Weather in Bangkok - it's getting tough

CLW

I'm used to hot weather and also the climate in Bangkok.

But nowadays​ it's unbearable, especially because of the high humidity and none or little wind.

Just this morning at 7am I read 31°C and a relative humidity of 80%.

AccuWeather says the feeled temperature is 39°C and so is my feeling.

It literally takes just seconds after shower or leaving AC rooms and you are soaked.

Also due to the high humidity it's very difficult to cool your body by transpiration.

How do you feel about the recent weather in Bangkok?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know it's too hot when you're checking the weather sites, which I wouldn't normally do because it's always hot here. 

I normally walk the 1 km to the Phra Khanong BTS. But when I stepped outside into the steam cauldron yesterday, I took a moto taxi. That seemed to make it even worse, especially when riding out onto Rama 4 where  the waves of heat seared my forehead. Wow. A later check of the Weather Underground showed it to be only 34 but with a 46C humidex. I was most thankful for the occasional overcast.

But climbing the stairs from Silom to get to the MRT Silom or standing on the Phrom Pong BTS platform was almost unbearable, a feeling I hadn't had in a long time except when I first arrived here 13 years ago. Could be that my recent 3 weeks in Canada chilled my heat acclimatization. Maybe not. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

the humidity has really kicked in.  the site i checked said 60%.  i dont believe it.  i was out most of the day yesterday.  couldnt walk 5 minutes without sweat pouring out of my skin.  lots of water and stops in a/c shelter helped. normally i barely break a sweat during my usual routine.

It is the same upcountry in rural Khampaeng Phet.

It was 35C yesterday afternoon in my bedroom when I went for a nap and 31 when I woke up an hour later with the a/c and fan on.

30 when I went to bed using only the fan and 28 this morning when I got up a 6am.

I am now eating a small tub of Walls vanilla ice cream.

Edited by billd766

the weather in bangkok is pretty much the same for this time of year as it has been for the last 20 years i can remember.

crank the air, visit the pool, call uber and take another shower. 

3 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

the weather in bangkok is pretty much the same for this time of year as it has been for the last 20 years i can remember.

crank the air, visit the pool, call uber and take another shower. 

In my view it has been a lot worse this year and have lived here continually for the last 25 years.  Thai wife agrees.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

In my view it has been a lot worse this year and have lived here continually for the last 25 years.  Thai wife agrees.

Agree, it certainly feels a lot hotter than the previous years, Wifey complaining about the heat, chooks have stopped laying.

Just now, Razzler1973 said:

I live in Dubai and I call this 'a pleasant day', you damn lightweights! :P

And I lived in New Delhi with much higher temps - but not the humidity here - where a 1 degree temp drop would put you under water.

I feel with you.

Here we a have a mild 38°C and 41% humidity :smile:

It must be the humidity.

No record temperatures this year so far.

No message about power consumption on the edge as last year.

I was waiting in vain for the "max power/save power" reports for April 26/27 (solar eclipse in Bangkok) as in most other years.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And I lived in New Delhi with much higher temps - but not the humidity here - where a 1 degree temp drop would put you under water.

We get up to 50 here but I have been in India when temperatures have been the same and it doesn't have the air con'd malls we have here!

It's not pleasant.

I have to say, there's something about the humudity in Thailand/Malaysia, etc that gets me. I think the big difference is here in Dubai we just wouldn't go outside much whereas when I am in Thailand I don't follow those rules. I want to get out there walking places cause I love it and I want to eat some hot street food in the freaking heat so I guess the humidity affects me more cause I'm in it more!

Here, yeah, I'm not going out in that! :ph34r:

Right now, at 2 p.m. in Kaeng Krachan, temp is 39 and humidity 33%.  Equals a balmy heat index of 42.5 C.  It's been like this the majority of days since March.  Our electric bill is about the same as a small village.

What I think gets you here is mostly the humidity, not the heat.
I've learned to cope with heat pretty well over the last 6 years, to the point I have to set the aircon not less than 29-30 or i'd feel cold.
But as soon as the humidity strikes, any temperature makes me sweat.

I feel it especially evening when I do my daily 4 kms walk.
During the dry season I might start to sweat after 1.5 - 2 Kms, but it's reasonnable.
Now, even if I shower cold before walking, after 5 mn I sweat, and after 10 mn i'm totally drenched, it's running down my forehead, arms, all upper body.

It's gonna be better from June on, stay tough:-)
And always remember, it's better 1-2 months of heat here than 4-6months of ugly cold humid weather like in most western countries.

Edited by franck1972

Thank goodness.  I thought it was just me and my old(er) age catching up with me.  Electric bill was almost double a typical month, but I did have company so the A/C was running pretty much 24/7 instead of just after work for the entire month.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Thank goodness.  I thought it was just me and my old(er) age catching up with me.  Electric bill was almost double a typical month, but I did have company so the A/C was running pretty much 24/7 instead of just after work for the entire month.

I don't set the aircon any colder during humid days, but I switch the fan to 2-3 instead of 1, keeps you dry.

Well we have already had the first hints of the coming rains.

Thunder here on Saturday , Sunday and yesterday.

Actual rain on Monday, but did not last long.

The thunderstorms are coming and it will be hot with high humidity in May.

May has only begun.

It will do what it will as it does every year at it's own schedule.

Man proposes,,God discloses as always..

Deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I spent 3 days in Bangkok recently.. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there... hot, steamy, dirty air!!  Yuk!  ..and expensive rent plus aircon..   ????

Great food from just about any area of the world.  Good taxi service at very reasonable rates,  The best medical facilities in the area.  Immigration office with clear rules.  Air transportation to the world.  Top schools and education facilities.  The best choice of shopping in the country.  Abundance of good hotels.  Very reasonable rent outside of central areas.  Air conditioning that works on power that does not fail.  

Negatives there are - but overall it is normally a very pleasant place to live.