Where to buy stocks

I met some old guy in pattaya who rented me his place and he was telling me he trades with stocks often in Thailand. 

SO I wonder where is the best place to trade, buy stocks in Thailand, I want to work only with foreign stocks....like Tesla, apple etc......

If I would invest 2 years back, I would double my money now....so it is a waste ot time not to invest

I also need a safe investor.....and with low commision.....

thank you

I would think your best bet would be on line traders. Ameritrade, E-Trade, etc. Should be your lowest fees. 

Though admittedly I don't know laws regarding trading outside the US, and if you are not a legal resident of USA. 

15 hours ago, parafareno said:

I met some old guy in pattaya who rented me his place and he was telling me he trades with stocks often in Thailand. 

SO I wonder where is the best place to trade, buy stocks in Thailand, I want to work only with foreign stocks....like Tesla, apple etc......

If I would invest 2 years back, I would double my money now....so it is a waste ot time not to invest

I also need a safe investor.....and with low commision.....

thank you

Schwaab for the US market.

WARNING.

1. Investing in the stock market is constant hard work unless you simply buy a tracker fund.

2. You are not going to double your money in two years.

3. Hindsight is 20/20. 

"The market is not your mother. It consists of tough men and women who look for ways to take money away from you instead of pouring milk into your mouth." - Dr. Alexander Elder

1 hour ago, bubba45 said:

I would think your best bet would be on line traders. Ameritrade, E-Trade, etc. Should be your lowest fees. 

Though admittedly I don't know laws regarding trading outside the US, and if you are not a legal resident of USA. 

I have found "OptionsXpress" now part of Charles Scwab, who have a branch in Singapore to be very good and user friendly for online trading both Stocks and Options. I am not a US citizen.

Interactive Brokers work out of Hong Kong and Uk. They would have a good network connection for you.

However, if your are only starting now because some guy mentioned it to you, you have a high chance of failing.

I implore you to study carefully what you plan to do before you start. Including simulated trading.

perhaps a few good books. If you plan to do more than invest in an index fund you may need a few years or more of studying before you put any serious money in.

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

When i read the headline, i thought it was going to be something,juicy, in the BDSM line

Not interested now:coffee1:

When you think about it, investing in something you don't understand is a form of self-flagellation.

Foreign stock market you shall trade on-line from Thailand, for example with Saxo Bank's award winning platform; but there are many other options

Long term average, the stock market has over a 100+ year periode gained 6-7% pa. – if you can select the "right" stock, you can double your investment in 5-years or less, but at the same time you are in high-risk, and can loose 90% or more in no time.

If you wish to "play" the Thai stock market, the are also online platforms available, which can be used by foreigners, if you accept to have no voting rights (doesn't matter, if you are not filthy rich and can invest a major fortune in a single or few companies). SCB-online is an example.

:smile:

Without the OP stating whether he's a US citizen or not it's impossible to make a sensible recommendation, though he does seem incredibly naive and would be better off looking at mutual funds and/or ETFs.

(If he's not a US citizen and wants to invest in US stocks, then recommendations such as "Hong Kong" and "Saxo" are not good since they are unlikely to implement the reduced WHT rates on dividends which are available to Thai residents.)

I am a non- US citizen and have a schwab and Interactive brokers account. I highly recommend Schwab- their user interface is way, way better than IB  (but commissions lower on IB).  As a non- US citizen you will have to pay 30%tax on US stock dividends (not on capital gains)- but Thailand/USA has a tax treaty so if you are resident here that  cuts the tax to 15%.  The tax is deducted and paid by Schwab so there is no need for you to fill in any tax forms . 

3 hours ago, ExpatJ said:

I am a non- US citizen and have a schwab and Interactive brokers account. I highly recommend Schwab- their user interface is way, way better than IB  (but commissions lower on IB).  As a non- US citizen you will have to pay 30%tax on US stock dividends (not on capital gains)- but Thailand/USA has a tax treaty so if you are resident here that  cuts the tax to 15%.  The tax is deducted and paid by Schwab so there is no need for you to fill in any tax forms . 

He would need to fill in a W8-BEN form to ensure valid deduction of WHT at 15% providing his country has a DTA with the US. If not the default rate is 30% on most US stocks as you mention. Quite an easy form to complete and brokers often don't let a foreigner trade US stocks anyway without completing it

A decent broker should handle this for him and make the deductions automatically once the W8-BEN is in place.

However, as suggested by Oxx there are a large number of brokers and a seemingly increasing trend for brokers not wanting to bother with the admin of this. I stopped trading most dividend paying US stocks when my Singapore broker advised me they would no longer be applying the reduced 15% WHT rate even with my W8-BEN in place. It can work out a significant and unnecessary extra charge which compounds over time

So always worth checking with any broker first what they do about US WHT deductions. Then once you're trading recalculate the actual dividend you receive vs what it was gross to ensure the correct rate of WHT tax has been deducted. My broker said 15% would apply but then I realised they were still deducting 30%.

Thailand, UK and Australia residents can all take advantage of the reduced 15% WHT on US divs providing their broker actually supports the admin process. Other nationalities like Singapore can't and suffer the full 30%

43 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Other nationalities like Singapore can't and suffer the full 30%

Perhaps being pedantic, it's not your nationality that counts, but your country of residence.  Singaporeans living in Thailand with a decent broker would only have 15% withheld.

I heard about schwab....I treid to open account in LOS ANGELES, but they did not let me....I am not a us citizen, i am european.....

my country in europe takes huge chunk for each sale and buy, I mean the banks...so I want to go for something that is cheaper

about doubling the money

if you would buy tesla stock 2 years ago, you could double it now.......

i would loose with twitter stock though.......but main share would go to tesla, apple............

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

I heard about schwab....I treid to open account in LOS ANGELES, but they did not let me....I am not a us citizen, i am european.....

my country in europe takes huge chunk for each sale and buy, I mean the banks...so I want to go for something that is cheaper

about doubling the money

if you would buy tesla stock 2 years ago, you could double it now.......

i would loose with twitter stock though.......but main share would go to tesla, apple............

Try the link I gave you for Saxo Bank, or read about opening an account here...:thumbsup:

...several stocks in attractive markets have doubled (+100%) within 2-3 years, and if you hand-pick the right ones, you can even make more, or over little longer period gain more; like 500-1,000+% in 5-years.

18 hours ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps being pedantic, it's not your nationality that counts, but your country of residence.  Singaporeans living in Thailand with a decent broker would only have 15% withheld.

Just written loosely after the previous sentence :)

To correct though it's not "living in Thailand" that counts, but your "country of (tax) residence", "within the meaning of the income tax treaty between the US and that country" :laugh: 

i.e just living in Thailand is not enough - you have to be resident in Thailand within the meaning of the tax treaty

I recently opened an account with KTZ-MICO, which enables me to trade/invest in Thai stocks and Thai ETFs. Low commission, friendly service, zero Thai tax liability (because I am in Myanmar).

I intend to invest a proportion of my salary in ETFs for long-term, modest growth.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, khunPer said:

Try the link I gave you for Saxo Bank, or read about opening an account here...:thumbsup:

...several stocks in attractive markets have doubled (+100%) within 2-3 years, and if you hand-pick the right ones, you can even make more, or over little longer period gain more; like 500-1,000+% in 5-years.

i checked the link, they want a deposit of 10000 usd....

On 4/16/2017 at 10:34 PM, 12DrinkMore said:

You are not going to double your money in two years.

Using the rule of 70,to double your money in two years you would need a return rate of 35% plus expenses 

43 minutes ago, simon43 said:

KTZ-MICO were happy with a deposit of 1,000 baht, and view of a bank statement with at least 30,000 baht :)

Simon, that's the same you can do with for example SCB-online – 30,000 baht – for SET (Thai stocks), but OP wish to trade US-stocks like Apple and Tesla.

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

i checked the link, they want a deposit of 10000 usd....

I know it's relative, but 10k US$ is also "relative" affordable when talking about playing high gain stock-market.

You don't mention which country in Europe, you are from, but I'm also Europen, and use a bank in my native homeland for on-line stock trading on International markets, including US with stocks like Apple and Intel etc. Fees are very affordable, but little higher than local native trading fees and European fees. However, if your trading positions are too small – this "relative" thing – you hit the minimum fee, which then become "relative high" compared to the traded post.

Some European stock-markets may however be more interesting than US, if you are after huge gains, like 100% in 1-3 years. 

The below are only historical examples from Nasdaq Copenhagen, not rekommandations, though the stock-experts says that there are even more to gain in these companies:

Vestas (World-leader in wind mills for electric power):
1y +31%
3y +158%
5y +956%

Pandora (jewelry, owns world biggest jewelry-factory here in Thailand):
1y +14%
3y +106%
5y +966%

Genmap (medical, cancer vaccine)
1y +34%
3y +579%
5y +2,771%

A bank in your European homeland should probably be able to open on-line trading for you without too "relative" big deposit, if any.

Archived