The New W. 10- 1703 "Songkran" update and more....

ajarngreg

Sawasdee khrap,

Considering that I was offered this- in my opinion- cool upgrade today on Songkran I named it the Windows Songkran update.

Reasons for posting is to make sure that all customers have the chance to add some positive, or negative experience issues thru the update. 

My son's PC was first and the update went smoothly without any problems, missing drivers, etc on an older IBM machine. All users of W.10 pro ( no idea when other OS will be introduced) will get the update, which is a completely new set up like the 1507 and 1607 before. 

The second machine, my Lemel home PC started downloading the update when we just finished my son's settings and only had the chance to have a look at some really nice features, for example, huge and only good changes at Microsoft Edge, Really breathtaking, to be honest.

I took my own PC, also a Lemel, that I'm using at school home over the midterm break and it started to download the setup files.I was just writing something on my very old but good Dell Inspiron 1440 notebook when a message popped up that I could do the update. So I agreed and downloaded all files for the needed set up. The only one with a 32 bit OP.

Three computers are equipped with the new 1703 update and my notebook is still downloading the whole files for the setup. It's basically similar to a new installation, without having to insert a key, or anything else.

All my programs work well, all I had to add was the "copy to", "move to" option that was gone after the upgrade. Here's the website where you can download it.:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/add-copy-to-move-to-to-the-windows-explorer-right-click-menu/ All you need to do is to click on the link, download the program and you'll be able to copy and move files and other items to a different drive, or wherever you want to.

My Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 did the whole change without a problem but finally sent me a message that "maybe some features might now work yet.But the AV system works well and my existing code was taken and I'm really happy about that. No idea how the update will affect those with other (paid) AV systems.

It should be understandable that I had no time to go through the whole Edge changes alone, but what I saw was nice and really cool.

Dear Mods, it would be great to have this thread open for a while that users are able to write about their problems that might, or might not occur. Things they could make better and suggestions on how to get the update from if somebody would decide to get it now, without waiting for Microsoft.

I'm doing all upgrades now as I believe not long and millions will go for the updates/upgrade and things will be slowed down a lot.

Here are two great changes and the website where you can do the upgrade now, or just save it and do it whenever it's convenient to you, independently from your own Windows updates:

• We fixed an issue where printer connections from clients running older versions of Windows (V3-XPS-based-drivers) failed to connect to clients running the Windows 10 Creators Update.
  • We fixed an issue where on some devices like the Surface Pro 3, the Windows audio device graph isolation would max out CPU utilization due to being stuck in an endless loop due to defective Realtek APOs.

I recall that many people experienced issues with sound and internet drivers, that seems to be solved, thank Buddha.

The Windows 10 Redstone 2 is referenced internally as  really love it. 

You can get your 1703 upgrade here and please use the Upgrade Assistant: http://wccftech.com/download-windows-10-creators-update/

My notebook's ready now to install the new update and I'll report if problems occur, because it's an older DELL notebook, the 1440 series and a 32 bit OS. 

A very Happy New Year to all. Stay Happy, Healthy and Wealthy. And please post should you experience any set up, or other problems. 

Ne Windows Update Version 1703.png

Edited by ajarngreg

If you do a clean install with 1703 "she" talks you through the installation. That's a first for Windows.

This Creators Update has the most radical changes since Win 10 was released. As is usually the case, not everyone is going to like all of the changes.

As with previous major updates, it is quicker if you download a single (approx 3GB) ISO rather than go through Windows Update. That can also then be used to either upgrade or clean install on other machines.

All machines work well after a few days without any problems.

The Kaspersky Internet Security was okay with the update as well. There's no reason not to go for it. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the previous build.

My start-ups and shutdowns are faster than they were before and all in all, it seems to be a good product.

All I had to reinstall was my "copy to- move to" program that you can get here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

It makes many tasks much easier when you're able to send files or whole folders from A to B. 

P.S. I've just found out that the new 1703 update will disable your System Restore points.

So please enable restore for your drive c again after the update and create a System Restore Point. 

Usually it´s only for a better security people are advised to upgrade their operating systems. As far as I know, and that is a whole lot regarding this area, it´s better to turn of the updates in Windows totally.
Means basically that you do it in the system files. After that you just invest in a good Internet Security software, and all will be perfect.

As some say, everybody will get the updates that are coming, if you just don´t turn them off and forget about them. Always create a better system.

Edited by Get Real

I have two computers running Win 10 Pro.  One got the 1703 update (a.k.a., Creators Update) via Windows Update on 12 Apr Thailand date (11 Apr US date which was day one of public release)....the update went OK but took about 46 minutes to complete the download and install as I timed it.

My second Win 10 machine hadn't got the update as of this morning (16 Apr)....clicked Check for Updates numerous times over the last few days but no 1703 update.  So, today, I just click the selection under the Check for Updates which allows you to get the 1703 update "now."   It download a small upgrade executable file which I then clicked on the 1703  download and install began.  This download/install went a little faster....maybe around 30 minutes I guesstimate....I didn't time it like my first computer.   That update went OK-fine also.

Edited by Pib

17 hours ago, Pib said:

but took about 46 minutes to complete the download and install as I timed it.

I just timed mine and it took just short of 3 hours. The first part 0-100% which I presume was the downloading took about 80 minutes as I am on a slow net connection, then the on-board processing took the most part of remaining two hours.

I'm on a faster 100Mb connection.  

During that whole 46 minute download and install process on my first computer after the download had completed and it got into the actual install are person gets to look at the "spinning dots wheel" with percentage complete readout as the update installs itself. I hate these spinning wheels "when they seem to march-in-place by staying on one percentage number for a long time...or what seems like forever."   Mine marched in place at 12% for around 15 minutes after the download and during the install...and while waiting for this percentage to advance you begin to wonder if the install is just hung-up.   But after 15 minutes that percentage jumped up to around 30% and it continued on with that percentage slowing progressing towards 100% although it had some more much briefer spots during the several reboots process where it stayed on one percentage for a few minutes which can make you start getting a little concerned..  And as mentioned before, sometimes those few minutes can seem like hours and you start thinking the durn computer is hung up but it's not. 

Now on the second machine it did not stall at 12% for 15 minutes complete although it did take a brief pause at 13% of around 30 seconds.  I thought to myself, Here we go again another as it going to march in place at 13% for around 15 minutes like how the first computer marched in place at 12%....but then the second computer continued towards 100%.    

Both of my computer are Lenovo laptops...the first one is an i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and  and the second an i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, but when just comparing the "how smoothly the install percentage completed moved along" the second computer (a little less horspower than the first) moved along at a significantly smoothly, less times when the spinning wheel percentage seemed to be stuck or not progressing.  

Even disregarding download time/speed which can vary  a lot depending on the speed of your plan and just talking the install process after the download is complete,  the install time can vary significantly  from computer to computer as each computer will have a different hardware configuration and different programs installed.

If a person is in control when this update starts he should plan on several hours if you want to monitor the whole process...but hopefully it will go much faster....like a total time of one hour or less.  And I'm pretty sure if your update occurs totally under the Windows Update process versus  you using the Get It Know process or having a ISO downloaded already, the Windows Update process will just take longer.  

Going from the 1607 Anniversary Update to the 1703 Creators Update is a "major/big" download/install process....don't try to compare it to a ever few weeks/once a month Cumulative Update type update as that is trying to compare apples and oranges.

Got the 1703 Windows 10 update on my Acer 2-in-1 (tablet/laptop) combo. No problems with the upgrade but had to upgrade the Intel wireless drivers and the Intel Bluetooth drivers after the upgrade to prevent BSOD lockups. The Acer website didn't have the new drivers so I used the Intel driver upgrade tool to download and install them. I also found several other drivers that needed updating using the device manager tool in Windows. The Acer is still experiencing random shutdown/reboots which didn't happen under the previous version of Win 10. I think there is still some errant driver issue that will hopefully be resolved in the future.

I also have an 7-year old Acer desktop that would freeze during startup after the upgrade but it was due to the wireless card which I removed since I was using the Ethernet LAN connection anyway. I probably could have found newer drivers for the wireless card that might have resolved the issues but since I wasn't ever going to use the wireless card, it wasn't worth the effort.

If you are having issues after the 1703 Win 10 update, I would recommend updating device drivers especially the wireless network drivers. The Win 10 event viewer can be of help when trying to diagnose driver issues. Also, some vendors will probably be updating their WEB sites with the latest drivers so keep an eye out there.

1 minute ago, Silurian said:

Got the 1703 Windows 10 update on my Acer 2-in-1 (tablet/laptop) combo. No problems with the upgrade but had to upgrade the Intel wireless drivers and the Intel Bluetooth drivers after the upgrade to prevent BSOD lockups. The Acer website didn't have the new drivers so I used the Intel driver upgrade tool to download and install them. I also found several other drivers that needed updating using the device manager tool in Windows. The Acer is still experiencing random shutdown/reboots which didn't happen under the previous version of Win 10. I think there is still some errant driver issue that will hopefully be resolved in the future.

I also have an 7-year old Acer desktop that would freeze during startup after the upgrade but it was due to the wireless card which I removed since I was using the Ethernet LAN connection anyway. I probably could have found newer drivers for the wireless card that might have resolved the issues but since I wasn't ever going to use the wireless card, it wasn't worth the effort.

If you are having issues after the 1703 Win 10 update, I would recommend updating device drivers especially the wireless network drivers. The Win 10 event viewer can be of help when trying to diagnose driver issues. Also, some vendors will probably be updating their WEB sites with the latest drivers so keep an eye out there.

Please be aware that you can always roll back to the previous version and do the update later.

New drivers do not necessarily fix a driver issue, they can even make it worse on older machines ad stop programs from functioning. 

I'm using a program to update my drivers, not the Windows one. Good is that I can always roll back a driver because wireless and Bluetooth drivers can sometimes cause certain programs to stop.

Just recently happened on my older DELL notebook when I couldn't connect my JBL Bluetooth speaker anymore after a Bluetooth upgrade to the newest driver.

If I were you, I'd make sure that you don't have viruses, Trojan horses, etc in my system.

What you can try is: First make sure that you don't have something serious: Download and run the virus removal tool here: https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/kvrt2015

Then download the trial and fully functioning Antivirus from Kaspersky here and make a full system scan: https://me-en.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/antivirus-free-trial

Best luck. 

I have completed this update on both my machine (desktop and laptop) and it is working well

One thing that stands out for me that many may have not noticed yet, I have for the last number of years always ran klite codec pack for playing various video formats especially the new x265 Hevc, well the good news is there is no need for klite with this new version of windows 10, it plays everything I have thrown at it and I still use WMP as my default player, I do have a GPU that has the hardware built in on my desktop to decode this format but my lappy doesn't and it plays them flawlessly also.

Also something else to note

I have been using Windows defender now for a long time, anyone that is using a 3rd party virus app should consider dumping it, these 3ed party apps can cause more problems that they are worth and Windows defender works just fine, couple that with the free mailwarebytes occasional scan and everything is 100% and has been for years.

Also some people have preferred to use 3rd party browsers - well I have never deviated from  IE and now Edge and never ever had a problem. 

17 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Please be aware that you can always roll back to the previous version and do the update later.

New drivers do not necessarily fix a driver issue, they can even make it worse on older machines ad stop programs from functioning. 

I'm using a program to update my drivers, not the Windows one. Good is that I can always roll back a driver because wireless and Bluetooth drivers can sometimes cause certain programs to stop.

Just recently happened on my older DELL notebook when I couldn't connect my JBL Bluetooth speaker anymore after a Bluetooth upgrade to the newest driver.

If I were you, I'd make sure that you don't have viruses, Trojan horses, etc in my system.

What you can try is: First make sure that you don't have something serious: Download and run the virus removal tool here: https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/kvrt2015

Then download the trial and fully functioning Antivirus from Kaspersky here and make a full system scan: https://me-en.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/antivirus-free-trial

Best luck. 

just a quick one, if you are using an Intel Ultimate 6300 wifi card, finally there is a new Proset update from intel designed for win10 and these older network cards, I have had an issue with this on my Alienware laptop with no win10 intel drivers - had to use 8.1 drivers which sort of worked, I had bought a new wifi (AC) card but didn't install it just yet, this new proset driver works 100% 

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

just a quick one, if you are using an Intel Ultimate 6300 wifi card, finally there is a new Proset update from intel designed for win10 and these older network cards, I have had an issue with this on my Alienware laptop with no win10 intel drivers - had to use 8.1 drivers which sort of worked, I had bought a new wifi (AC) card but didn't install it just yet, this new proset driver works 100% 

Thanks. The DELL must be 8 now and it's quite understandable that DELL's website doesn't offer all updates for such old products.

But no problem at all, I found the right driver, have all machines backed up with the newest system on it and it takes about 15 minutes to restore an image.

Macrium, the free version for personal use does a great job. You can even run a restore when it's on the same drive, let's say on D.      

Edited by ajarngreg

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I have completed this update on both my machine (desktop and laptop) and it is working well

One thing that stands out for me that many may have not noticed yet, I have for the last number of years always ran klite codec pack for playing various video formats especially the new x265 Hevc, well the good news is there is no need for klite with this new version of windows 10, it plays everything I have thrown at it and I still use WMP as my default player, I do have a GPU that has the hardware built in on my desktop to decode this format but my lappy doesn't and it plays them flawlessly also.

Also something else to note

I have been using Windows defender now for a long time, anyone that is using a 3rd party virus app should consider dumping it, these 3ed party apps can cause more problems that they are worth and Windows defender works just fine, couple that with the free mailwarebytes occasional scan and everything is 100% and has been for years.

Also some people have preferred to use 3rd party browsers - well I have never deviated from  IE and now Edge and never ever had a problem. 

The new W Defender of 1703 seems to be great. I still have Kaspersky Internet security running and together with Defender a real good protection. I'm still trying to figure out all the new features of 1703. 

21 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm on a faster 100Mb connection.  

During that whole 46 minute download and install process on my first computer after the download had completed and it got into the actual install are person gets to look at the "spinning dots wheel" with percentage complete readout as the update installs itself. I hate these spinning wheels "when they seem to march-in-place by staying on one percentage number for a long time...or what seems like forever."   Mine marched in place at 12% for around 15 minutes after the download and during the install...and while waiting for this percentage to advance you begin to wonder if the install is just hung-up.   But after 15 minutes that percentage jumped up to around 30% and it continued on with that percentage slowing progressing towards 100% although it had some more much briefer spots during the several reboots process where it stayed on one percentage for a few minutes which can make you start getting a little concerned..  And as mentioned before, sometimes those few minutes can seem like hours and you start thinking the durn computer is hung up but it's not. 

Now on the second machine it did not stall at 12% for 15 minutes complete although it did take a brief pause at 13% of around 30 seconds.  I thought to myself, Here we go again another as it going to march in place at 13% for around 15 minutes like how the first computer marched in place at 12%....but then the second computer continued towards 100%.    

Both of my computer are Lenovo laptops...the first one is an i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and  and the second an i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, but when just comparing the "how smoothly the install percentage completed moved along" the second computer (a little less horspower than the first) moved along at a significantly smoothly, less times when the spinning wheel percentage seemed to be stuck or not progressing.  

Even disregarding download time/speed which can vary  a lot depending on the speed of your plan and just talking the install process after the download is complete,  the install time can vary significantly  from computer to computer as each computer will have a different hardware configuration and different programs installed.

If a person is in control when this update starts he should plan on several hours if you want to monitor the whole process...but hopefully it will go much faster....like a total time of one hour or less.  And I'm pretty sure if your update occurs totally under the Windows Update process versus  you using the Get It Know process or having a ISO downloaded already, the Windows Update process will just take longer.  

Going from the 1607 Anniversary Update to the 1703 Creators Update is a "major/big" download/install process....don't try to compare it to a ever few weeks/once a month Cumulative Update type update as that is trying to compare apples and oranges.

There are different ways to do the update, even without the spinning wheel. You see the percentage of the download in a rectangle shaped window once it's on 100 % it does several restarts when installing the updates/upgrade. 

The MS Windows 10 Creators Update can cause problems if you’re using a virtual machine, or try to install the update on a computer that has some older graphics card.

Apparently some of the work around's is to disable the graphics card driver and use a ‘standard’ vesa resolution to install the Windows upgrade. After the install is completely finished you can install the driver again and all seems to work perfectly.

11 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

The MS Windows 10 Creators Update can cause problems if you’re using a virtual machine, or try to install the update on a computer that has some older graphics card.

Apparently some of the work around's is to disable the graphics card driver and use a ‘standard’ vesa resolution to install the Windows upgrade. After the install is completely finished you can install the driver again and all seems to work perfectly.

I did install the 1703 on 3 older machines and had no problem with the graphic card driver, or similar. 

But I think it's important to back up your system on an external drive. If it turns out that too many problems occur you can easily go back. '

I do not trust the W promise that you can get your system back within 30 days if you're not satisfied.

37 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

The new W Defender of 1703 seems to be great. I still have Kaspersky Internet security running and together with Defender a real good protection. I'm still trying to figure out all the new features of 1703. 

you do not need to be running 2x anti virus programs and doing so will cause many problems especially performance, my advice would be to uninstall and 3rd party AV you are using - they are not needed with win10

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

you do not need to be running 2x anti virus programs and doing so will cause many problems especially performance, my advice would be to uninstall and 3rd party AV you are using - they are not needed with win10

I've still got 80 days on my Kaspersky Internet security which was useful on the earlier version(s)of W 10.

I do not see any problems with the current settings, during the update Kaspersky was smoothly integrated in Windows and it can't be bad to have it, don't you think?

Once Kaspersky expires, I won't renew it. I understand where you're coming from, but it's not causing any problems like the free AVG, or Avast bs. 

Both, the W defender and Kaspersky are currently doing  a great job.

And I think it's very useful to clean up memory sticks from others using Kaspersky, should i have to copy something. 

Edited by ajarngreg

16 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

I've still got 80 days on my Kaspersky Internet security which was useful on the earlier version(s)of W 10.

I do not see any problems with the current settings, during the update Kaspersky was smoothly integrated in Windows and it can't be bad to have it, don't you think?

Once Kaspersky expires, I won't renew it. I understand where you're coming from, but it's not causing any problems like the free AVG, or Avast bs. 

Both, the W defender and Kaspersky are currently doing  a great job.

And I think it's very useful to clean up memory sticks from others using Kaspersky, should i have to copy something. 

think about how real time protection works, almost everything you do on the machine is being filtered and scanned through two different programs both competing for the big cheese, it doesn't work and causes issues

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

think about how real time protection works, almost everything you do on the machine is being filtered and scanned through two different programs both competing for the big cheese, it doesn't work and causes issues

I fully understand your post and understand how real time protection works. Just an example: A colleague wanted to gave something copied and I had to find out that she had the worst possible viruses and Trojans on her thumb drive.

I usually make a full scan that my PC doesn't get any of them, but forgot it once. Kaspersky then immediately found the culprits while W Defender didn't see anything abnormal.

I don't think that two AV systems are needed on this version, but i leave it on until it expires and i have the opportunity to scan some external drives.

BTW, Kaspersky 2017 Internet security comes with a lot of great tolls, for example The " Kaspersky Secure Connection", a VPN that allows me to use up 200 MB for free.

Great when doing any online banking, which is a very critical part of being online. I have no idea how good Windows will protect me doing any transactions by using PayPal, or other methods.

I fully understand your post and understand how real time protection works. Just an example: A colleague wanted to gave something copied and I had to find out that she had the worst possible viruses and Trojans on her thumb drive.

I usually make a full scan that my PC doesn't get any of them, but forgot it once. Kaspersky then immediately found the culprits while W Defender didn't see anything abnormal.

I don't think that two AV systems are needed on this version, but i leave it on until it expires and i have the opportunity to scan some external drives.

BTW, Kaspersky 2017 Internet security comes with a lot of great tolls, for example The " Kaspersky Secure Connection", a VPN that allows me to use up 200 MB for free.

Great when doing any online banking, which is a very critical part of being online. I have no idea how good Windows will protect me doing any transactions by using PayPal, or other methods.

Windows Defender doesn't run if you have an alternative antivirus program installed.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I have updated an AMD Asus laptop and my i7 NUC with no issues, but lost the use of my extended display over 2 monitors on my work PC. I had to reinstall the Radeon software/drivers for my graphics card and all was working correctly again.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Anyone notice the difference in installation size?  My C: drive went from 42 Gb to 50.

On the last big upgrade (1607) a lot of files were automatically deleted about a week after install, hoping that happens again.  That upgrade also created another small partition after C: , so now Windows has two small system partitions.  This happen with anyone else?

I now have only 8Gb unused on my C: so I might have to extend the size, which will be a pain in the arse with it sandwiched between two sys partitions.

Edited by bendejo