Khon Kaen - the low down

Rc2702

Been in Issan a year and I like the place it's a polar opposite from the south and BKK and whilst I love the area we have been living just 90km from KK we feel the city of KK has much more to offer our young family.

What I'm interested in is areas and farang experiences of living in KK?

I note the traffic is awful so maybe 10-15km outside of the city is a more relaxed proposition and when we want to take in the city it's a stones throw away.

What about development, schools hospitals and the like? I heard they got Indian food in KK too but what else besides might we discover?

Not interested in nightlife myself but I like a quiet drink now and again but by no means a priority.

Initially I think we would grab a little apartment/condo and live there 6-12 months but our daily tasks would be identifying houses new or hold where we could lay down some roots fir the families future.

Hope you guys in KK can provide some good recommendations area wise and have a lovely rest of your weekend.

I don't live there but have visited many times and have a 2 year plan to relocate there from BKK pending work issues/retirement. It is one of my 2 favorite places in Thailand, the  other being Chiang Rai. KK city is small enough to be manageable but big enough so you don't feel like you are out in the sticks. I have found that there seems to be a good level of English likely because KK has a good base of Chinese/Thai and educated citizens with the University. 

The area near the lake (in the south part of KK) is a very nice area and many expats live there, A quick less than 10 minutes to city center and Songtaew routes pick up just near the lake. I also hope to hear more experiences as I get ready for KK.

Khon Kaen city is a very nice place to live. City is in full development and growing fast. Enough shops to buy whatever you need. Also enough good hospitals and schools.
The rapid growth however is putting strain on the infrastructure, some areas are hard to reach. Make sure you get a house with easy access to the Bypass, the ring road around KKC. There are plenty available for very reasonable prices (Google "house rent khon kaen"). Condominiums, not that many, lately a lot of "townhouses" though.
I don't agree with the previous post about English. Shops; government offices; companies; restaurants they hardly speak it. They even don't like to speak Thai, they speak Isaan.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In my view it beats everywhere else in Thailand hands down. Its growing fast to fast a lot of Thais say. Plenty of good watering holes if that takes your fancy a great government hospital. Amphoe in mueng Khon Kaen is great very helpful. Well up on farang issues yellow book ID card ect. Theres a new sky tram in the process of being built wich if its correct as to where it will go to will be fantastic for me leave car near university and take it into down town KK. Loads of grat shops and a superb clothes market up by Makro. The road links are good as well. We live apx 28k from kk towards udon. Little village quite and happy yet only 20 to 30 mins from all facilities. I have found major shops/thai post especialy the university branch have a good standard of English. Immigration is without a doubt  (i dont use it a lot though) the best i have ever come across.  You could do a lot worse than relocate here. 

2 hours ago, Sectional said:

What's the traffic like in Udon what are the main differences between these cities?

Having driven in both places can say there is not much diffrence. Udon has an overly large congregation of expats for some reason. Personaly i dont like the place in genral but i have to say i have only spent limited time there. But my first impressions of the place were not favourable.

Ive lived in KK for about a year and a half now. I like it here alot. Its growing everyday too. There are numerous good hospitals and the immigration office at least in my experience has been very helpful and easy to deal with. 

I live approx 5 min drive from Central. Traffic sucks during rush hour but Its not really that bad at all. I think the hardest part of living here is finding parking at Central on a Sunday. A problem I think many of us can easily live with. 

There are many different restaurants around catering to different tastes. Not sure about any Indian Food places though. I dont really like Indian food so thats probally why I havent noticed though. 

I get the Fiber internet from 3BB. Its much faster and more reliable than when I was using True. The people are pretty friendly. I dont know too may other expats in the area just yet so cant really comment there.  

Ive been to Udon many times and I much prefer Khon Kaen many times over to Udon. If there is something specific you want to know about send me a message and maybe I can help out answering some question or two for you.

Good luck. 

Living in Khon Kaen for nearly 12 years now, and was surprised by the change from a biggish village to a big town in those years, and still growing.

Big shops, a mall, small shops, restaurants, pubs/bars, hotels, condos for rent, houses for rent, it is all available.

Within the city limits there are many moobhaans, quiet and secluded, town houses and even bigger homes.

Airport a few kilometer away, bus station near the ring road and the main road to Bangkok and Udon, railway station in town, songtaews, new airco buslines in town.

Even bars plus the attached social workers are available.

A not too big expat community.

Schools, private and state.

Hospitals, private and state.

Academic hospital and very good academic heart centre.

Good taxi service, use the phone to order a taxi to be certain of meter.

It is all there!

I live about 28km out of KK.I have been here for 2 years now, and i have to say that i like it. My 'present' wife and i go once a month to the Kosa hotel and visit the bars in that street. We play pool and generally speak to other expats. Its just nice to hear my own language spoken once in a while.We found a good dog kennel last week where we could put our dogs for holiday purposes.I have found KK immigration to be pleasant and easy to deal with.There are big supermarkets there, Lotus, is good, and i think there are 2 of them. There is a Makro there and many day markets.In the back streets there are some good second hand book shops.Central is always a nice place to go to visit the cinima.I lived in  Patts for 9 years and thought i would not get on with a city out in the sticks, but now, i know why i moved there.I was very surprised at the cleanliness of the street cafes that serve chicken and other Thai dishes.Udon is a bit like Patts, having many expats who enjoy the bar scene, which is fine if that's your thing. Its about 100 km from KK.

I wish you luck in your future visit.

Hi. I have lived in KK for just over 7 yrs in a small village just north of the city. Past 2 large lakes. Lots people fish there. Nice local market there vegies, fruit, meats etc. hospitals good. Nice bar area just into the city lots farangs with their wives, good food places. Huge pratunam type market next to Makro and smaller one further up the road, 2Tesco megas and  BigC. Big shopping mall Robinsons,  big topps supermarket and many BKK name stores. Big Dam 40 mins out of town with bamboo shacks over the water and great food cooking places that serve you in the shacks, kids go swimmng. Goo place in generat. Propertys being built good prices.

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Having driven in both places can say there is not much diffrence. Udon has an overly large congregation of expats for some reason. Personaly i dont like the place in genral but i have to say i have only spent limited time there. But my first impressions of the place were not favourable.

...I could be wrong but I think many expats like Udon because it is close to Nong Khai  for border runs..  has a reputation for Lao girls too.. ... from what I've seen traffic is not quite as bad as KK..  neither appeals to me.. quiet life in Kalasin suits me... 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...I could be wrong but I think many expats like Udon because it is close to Nong Khai  for border runs..  has a reputation for Lao girls too.. ... from what I've seen traffic is not quite as bad as KK..  neither appeals to me.. quiet life in Kalasin suits me... 

Wouldnt say kalasin is quite lol had some great parties over there. :partytime2:

5 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm sure the quiet life can be achieved on the outskirts or in some areas of KK whilst the added bonus is you can avoid the 86km drive from kalasin to KK airport should you want to hop off somewhere.  Kalasin is lovely but I think when you measure facilities and education and things to do and even variety of food and shops it's miles apart and just generally better value for now and in future. All that said kalasin is lovely

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Wouldnt say kalasin is quite lol had some great parties over there. :partytime2:

It isn't very quiet around my place this morning.. 3rd   (and final thank Buddha!) house warming party today.. I hope the rest of the town likes the music!  

Kslasin isn't as quiet as it used to be.. then I guess nowhere is..  Tesco, BigC.. now Makro.. and another big one  coming across from Global House..  and endless building of shophouses... on and on it goes...

26 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Answering #20, not off topic at all.

Read ALL the posts.

Fair enough but this is about low down on KK not if kids get a certificate in English or wether teachers mark them up, thats nothing to do with  the topic i appologise as you was only replying. All other posts are about the topic heading and related area.

Edited by jeab1980

I don't live in the city just visiting regularly.

So not commenting on nightlife/entertainment etc.

The growth is enormous.

My first arrival at KK airport was in April 1994, walking over the airfield to a "shack like" one story building. Three flights daily. :biggrin: Traffic was a no topic. Highway 12 heading west being a two lane rd. all over.

Growth can be seen this way or that way.

Traffic getting worse, it's months that I was there on a weekend.

Shopping malls, park decks jam packed.

Weekdays are bearable.

Shopping is OK. Not much missing (if your pockets are filled).

For the missing percent (certain imported deli) you might do an occasional excursion to Udon (Villa market and slightly better TOPS food at Central). Easy drive, 130 km.

English knowledge is scarce. No comparison to tourist hot-spots.

Hot and humid?

Hot, yes but not exceptional compared to the north or central e.g.

Humid: where has the poster got this from?

Isan is usually bone dry. Khon Kaen no exception.

Beach? Seems I have a wrong idea about what a beach is.

Of course not.

Just a big lake and the dam already mentioned.

Some new (expensive) waterpark. Never been there.

Live there only part of the year, still working in the US for an other two years.

Have a place just outside the ring road in a small village, only 15 min to the center of the city.

It all depends on your personality.

I am a home body, and like quiet time with my family, and pattering around the house. I get to enjoy the country life ,yet in 15 min get to enjoy all that a big city has to offer.

Morning market for fresh produce, always something to do  around the house. visit wife's family (great people), go to the dam and sit in a hut by the water eating som-tom and having a beer while watching the kids play in the water. later a stroll at the night market.

Plenty of places to visit on the weekends. KK zoo and water park, cobra village, trip to Laos. etc etc

Some times stay at a little hotel name BB. by the lake and spend the evening in the city.

Convenient airport for a quick trip to BBK . Krabi. or back to the States.

Love it there , and so do all my friends who come to visit.but we are birds of a feather.

So as I said, depends on your personality.  

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't live in the city just visiting regularly.

So not commenting on nightlife/entertainment etc.

The growth is enormous.

My first arrival at KK airport was in April 1994, walking over the airfield to a "shack like" one story building. Three flights daily. :biggrin: Traffic was a no topic. Highway 12 heading west being a two lane rd. all over.

Growth can be seen this way or that way.

Traffic getting worse, it's months that I was there on a weekend.

Shopping malls, park decks jam packed.

Weekdays are bearable.

Shopping is OK. Not much missing (if your pockets are filled).

For the missing percent (certain imported deli) you might do an occasional excursion to Udon (Villa market and slightly better TOPS food at Central). Easy drive, 130 km.

English knowledge is scarce. No comparison to tourist hot-spots.

Hot and humid?

Beach? Seems I have a wrong idea about what a beach is.

Of course not.

Just a big lake and the dam already mentioned.

Some new (expensive) waterpark. Never been there.

Lovley sandy beach up at the dam its been cleaned up as have the eating bargesgot to get there early its packed at weekends dino's water park is great for young kids and young at heart kids! (I love water slides) expebsive at peak times go after 4pm and its a lot cheaper.  Dinasour museum was a good day out. And the Ellephant temple on highway 2 twds udon is well worth a visit.

The water park is 200 THB if you are over 60 years old and have the pink ID card. The 50 m size pool at the stadium is 50 THB.

The university hospitals, general, heart and dental are said to be the best outside Bangkok.

Best is to come yourself, stay here and see yourself.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:19 PM, Laza 45 said:

and their you have it, each to his own

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Hot and humid?

I think you are confusing rain fall with humidity, i live in khon kaen and on many days there is high humidity without rainfall, just look at the Thai meteorological website where the humidity is often in the high 80% or low 90%

On 5/6/2017 at 0:28 AM, catman20 said:

very hot and high humidity in KK

Yes, at the moment, its almost unbearable, outside. But we have had some rain of biblical proportions that is marvelous to watch, when accompanied by the static electricity in the sky at night. Anyway, i love the heat, its always a good excuse to tell the 'present' wife, that felangs have to drink beer in the hot weather, or our ATM cards shrivel up and die.:drunk: