Cremation etc

Pdavies99

A friend of mine who is very ill wants to know the cost of a simple cremation at a local temple around Pattaya for example, any assistance please?

Also what happens immediately on death, ie does the body go to a hospital for an autopsy etc and what does that cost please?

Sorry not a nice topic but necessary,,,Thanks

He/She needs a will which can "easily" be accomplished. Pre paid funerals are available in Pattaya for foreigners. Hopefully you will get useful information on this difficult matter. Start with the will however as that's essential. The cost at a local temple for foreigners can be 30-50,000. Baht but as I say and you know, you don't just assume you'll be taken there upon death. Outside of Pattaya 10,000. Baht, Thai or Foreigner. Hope your friend is at peace with it all and God Bless Him/Her forever. 

1 minute ago, BruceMangosteen said:

He/She needs a will which can "easily" be accomplished. Pre paid funerals are available in Pattaya for foreigners. Hopefully you will get useful information on this difficult matter. Start with the will however as that's essential. The cost at a local temple for foreigners can be 30-50,000. Baht but as I say and you know, you don't just assume you'll be taken there upon death. Outside of Pattaya 10,000. Baht, Thai or Foreigner. Hope your friend is at peace with it all and God Bless Him/Her forever. 

The Thai will has been effected.

Thanks for reply, out by the reservoir, was a lot lower just 2 years ago, so I was hopeful of getting an idea of price that someone has actually  paid recently..

Any temple close to your friend's house? Talk with monk explaining the situation. He will provide you information about steps to follow, cremation service and donation.
God bless to your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A friend was at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital 2 years ago nearing death. The doctors explained you could die here in the hospital and you'll be at the funeral in 2 days or die at home and then it's off to Bangkok for storage and autopsy. He chose the latter and it cost his family a lot of money for all this over 3 weeks. Then he was finally cremated at a temple on Pattaya Klang and all costs were under 4000 baht. When his body was shown briefly, he looked nothing like how I remembered him just 3 weeks prior as he was in a fridge the whole time. 

Image00001_8.JPG

Image00004_3.JPG

• 8 months later...

A Swedish friend 79 years old has started thinking about cremation

His daughter (Thai mother) phoned Wat Chaimongol (the nearest one) and was told 200,000 baht. Surely that can't be correct.

He was given the name of a lady who organises these thing and was told 50,000 baht in a temple on Sukumvit Road near the road leading to Jomtien.

Any further info?

52 minutes ago, William T said:

His daughter (Thai mother) phoned Wat Chaimongol (the nearest one) and was told 200,000 baht. Surely that can't be correct.

He was given the name of a lady who organises these thing and was told 50,000 baht in a temple on Sukumvit Road near the road leading to Jomtien.

Any further info?

50,000 is the going rate. Just cremated a friend in Pattaya.

5 monks doing the chanting etc and the usual good bye ceremonies. Best wishes.

2 hours ago, William T said:

//  phoned Wat Chaimongol (the nearest one) and was told 200,000 baht.

Surely that can't be correct.

It's correct. Wat Chaimongkon is the most prestigious Pattaya wat, but also by far the most expensive! 200'000 baht is the price I often heard, and this explain why there is so few cremations in this wat; nearly only for rich families or high ranked policeman or military. 

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

50,000 is the going rate. Just cremated a friend in Pattaya.

5 monks doing the chanting etc and the usual good bye ceremonies. Best wishes.

The price may go from 5'000 to 500'000 depending on the wat and ceremonies you chose. Hard to give a "going rate" in such case. Using wats East of Sukhumvit, you may get it for less than 20'000 baht I think. 

In 2014 an American friend of mine did a Thai will in Pattaya. His Thai lawyer told him a simple Thai funeral would be about 20,000 baht. This would involve 3 days of prayers at the temple and cremation.

He also said a much more basic funeral is possible for less money.

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's correct. Wat Chaimongkon is the most prestigious Pattaya wat, but also by far the most expensive! 200'000 baht is the price I often heard, and this explain why there is so few cremations in this wat; nearly only for rich families or high ranked policeman or military. 

The price may go from 5'000 to 500'000 depending on the wat and ceremonies you chose. Hard to give a "going rate" in such case. Using wats East of Sukhumvit, you may get it for less than 20'000 baht I think. 

You may be correct, but I checked out Wats as far as 10 kms out from Pattaya and they all seemed to start at around 45,000 upwards, I agree that a few years ago it was much lower in price in fact the Wat near the reservoir which was only 20,000 five years ago, now want more than 65,000 !

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, William T said:

Any further info?

That is BS from whomever answered the phone.

As he is a foreigner, and presumably not Buddhist, there is no requirement for monks or feeding the village etc.

Ask for the cost without a ceremony.

If he arranges to give his body for science it won't cost anything.

17 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

In 2014 an American friend of mine did a Thai will in Pattaya. His Thai lawyer told him a simple Thai funeral would be about 20,000 baht. This would involve 3 days of prayers at the temple and cremation.

He also said a much more basic funeral is possible for less money.

Exactly. Without the chanting, prayers etc it should not cost much at all.

It's just a few sacks of charcoal and the fee for using the crematorium.

9 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

Do you know how one would go about arranging this in Thailand?

One way is by contacting a Medical University,

by example: http://www.sc.mahidol.ac.th/scan/bodydonation.htm

You dead body must be "healthy" though  (no serious disease: HIV, Hepatitis,...)

and if you are a fat guy, they probably will not want you...

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly. Without the chanting, prayers etc it should not cost much at all.

It's just a few sacks of charcoal and the fee for using the crematorium.

A word of caution. When he mentioned the cheap 'basic funeral' option, the lawyer indicated it was not a very pleasant option. And I don't think he was meaning that taking this option would lower your chances of being reincarnated as a wealthy playboy. I think he meant you (or rather those attending) should expect something cheap and not particularly cheerful - a crude, very functional event, and nothing more.

4 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

A word of caution. When he mentioned the cheap 'basic funeral' option, the lawyer indicated it was not a very pleasant option. And I don't think he was meaning that taking this option would lower your chances of being reincarnated as a wealthy playboy. I think he meant you (or rather those attending) should expect something cheap and not particularly cheerful - a crude, very functional event, and nothing more.

Isn't that what some people are wanting, though?  "Haul me there, toss me in the oven straight away, pull me out when I'm done and put the ashes in something that plausibly resembles a container"?  Is that what you're referring to with "crude, very functional"? If one doesn't need Buddhist ceremonies, I assume that's essentially what most people are looking for.

Tell him to contact these folks. They are very efficient and reasonable priced and will nto try to push anything he does not want. He can even pre-pay with them, and they will advise him of what is needed in terms of legal requirements, his Embassy etc.

Pim Karnasuta   l   Manager - Thailand
 Allison Monkhouse
 Tel : +662 382 5345    Fax : +662 261 7939
Mobile : +668 9215 7799
E-mail : [email protected]
Website : www.monkhouse.com.au  (this is for their Oz HQ, the Thai office has only Facebook, but will give you a sense of the company and type of thing they offer)

Suite 302, 516 Building. 256/9 Sukurnvit Soi 16 Bangkok

https://www.facebook.com/allisonmonkhousethailand/

I know there is a wat/crematorium near Suvannabhumi that they often use. Whole thing including getting the necessary paperwork from the Embassy for family back home (necessary of there is any sort of estate to settle or any death benefit for anyone to collect etc) and provision of the ashes in a box for sending to the family (may not be necessary in his case?) was around 15K when I helped do it some 6 years ago, of course will probably have gone up since then, but still likely to cost  much less than a Wat in Pattaya will charge for a farang.

Autopsy is NOT required for all home deaths, if the deceased has been under a doctor's care and no indication of foul play.. Embassy OK is needed to bury or cremate the body of a foreigner, this is to make sure the Embassy involved is aware of the death of one of their nationals so that next of kin can be notified. If (as it sounds) this man does not have a Thai spouse he should provide clear contact details for next of kin, it will save potentially a lot of time. Some Embassies have a registration system for their nationals living in Thailand wherein such details can be recorded, Even if so he should also leave that ifno with you or a trusted friend (or give it to Khun Pim at Allison Monkhouse if he decides to pre-arrange. He can also give her name and contact details of his doctor, she will know what needs to be done to expedite release of the body in event of a home death).).

The normal process for home death of a foreigner is to take the body to a hospital for storage in their morgue. It is nto required to send it to Bangkok nor would that be usual unless their is some factor specific to Pattaya e.g. the Pattaya hospitals have stopped accepting bodies of dead farangs (not impossible -- there is a charge for storage and they may have encountered problems getting paid; space in government hospital morgue may be limited and let's face it farang deaths in Pattaya are not infrequent).

You have asked only about cremation but he should also consider, if he has not already, making out a "Living Will" to avoid being placed on life support if his condition is incurable. Even if he hopes or expects to die at home, it does nto always work out that way and he could well end up transported to a hospital towards the end unable to speak for himself.  He should provide his doctor with a copy as well as you and any other close friends -- and make sure whomever would be likely to find him knows whom to call/notify if he gets to the point where he can't manage at home any more.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Tell him to contact these folks. They are very efficient and reasonable priced and will nto try to push anything he does not want. He can even pre-pay with them, and they will advise him of what is needed in terms of legal requirements, his Embassy etc.

Pim Karnasuta   l   Manager - Thailand
 Allison Monkhouse
 Tel : +662 382 5345    Fax : +662 261 7939
Mobile : +668 9215 7799
E-mail : [email protected]
Website : www.monkhouse.com.au  (this is for their Oz HQ, the Thai office has only Facebook, but will give you a sense of the company and type of thing they offer)

Suite 302, 516 Building. 256/9 Sukurnvit Soi 16 Bangkok

https://www.facebook.com/allisonmonkhousethailand/

I know there is a wat/crematorium near Suvannabhumi that they often use. Whole thing including getting the necessary paperwork from the Embassy for family back home (necessary of there is any sort of estate to settle or any death benefit for anyone to collect etc) and provision of the ashes in a box for sending to the family (may not be necessary in his case?) was around 15K when I helped do it some 6 years ago, of course will probably have gone up since then, but still likely to cost  much less than a Wat in Pattaya will charge for a farang.

Autopsy is NOT required for all home deaths, if the deceased has been under a doctor's care and no indication of foul play.. Embassy OK is needed to bury or cremate the body of a foreigner, this is to make sure the Embassy involved is aware of the death of one of their nationals so that next of kin can be notified. If (as it sounds) this man does not have a Thai spouse he should provide clear contact details for next of kin, it will save potentially a lot of time. Some Embassies have a registration system for their nationals living in Thailand wherein such details can be recorded, Even if so he should also leave that ifno with you or a trusted friend (or give it to Khun Pim at Allison Monkhouse if he decides to pre-arrange. He can also give her name and contact details of his doctor, she will know what needs to be done to expedite release of the body in event of a home death).).

The normal process for home death of a foreigner is to take the body to a hospital for storage in their morgue. It is nto required to send it to Bangkok nor would that be usual unless their is some factor specific to Pattaya e.g. the Pattaya hospitals have stopped accepting bodies of dead farangs (not impossible -- there is a charge for storage and they may have encountered problems getting paid; space in government hospital morgue may be limited and let's face it farang deaths in Pattaya are not infrequent).

You have asked only about cremation but he should also consider, if he has not already, making out a "Living Will" to avoid being placed on life support if his condition is incurable. Even if he hopes or expects to die at home, it does nto always work out that way and he could well end up transported to a hospital towards the end unable to speak for himself.  He should provide his doctor with a copy as well as you and any other close friends -- and make sure whomever would be likely to find him knows whom to call/notify if he gets to the point where he can't manage at home any more.

I don't normally go to a local doctor but to the local hospital about 15 km away.

I have made a living will. How can I sort that out at the local hospital?

Give it to the hospital to keep in your chart.

But do nto count on that, people may not notice it when the time comes. Give copies to those close to you and specifically ask them to ensure it is adhered to.

Hi.Sheryl. Last week when I was inquiring about Monkhouse with a lawyer here in Pattaya who handled their interests I received this reply. "Monkhouse does not have an office in Bangkok anymore and so pre paid can still be done and honored however the money would be send to its trust in Australia. When the time comes they will cover all costs." So are they still doing business here without an Office.

14 hours ago, William T said:

Can anyone recommend a temple not too far out of Pattaya and/or an agent in Pattaya who will organise a simple.cremation..

Speak to Bert Elson, British Legion  (Tropical Bert's) he can refer you to best place etc

• 2 weeks later...

Archived