Chinese tourist loses half a gold necklace in Pattaya snatch!

webfact

Chinese tourist loses half a gold necklace in Pattaya snatch!

4pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- Things could have been worse for a Chinese tourist in Pattaya yesterday - a motorcycle snatch thief got away with just half of his valuable gold necklace.

Xu Jinqiang ,31, fought back when a thief on a motorcycle grabbed the 120,000 baht gold chain as he and his wife were returning to their hotel after buying some things at a convenience store, reported Pattaya News.

The thief revved off and fled the scene eluding police efforts to capture him.

The theft happened outside the Rim Khong Moo Katha restaurant in Soi Mom Luang Cheun Jai 3.

Police said that snatch thefts were happening frequently and advised people not to wear gold necklaces.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-02

14 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Why doesn't the police use some undercovertricks and dress like tourists with golden chains themselves?

OK but IMHO there is a case to say beware, and especially in places like Pattaya.

It's not the end of the world to leave the gold chain in the hotel safe or leave it in China. 

In places like Pattaya (and more) I have little doubt that snatch thieves are wandering around all the time to find their next snatch target and the very probably know, on sight, what necklaces etc., are very valuable. In other words they find a target and then pounce.

All the more reason to leave items that are this valuable in the hotel safe / leave it in China. Same scenario probably also applies to when home in China, and many other countries also. 

Edited by scorecard

Another day, another necklace.

Sure you can say: stupid, leave it at home.

On the other hand: what a sad place it has become.

Only for the smart travelers.

I wonder what the advertising brochures in China tell about Thailand/Pattaya?

I am afraid no security tips?

OK but IMHO there is a case to say beware, and especially in places like Pattaya.

It's not the end of the world to leave the gold chain in the hotel safe or leave it in China. 

In places like Pattaya (and more) I have little doubt that snatch thieves are wandering around all the time to find their next snatch target and the very probably know, on sight, what necklaces etc., are very valuable. In other words they find a target and then pounce.

All the more reason to leave items that are this valuable in the hotel safe / leave it in China. Same scenario probably also applies to when home in China, and many other countries also. 

If it's the Thai gold these thieves crave due to easy conversion into money then they bought it here, not in China.

It's this special type of jewelry that's basically the same as wearing cash that makes this "enterprise" so attractive for these local scumbags. It's as easy as snatching candy from a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, docshock13 said:

"Chinese tourist loses half a gold necklace in Pattaya snatch!"

Well I've known some that have lost their dignity and more in Pattaya snatches. 

Sorry. Couldn't resist. 

You just ruined my reply you rat!

I don't feel sorry for these folks getting ripped off, in fact, their stupid. Why would this kid wear a 120,000 THB necklace in the

ripoff capital of Pattaya. Whoes he trying to impress. My wife  and I just returned from holiday in Europe and all the info we read

leave your jewelry at home. This Chinese Kid should have done some research before he showed off his beautiful gold necklace.

And now it's half gone. Better luck next year and leave it at home before you visit the Vatican!

For your information... a gold necklace sometimes with a Buddha image pendant, along with all the Chinese superstitions and Feng Shui stuff some believe in, it is considered extremely bad luck to take it off.

Seriously. He should have covered it up, don't think he was aware and don't think he was trying to impress anyone, just wrong place, wrong time and a newbie to Thailand. Could happen to anyone. Same as my friend in Chonburi, Air, got dragged fifty metres on the road after some motocy guy tried to snatch her bag.

Rule of thumb never flash the bling.

Edited by Minnie the Minx
typo

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Why doesn't the police use some undercovertricks and dress like tourists with golden chains themselves?

Would that not be entrapment? Probably not in Thailand.

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

I don't feel sorry for these folks getting ripped off, in fact, their stupid. Why would this kid wear a 120,000 THB necklace in the

ripoff capital of Pattaya. Whoes he trying to impress. My wife  and I just returned from holiday in Europe and all the info we read

leave your jewelry at home. This Chinese Kid should have done some research before he showed off his beautiful gold necklace.

And now it's half gone. Better luck next year and leave it at home before you visit the Vatican!

The guy can't help being effiminate.

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

For your information... a gold necklace sometimes with a Buddha image pendant, along with all the Chinese superstitions and Feng Shui stuff some believe in, it is considered extremely bad luck to take it off.

Seriously. He should have covered it up, don't think he was aware and don't think he was trying to impress anyone, just wrong place, wrong time and a newbie to Thailand. Could happen to anyone. Same as my friend in Chonburi, Air, got dragged fifty metres on the road after some motocy guy tried to snatch her bag.

Seemed even WORSE luck leaving it ON.....welcome to thaland..buddha is in hiding maybe  :wai:

11 hours ago, fruitman said:

'Cos their frightened of getting scratched in the lifting.Or getting a 8 inch stilleto over the bonce.

8 hours ago, jesimps said:

You just ruined my reply you rat!

Actually I'm a "beaver." In any case, we are on the same page. Hilarious headline. As I was typing on my phone, I was hoping nobody scooped my scoop on the headline. Trying to get it in fast as I can. Sorry I beat u to it. 

4 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Where are they selling this non-Thai gold? Should be easy to trace, not very popular 

There are gold shops all over, seemingly as many as there are 7-11s, and all will accept gold for buying.

I agree some control on these shops in that they simply record tan obligatory ID of anyone selling gold, and if a persons name pops up a few times too often, the police get involved.

Many suggest 'leave it in the hotel', well the hotels can't be trusted too! Some cheaper hotels do not have safes, some have safes that you can pick up and move around, and some have a wayward employee or owners son!

Ensuring all tourists are warned is another approach. Add rip-offs and xenophobia to the dangerous Thai snatch!

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, fruitman said:

Because as long as they keep on coming, nobody cares. If they cared the police/army would target  these lowlifes directly. 

Edited by morrobay

17 hours ago, survivalblue said:

This happens all the time, these tourists sadly deserve to be snatched of their bling bling.

Just on the pure stupidity that they wear it in the first place.

And I suppose you think these lowlifes deserve the gold too. Get back from lunch Bud. 

Don't need 6baht necklace displayed openly for good luck or Feng C. Kid showing off how rich his family is.... Perhaps deserves what he got.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:25 AM, fruitman said:

In this day & age, the police could have fake gold neckkaces made with miniature emitters inside that would even allow the necklace to be tracked down like a lost iPhone.  Then send out the undercover guys wearing them...  A little later, a cop with a laptop takes a drive and makes the arrest.  If sufficient miniaturization is too tall an order just add a pendant big enough to house the emitter.  Vary the chain/pendant design so the snatcher community can't easily get to where they can identify them. 

Edited by hawker9000