Cleaning Ladies inside the bathroom

MrNeilThai

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've experienced this in Europe as well as around SE Asia.  I normally don't care, just tune them out and do my thing. But...

A few months back, urinals in the Maya in Chiang Mai, the cleaning lady was a ten!  Maybe eighteen years old,  beautiful face, stunning figure.  I took a long time at that urinal.  In my mind she had my children.  Best piss ever!

You know you've been in Thailand too long when..........you cease to be bothered by cleaning lady mopping around your shoes while you take a leak.......you find it quite acceptable to put ice in your beer..........you put chilli on virtually everything, even toast......... you don't blink as you are overtaken on the sidewalk by a motorbike........... and you start whistling yourself into your own carspace!

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not unique to Thailand, much of Asia is the same. I've not been everywhere but Korea, Hong Kong same, same, not so sure about Singapore and Malaysia (it was a while back).

My first experience was in Korea back in the mid 90's. Yes it was a bit of a shock to find the cleaner mopping around your feet whilst taking a pee but not nearly as big as the shock of a guy giving you a neck rub in the same location (Philippines) not to mention the unisex lav in the Seoul Pub (not changed since 1995, I was there last year).

I always have a smile for the cleaners, they do a thankless task.

My first experience of this was in the railway station toilet in Osaka, Japan. The most intrusive was in Indonesia, perhaps the female in question wanted a estimate of my dimensions compared to Indonesian males.

I've got used to it. At my age, a pee takes priority over any gender present.

I have no issue with someone cleaning the Bathroom.
What I see is a person who is not stealing or pushing drugs, but doing a honest job.
What I also see, is a big smile when slipping a 20 B note.

Edited by KKr

10 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you cleaning the floor while you are using the urinal. I cant understand if these cleaning ladies are viewed as being so low that they don't matter.

I asked a Thai about this before, and their reply was 'If you go into the bathroom and there is a cat or dog in there, do you care?'

Not my opinion, the Thais, I found it quite disgusting.

Went for a slash once and there was a male attendant in Bangkok. As i was having a piss he started to give me a shoulder massage so out of shock i turned around and pissed on his trousers and shoes. He was not a happy man, but neither was I. Infact i was furious and almost punched him out.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Obviously you haven't traveled much.  There are even places in farangland where you can pee on the street with crowds passing by. I'm assuming you're from somewhere like Utah or North Dakota??

pissoir.jpg.4d1f4ac122c81e2ba936e0d9d37f6ced.jpg

Reading the comments and my mind flies to North Carolina. There would be cases of apoplexy for sure.

The ladies cleaning the toilet doesn't bother me at all, they do a damn fine job in most places I think.

But the guys giving you a neck rub while you're peeing !!, I'm not up for that !!
Came across it twice, once in a bar in Ayutthaya and it was mildly irritating, I just waved him away.
The second time was in a restaurant with live music, a big old place in Pathum Thani where there was about 5 young male kids in white suits trying massage/molest you in the loo, it was well over the top and I lost my rag !!, one guy rubbing your neck is passable but 5 kids running their hands over you when you're trying to pee is not on !!

And no these weren't gay bars before anyone suggests it .

I think I've gotten used to that, but I do occasionally revert back to US thinking and start to step back outside to let her finish.  Ah, but then I remember I'm in Thailand.  

What I haven't gotten used to is the arrangement in one restaurant we go to from time to time where I have a choice of two urinals.  At one you can smile at all the people in the restaurant and at the other you can look through the vent fan and see what the cook is up to. 

I've seen outdoor urinals both in Amsterdam and in Saint-Denis on the outskirts of Paris.  I suppose it's better than having drunks pissing on the walls.

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

A few years ago I paid a visit to a lavatory connected to a bar in Chiang Mai. I noticed a Thai man sitting on a stool as I walked in, an just thought  he was an attendant of some sort and paid him no heed. So I'm standing at the urinal and the guy sneaks up behind me an starts massaging my neck an shoulders, He actually cracked the bones in my neck, and I almost peed allover the floor. I honestly thought I was being mugged. I didn't give him a tip....

Have you ever had the prongs treatment squeezing the last drop?

MrNeilThai said :

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you cleaning the floor while you are using the urinal

Just shows you have'nt traveled all over the world. I first met ladies cleaning the lavortories in the airport in Tokyo when I was flying to Thailand. Can also be seen in Hong Kong , Korea and as other posters have said Spain as well. No big deal was a surprise when I frst saw in Tokyo and then Thailand but later I realised it was like an Asian thing doesn't bother me. Sometimes I give them a tip for well cleaned bathroom.

14 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

7 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you

From Suradit69:

Obviously you haven't traveled much.  There are even places in farangland where you can pee on the street with crowds passing by. I'm assuming you're from somewhere like Utah or North Dakota??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Suradit 69

I am sorry that you are so miserable as to need to insult someone based on one line from their posting. Try reading the whole thing next time. The intent of the post was to spark a discussion.  The post highlights some of the perceived pros and cons of this practice.

The reason for the posting is that I often welcome guests to Thailand that haven’t been to Asia before and this is something everyone always mentions. No one has any serious problem about it however they are not used to it therefore it comes up in conversation.

It shows low character to make fun of someone for being from Utah or North Dakota. For one nobody can control where they are from.  It is also of low character to insult someone for not traveling a lot. 42 million Americans suffer from hunger.  Travel is not a necessity or possibility for a large percentage of people alive today.

BTW: I am from neither place you have mentioned and have been fortunate to be able to travel to a substantial number of countries in my life.

I hope you find happiness.

Not only Suradit 69 but myself and others who replied to your post made similar comments about your lack of travel or knowledge if you thought that Thailand was the only country in the world that had ladies cleaning the lavatories. You saw also from replies that after initial surprise no one gives it a second thought now . We are not making fun of those not able to afford traveling the world but of your comment as if you had traveled much and wonder why only Thailand had women cleaners which is incorrect, don't be so sensitive to replies you asked for.

I first came across this in France.  Also as has been said, some public toilets have separate entrances for male and female only to meet in the same toilet on the other side.  No big deal.

7 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you

From Suradit69:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Suradit 69

I am sorry that you are so miserable as to need to insult someone based on one line from their posting. Try reading the whole thing next time. The intent of the post was to spark a discussion.  The post highlights some of the perceived pros and cons of this practice.

The reason for the posting is that I often welcome guests to Thailand that haven’t been to Asia before and this is something everyone always mentions. No one has any serious problem about it however they are not used to it therefore it comes up in conversation.

It shows low character to make fun of someone for being from Utah or North Dakota. For one nobody can control where they are from.  It is also of low character to insult someone for not traveling a lot. 42 million Americans suffer from hunger.  Travel is not a necessity or possibility for a large percentage of people alive today.

BTW: I am from neither place you have mentioned and have been fortunate to be able to travel to a substantial number of countries in my life.

I hope you find happiness.

Not only Suradit 69 but myself and others who replied to your post made similar comments about your lack of travel or knowledge if you thought that Thailand was the only country in the world that had ladies cleaning the lavatories. You saw also from replies that after initial surprise no one gives it a second thought now . We are not making fun of those not able to afford traveling the world but of your comment as if you had traveled much and wonder why only Thailand had women cleaners which is incorrect, don't be so sensitive to replies you asked for.

Tony125

Below is the original post. Only the last paragraph asked for a response. Why does any of it have to be personal?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you cleaning the floor while you are using the urinal. I cant understand if these cleaning ladies are viewed as being so low that they don't matter. Surely they must accidentally see a lot of guys junk. On the other hand the bathrooms are always real clean and never smell bad. Also if you get a toilet it is always clean and there is never any #1 or #2 on the toilet.

I have told this to people who have never been to Thailand and they don't believe it. Also, I have told it to Thai women(who never use the men's room) and they also don't believe it or don't know about it.

How do you feel about this? Are you in disbelief. Is a price worth paying to have super clean bathrooms?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is clearly nothing in the post that asks for an attack on the poster. Let me help you with more silly attacks that don’t answer the question:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have told this to people who have never been to Thailand and they don't believe it.

Sample Reply: Obviously your friends who have never been to Thailand

aren’t very open minded. I told it to my friends who have never been here and they all believed it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have told it to Thai women(who never use the men's room) and they also don't believe it or don't know about it.

Sample Reply: Obviously, the Thai women you talk to aren’t very current on local sanitation practices. I told it to the Thai women I know and they all are aware. Most of them learned this in school

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And finally ….

How do you feel about this? Are you in disbelief. Is a price worth paying to have super clean bathrooms?

Sample Reply: I choose to ignore the actual questions about the post and simply write something negative about you.  

Wow. What what gratitude :) Mother knows best. If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

When I was stationed at Camp Samae San outside Sattahip in the early '70s you would see people squatting by the side of the road doing their business early in the mornings. Taking a road trip there were no gas stations with toilets for long distances. If you had to go to the bathroom you asked the driver to stop and walked a few meters away from the road so you were somewhat screened by bushes. I don't recall that cleaning ladies in the rest room ever bothered me. Indeed, I could not understand the flurry of new "toilet laws" in the states requiring transgendered people to use the bathroom assigned to the sex on their birth certificate. I don't have any idea how that's going to work, but I really would not want a katoey, no matter how beautiful, to be using the urinal next to me. I suppose I'd get used to it pretty quickly, but I don't get why it's supposed to be a big deal.

9 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

Wow. What what gratitude :) Mother knows best. If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything.

Geez OP, after 4 pages of people telling you that it's not unique to Thailand, you still can't admit that you're wrong.  Perhaps you're not well-traveled...nothing to be ashamed of.  The problem is your condescending attitude.  If you'd just say "Wow, women are cleaning the men's room, that's odd..." that would have been the end of that.  But you criticize it as if the whole of Thai society is doing something criminal.  And then this gem..."I cant understand if these cleaning ladies are viewed as being so low that they don't matter."  What would possess you to say something so insanely stupid?  It just means that YOU are looking down on these women.  Nobody else views these women as "being so low" except for you. 

Like you every time I use a public bathroom, there is a woman cleaning inside.  I have brought this up to my wife.  Her reasoning makes sense.  They hire women because the women can be used for both the women's and men's bathrooms.  Just ignore it.

Back in 1978, I had to go to the Immigration Office in BKK.  In order for the women to go to the ladies room, they had to walk past men who were standing at the urinals.  That was something different for me to see.  But, TIT, This is Thailand.

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Geez OP, after 4 pages of people telling you that it's not unique to Thailand, you still can't admit that you're wrong.  Perhaps you're not well-traveled...nothing to be ashamed of.  The problem is your condescending attitude.  If you'd just say "Wow, women are cleaning the men's room, that's odd..." that would have been the end of that.  But you criticize it as if the whole of Thai society is doing something criminal.  And then this gem..."I cant understand if these cleaning ladies are viewed as being so low that they don't matter."  What would possess you to say something so insanely stupid?  It just means that YOU are looking down on these women.  Nobody else views these women as "being so low" except for you. 

I love the irony of this post. He is intellectually superior because he has a far better knowledge of public bathroom cleaning practices worldwide and he looks down on those who are not as informed as he is.  Some call it cottaging.

What does bother me is when they close down the toilets to clean. I got off a long journey at Swampy about two years ago and was desperate for the sit down, only to find the women cleaners had closed the two nearest toilets. I pushed passed a complaining cleaner at the third, which was also "closed", for fear of soiling my pants and found they were just waiting for the floor to dry. It was a long walk...

There has always been women in the gents, but I prefer they don't use the urinals as they cannot "aim" and can be distracting. In these days of equality though I feel obliged to complain in the same way as they do if you mistakenly enter the wrong door and are confronted by irate women branding you a filthy pervert.

As for the LBGT brigade, they should use the cubicles and not hang around the wash area in the mensroom.

:huh: