Thai govt urged to limit number of new restaurants

webfact

Govt urged to limit number of new restaurants

PNECO600503001001201.jpg

BANGKOK, 3 May 2017 (NNT) - The Thai Restaurant Association has called on the government to control new restaurant growth, amid the sluggish economy. 

Association President Thaniwan Kulmongkol said she wanted the government to consider enforcing measures to control the number of new restaurant opening, given the sluggish economy. 

She explained that the restaurant industry has become saturated with new eateries, while people have become more economical. People are increasingly turning to street-side restaurants, which offer more affordable choices, or are placing fewer orders when they do eat at restaurants, causing many establishments to close down. 

She also pointed out that not all restaurants will benefit equally from the increase in tourist arrivals. Factors, such as the types of cuisine or the restaurant's business ties with the tour agency, also determine the number of patrons.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-03

Competition should be fair. Right now it's not fair that some restaurant have to pay all taxes, be right with hygiene and safety, pay minimum wages, have licenses and restrooms and all those (costly) things, while other so called restaurants, often encroaching on public land, sell cheaper product just because they don't pay anything... This is not competition, is deregulation and is making life impossible for who play by the rules, while delinquents of any sort are free to cash whatever they want.

Same things with taxis, believe me, I'm not a big fan of them, but they are required proper licenses, even a proper attire. They have to pay for proper license plates and all the rest, the come into the market Grab or Uber and everybody is taxi driver with no obligation whatsoever. So the rules apply for everyone or not???

Not worried at all, although I work in the hospitality business, I do have a different market to cater for. Street food won't be banned, no matter how big titles on first pages are, it won't be banned. I just feel that once again, rules are made, then are not enforced, people keeps doing whatever they want and who pay the price is always the right guys...

I guess Supply and Demand doesn't work here.  The rich must own all the restaurants and don't want others stepping in on their grounds.      If Supply and Demand doesn't work just ask the government for help.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but in NZ such a system exists. If there is a Thai restaurant for example existing then it will be almost impossible to get permission to open another one ( Thai) in that area. 

The restaurants have to survive and depend on their pricing and reputation. Fall short on either then business soon goes. 

What impact may it have if the government restricted restaurants?

I cannot understand the logic behind the possible restrictions?

I thought tourism was on the up. Employment was low and that Bangkok is supposedly the best city in the world for eating out!

I'm missing something. Ah! A beer.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but in NZ such a system exists. If there is a Thai restaurant for example existing then it will be almost impossible to get permission to open another one ( Thai) in that area. 

The restaurants have to survive and depend on their pricing and reputation. Fall short on either then business soon goes. 

A neighborhood can handle two Thai restaurants or at least the better one

Being babysat by one's Nanny State :passifier:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

People are increasingly turning to street-side restaurants, which offer more affordable choices, or are placing fewer orders when they do eat at restaurants, causing many establishments to close down. 

So protectionism from own citizens.

Now there's a thing

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I guess Supply and Demand doesn't work here.  The rich must own all the restaurants and don't want others stepping in on their grounds.      If Supply and Demand doesn't work just ask the government for help.

Personally I'm shocked they didn't call for article 44 to enforce this.

Edited by Bluespunk

sluggish economy?

I thought everything was coming up roses and mega tourists

They have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot do they not.

My old mate was right when he asked me what Thai meant in English.

Edited by wakeupplease

Not sure if the Thai Restaurant Association understands that with the numbers from the TAT

they should be building new restaurants as fast as possible. Shrimp farms as well. :tongue:

On 5/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, Iquot70 said:

Not worried at all, although I work in the hospitality business, I do have a different market to cater for. Street food won't be banned, no matter how big titles on first pages are, it won't be banned. I just feel that once again, rules are made, then are not enforced, people keeps doing whatever they want and who pay the price is always the right guys...

That's the way it is here yes~all talk and no enforcement~unless you are singled out

On 5/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, robblok said:

Oh dear.. we dont want any more competition.. please.. we can't handle it.. we dont want to improve or lower our prices.. please just kill the competition.

Fits in the way the junta wants to rule.....

We want boat, we get boat... we don't want restaurant, no restaurant.... that's the way this kids play...