Day after law banning street food in Thong Lor takes effect, streets are a ghost town

webfact

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

I feel sorry for all the rats and cockroaches , where will they get a feed from now?

So the average citizens who can't effort eating daily at an A/C cooled restaurant are rats and cockroaches for you?

Edited by SoFarAndNear

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, farang2002 said:

The government is trying to get Bangkok look like Singapore, which is pretty charmless.  Part of the appeal for tourists was the street food and all that goes with it.  Guess we'll see fewer European and American backpackers dining in the streets and more Chinese and Korean tourists dining in the malls.  Sad day IMHO.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No, the government is trying to get the streets clean and the sidewalks back to what they are there for - to walk on rather than be blocked with diners. Being made to walk in the gutter instead of the sidewalks isn't my view of charming.

No, the government is systematically destroying the unique urban landscape of Bangkok.  Look at what they did to Siam Square and Victory Monument.  Disgraceful.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Who is walking on a pavement in Thailand?
Only grumpy and pesky foreigners that always moan and complain about everything that is not like in their home country.

Well now everybody will be able to do it

Apologies to Airasia

16 hours ago, sanemax said:

So, before the streets were full of street vendors on the pavement , now they have been banned from the pavement.............and now they are not there anymore .

Thats hardly surprising 

But they will have set up somewhere else.. which will not be surprising !

Wonderful to be able to walk freely. The stalls aren't the problem, per se, it's the fact that their numbers (and Thonglor RTP's pockets, no doubt) expand exponentially. The clearout doesn't, however, seem to have found its way into the side sois.

And at the end of the day, the main culprits continue to be ignored by the BMA, whose oversized, but underenforced (as in never), posters, threatening B5,000 fines, continue to prove nothing but hype and farcical BS!

10 hours ago, berybert said:

Can honestly say the pavements on Suk55 have never been that much of a problem to walk down. And I have certainly never been forced to walk in the road because of stalls on the pavements.

Silom yes, Soi 55 no.

You obviously aren't that familiar with the locale. Or you're there at the wrong (right) times.

In all my years in Bangkok I really can't remember being super inconveniced by food carts on pavements tbh.

Now they cleared them away in Thonglor there's of interest to walk to. It's not like people are strolling up and down much, are they? It's BTS > Transport > Home kind of deal

In all my years in Bangkok I really can't remember being super inconveniced by food carts on pavements tbh.

Now they cleared them away in Thonglor there's of interest to walk to. It's not like people are strolling up and down much, are they? It's BTS > Transport > Home kind of deal

Yeah, this is Bangkok.
Not Venice or Amsterdam.
But the geniuses of BMA never thought of that before ...

On 4/20/2017 at 2:08 PM, Razzler1973 said:

Me neither.

I have lived many years on the north side of lower Sukhumvit, it wasn't so much food stalls, as T-shirt, DVD sellers etc that caused congestion on the sidewalk. The potential customers browsing the stuff as much as anything. I used to cross over at Time Square and walk down the other side to avoid it.

No, the government is trying to get the streets clean and the sidewalks back to what they are there for - to walk on rather than be blocked with diners. Being made to walk in the gutter instead of the sidewalks isn't my view of charming.

How many miles / kilometers you walk daily on the sidewalk / pavement?

Ironic how no one has addressed how this will affect the motorsais on the now clear footpaths.  My experience is that the better street food is cleaner than the average restaurant.  No rat nests for one, owner doing all the important work, and no careless smartphone surfers sitting on their rumps, oh, and no place to run a nursery for illigitamate grandkids while mom is out "working.". Those tables are great places to change a diaper.  Then there is the matter of using a refrigerator as a weapon. ...can keep " pock" for three week.  Common sense would be better than knee jerks and bribes, but I won't hold my breath.  

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 4/19/2017 at 0:52 PM, farang2002 said:

The government is trying to get Bangkok look like Singapore, which is pretty charmless.  Part of the appeal for tourists was the street food and all that goes with it.  Guess we'll see fewer European and American backpackers dining in the streets and more Chinese and Korean tourists dining in the malls.  Sad day IMHO.

Unless Thai people somehow start earning 10 times more, Bangkok won't start looking like Singapore. The average income of Singapore is 9.6 times higher than Bangkok.

6 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Now that the streets are clear and dead of any life.... it will make it much safer for the criminals to target victims without having to worry about witnesses.... 

A valid point.  As a result of the crackdowns on bars on the perimeter of CMU, they closed a dive down next to my building on a sub-soi.  I felt much, much safer walking through there after midnight with the bar open...very well lit, and always some customers.  Not anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, aaronshih2001 said:

As the Gov. said tourist only wanted to see the natural environment in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Crackdown update: In Sukhumvit 22 area, food stands seem to be operating, at least late night/early hours.

In lower-Sukhumvit anyway, the problem/congestion wasn't so much food stalls as ones selling DVD's, T-shirts, etc, etc