Whats the safest frying pan to use in the LOS?

ghworker2010

I had a heavy stainless steel frying pan from France that has recently perished. I would like to buy a new quality pan that is not going to give me cancer.

Are the non stick varieties bad for ones health?

What is the safest pan to buy and where can I buy it in Bangas (bkk).

thanks

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I agree, cast iron are pretty safe (except when being brandished by the wife), sadly Raro has returned to Germany so that source is likely no more.

Yeah I was just reading that, Passion delivery are listing them though so I'll grab a LePot from there.

https://www.passiondelivery.com/collections/cookware

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Buy  some cast ones from Raro.

http://raro.asia/pan-pictures/

Which reminds me, I need to buy one if his LePot's.

Have the LePot. ...It's like picking up a bowling ball (wish it has a bail).....

Plan to use it for baking bread (sourdough hopefully) or crab cioppino or stews/soups as the wife hasn't found a use for it....She uses the 12" pan but prefers a teflon pan.....We keep the stainless pan with the camping gear & remark how nice it is but it never seems favored at home......

Some sing the praises of blackened carboned steel pans.....Properties of steel & cast iron.....

After many useless non-stick coated aluminium pans, I decided to get a proper stainless steel one from IKEA. Heavy yes, but fantastic quality, easy to cook and easy to clean. A pan that will last a lifetime and more.

Edited by OmegaRacer

Just now, OmegaRacer said:

After many useless non-stick coated aluminium pans, I decided to get a proper one from IKEA. Heavy yes, but fantastic quality, easy to cook and easy to clean. A pan that will last a lifetime and more.

Did they supply the allen key needed to screw the handle on ?

I got the shock of my life recently when I saw a scientist's reaction on Television to the question " Are Teflon (non-stick) frying pans safe to use"?... with a hugh gulp he blurted out...."Absolutely not, never use them" he said. I think he was refering to the risk of cancer, but cannot remember for certain.

Do a Google search for "Korea King". Got one (diamond series) for xmas last year, and it is the only pan I use now. Just wonderful. They had a recent special: 3300 Bt for 2. I bought 2 more.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

one with a handle that the wife can lift. You live in Bangkok breathing in all that filthy air and are worried about getting cancer from a frying pan ?

Some might be lucky to live long enough to worry about cancer.

Depending on the person's  wife, either one light enough not to get hurt, or heavy enough that she can't lift/swing/throw easily.

Choose one with dull rounded edges so they don't leave a deep gash on your forehead, preferably kept safely wrapped tightly in a pillow, outside the house, with the knives... ;)

9 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

Depending on the person's  wife, either one light enough not to get hurt, or heavy enough that she can't lift/swing/throw easily.

Choose one with dull rounded edges so they don't leave a deep gash on your forehead, preferably kept safely wrapped tightly in a pillow, outside the house, with the knives... ;)

I find the wife issue to be her scrubbing the goddamn  frying pans with a Brillo pad and ruining the non stick surface.

That got old really quick so using Meyer Prestige Cuisine stuff now.

http://www.meyerthailand.com/en/prestige/skillets.asp

Edited by Don Mega

14 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

The non stick or teflon variety definitely a no no just get a small one to do scrambled eggs in and only use it for that. Aluminium is supposed to give you cancer #note aluminium foil. Best pans are cast iron for general cooking.

Ensure that the base is suitable for an induction cooker.  That's the way to go if you're in an all-electric kitchen. 

I have a single plate model, ideal for a quick cook-up, and the controls are 1 - 10 for heating and an electronic timer for up to one hour.  Cost less than 1000baht.

Just make sure that your wife or friend knows how to use a non-stick pan.   Otherwise they'll gouge out the teflon when they use metal kitchen tools or even steel wool!

Teflon non-stick products are sold around the world. I'd like to see the scientific evidence that it's a carcinogen.

9 minutes ago, masuk said:

Ensure that the base is suitable for an induction cooker. 

Had a few issues with that early on so I had some steel cut to put on the induction thingo then I put the pots and pans ontop of that.

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

The non stick or teflon variety definitely a no no just get a small one to do scrambled eggs in and only use it for that. Aluminium is supposed to give you cancer #note aluminium foil. Best pans are cast iron for general cooking.

I see some 80 year olds in the village use these aluminium pans for cooking, probably used them for the past 50 years. None are dying from cancer related deaths. Sounds like another BPA plastic bottle conspiracy. The aluminium oxide we absorb with Deodorant is higher dose than you will receive from any cooking utensils and we use this every single day. 

Edited by tonywillo

Good old-fashioned cast iron should be safe – stainless steel probably also – however non-stick granite and marble are supposed to be Okay.

I also brought frying pan from Europe, non-stick "safe" granite – and found that in later years similar products, granite and marble, are available i Thailand; in both Markro and supermarkets like BigC, and Tesco-Lotus, and even HomePro. Avoid use metal tools, even granite-makers claim their product can stand it; presumably wood is better (more safe?) than plastic. Probably most important is, that when the non-stick pan begins to look used – i.e. the non-stick surface got scratches or begin to peel – get rid of it, and replace with a new; they are relative affordable. May be similar with teflon coating, I by old-fashioned warning try to avoid, but I'm not religious, so I also have a tiny teflon-pan we often use for making scrambled eggs for one...:smile:

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I find the wife issue to be her scrubbing the goddamn  frying pans with a Brillo pad and ruining the non stick surface.

That got old really quick so using Meyer Prestige Cuisine stuff now.

http://www.meyerthailand.com/en/prestige/skillets.asp

I used "non stick" coated pans in the UK for years and ended up with Meyer Anolon. The problem with any decent non stick pan is, as you mention, how people try to clean them. For the better quality, like Meyer, minimal cleaning is all you should need and they will stay looking good - as long as someone does not stick them in a dish washer...........

As always unless price is not an issue (like for you Don Mega :smile:) you just weigh up the pros and cons of each type relative to the cost.

For the OP maybe have a read here although a few years old - http://www.thekitchn.com/a-guide-to-the-best-material-for-pots-and-pans-pros-cons-168241 but DYOR

8 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Are U really afraid of women?  Or are you so programmed by feminists that you regurgitate this puzzy whipped nonsense on knee jerk default mode?  Man up, fer fuke's sake.  If a woman swings a frying pan at your head, take it away from her and smack her upside the head wid it.  Then ask her how she bloody well likes it.  That's equal and fair, innit?

Other than the possible risk of flu-like symptoms from breathing in fumes from an overheated Teflon-coated pan, there are no known risks to humans from using Teflon-coated cookware. While PFOA is used in making Teflon, it is not present (or is present in extremely small amounts) in Teflon-coated products.

Many myths surround the cancer causation debate.

Yes, the fluoride component of non-stick frypans may cause cancer. There's no meaningful data.

Aluminium was at one time linked to Alzheimers. Due to sample contamination.

The nickel and chromium components of stainless steel are carcinogenic. Stainless has been around for 100 years.

If risk avoidance is the mantra, don't use dishwashing detergents. Don't drink chlorinated water. Don't visit a forest, the terpenes might get you. Ditto deserts, silicosis.

If we could all live to 150 years old, by then the primary cause of death would be cancer. Statistically, thanks to modern medicine, our average lifespan has never been longer than it is now.

If you are really worried about frypans, stop using them. Frying generates temperatures which assist the formation of carcinogens in the food and fat used. Steaming and boiling do not.