours ago, Toscano said:

Not sure what video you were watching?

He didn't stop because of numerous reasons why Thais are distracted at the wheel...

not sure who was thrown out of the car, as it spun it looks like it could have been a passenger ... another day on Thai roads.