Pattaya Uber wars - but this time it's all a big misunderstanding!

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feral, wild, brutish thugs free to roam and do as they please with no fear whatsoever of any police action or consequences. A very dangerous state of affairs.

There is no law, no justice, no one to turn to in Thailand.

An utterly corrupt, rotten police state overseen by a military dictatorship.

Welcome tourists, to Thailand in 2017.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I'll find out. I'm going taxi-meter baiting when I hit Pattaya next.

Double park on the taxi rank outside The Avenue, wait for three friends to come from Villa with their shopping and climb in.

...just need to find three friends.

Well you have 3 likes, so job sorted.?

While the methods used are unacceptable, we can all sympathize with a taxi driver who has just bought a car on credit 1 year ago to find out that Uber is going to take that business away from him. I think a compromise is needed. Either charge competitive rates or succumb. Each method has its advantages. One might be safer; another might be faster. There are many. Customers should decide. To be honest, some taxi drivers and companies have left a bad taste in some people's mouth. It is time to pay the piper.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Has nothing to do with egos.  It's pure economical.  That's not saying it's not despicable, but it's not about egos.

Try going out every morning for 6 months in a row with only 50 baht in your pocket for your all discretionary spending.  Then  imagine how you'd feel about someone horning in and reducing even that amount.  Now imagine doing that your entire life and you have a sense of how these guys feel.  Wrong?  Yes.   But understandable, especially since they're paying someone off.

Sadly, they're blaming Uber and Uber drivers, instead of the powers that be who keep them trapped in an archaic and corrupt system that benefits only the elite and just leaves crumbs for the worker bees.

Good grief- a humane and sensible post.

Not many of the taxi drivers own their own cabs- they rent them by the day and it's difficult to make a decent wage.

Uber has been challenged legally in many cities- but they throw in the big gun lawyers and the taxi guys don't have much of a chance. Some cities have managed to ban them. 

Why has no one mentioned Grab taxi- they use proper taxis not private cars and fees are up front. Get to know a couple of drivers- then you will have no problems- help them out and you will get excellent service.

Why does any thread about Pattaya always attract the usual comments about the city- usually from people who don't live here and watch rice grow all day- they would probably be lucky to be able a hail an ox cart- and the usual - good heavens I paid 100baht too much! 

If this is not taxi mafia gang behaviour, i dont know what this is.

What gives them the right to chase down any vehicle picking up or alighting passengers. 

How do they determined which is an uber car or not.

This kind of behaviour is not only restricted against uber drivers.

If any other taxis come into the area where i lived, the local taxi mafia gang will chase them down n do the same.

How the hell did thety assemble 20 taxis together at the drop of a hat? Obviouly a planned exercise on whatever pretext. Have to feel sorry for the lady driver and totally disagree with the bleeding heart liberal view that these mongrels only stert the day with 50 Bt in their pockets. No excuse for scareing the crap out of some innocent lady just doing her job.

11 hours ago, tracker1 said:

When police arrived they discovered a threatening situation.Police do anything to the taxi drivers ! what would have happened if she was a Uber driver Police still do nothing ? Seems to me of things to come !

Taxi mafia in Pattaya bully one Thai woman who was just doing her job. (Wonder how many blokes they where and what kind of weapon they where armed with)

How about a personal apologi  from each one of the Taxi bastards and some compensation for the <deleted> behavior ?

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Has nothing to do with egos.  It's pure economical.  That's not saying it's not despicable, but it's not about egos.

Try going out every morning for 6 months in a row with only 50 baht in your pocket for your all discretionary spending.  Then  imagine how you'd feel about someone horning in and reducing even that amount.  Now imagine doing that your entire life and you have a sense of how these guys feel.  Wrong?  Yes.   But understandable, especially since they're paying someone off.

Sadly, they're blaming Uber and Uber drivers, instead of the powers that be who keep them trapped in an archaic and corrupt system that benefits only the elite and just leaves crumbs for the worker bees.

You're completely ignoring how much more business they could be doing regularly if they were operating honestly instead of like a bunch of mobsters. It's their well-earned reputation for greed and intimidation that has them sitting on their butts all day long. So boohoo - let 'em starve.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

If that is their reality, it is time to find another career.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

How the hell did thety assemble 20 taxis together at the drop of a hat? Obviouly a planned exercise on whatever pretext. Have to feel sorry for the lady driver and totally disagree with the bleeding heart liberal view that these mongrels only stert the day with 50 Bt in their pockets. No excuse for scareing the crap out of some innocent lady just doing her job.

They should have walkie talkies, thats how the mafia taxi where i lived communicate with each other. 

The mafia taxis around my area earn about 30 to 40k THB a month from ferrying students to the university and residents around the area.

They are not registered with the cab companies anymore even though they are still driving the cab.

Of cos they pay a monthly fee to the police station nearby to operate this way.

Taxis from outside can ferry people in but cannot pick up passengers from this area. The latter can only pick passengers up if they are travelling to outside of the area. 

Now why are some taxis resistant to uber? Fear of losing the monopoly of the market?

12 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

You're completely ignoring how much more business they could be doing regularly if they were operating honestly instead of like a bunch of mobsters. It's their well-earned reputation for greed and intimidation that has them sitting on their butts all day long. So boohoo - let 'em starve.

yes, exactly, they have only themselves to blame. If they would turn on the meters and behave nicely i would use them over uber any day. I tried getting a real taxi through grab a couple of months ago, the app showed me one price estimate, ofcourse the greedy snake called and demanded 5x the estimate... Never again.

17 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

".............. no charges were sought or filed". What a Joke. Why don't fine this Taxi- Idiots heavely. Compulsion and threats are a usual behavior in Thailand?

Looks like they are in bed with police, behave like in bed with police, smells like in bed with police.. Probably are....in bed with police

Well, I am sure the three Chinese customers were very convinced of safety and the efficiency of the Royal Thai Police and bought condominiums to no end.

Thailand is not only the laughing stock of Planet Earth but indeed in the fast lane to destruct absolutely everything. 

The taxi drivers should all be losing their licenses, the police officers in charge to get demoted and the Chinese to be apologized for this incredible misunderstanding. 

Uber has arrived and unless the mafia gets used to charge normal fares they will be extinct anytime soon because people will gear up with weapons - the writing is on the wall. 

Sounds to me the taxis were behaving like mafia thugs. There must be several charges that could be laid upon them and I hope some punishment is forthcoming. Losing their licenses is one idea, or perhaps their concessions at various prime spots in town.

Where is a taxi when you want one, now we have an idea.

Take them to court. Claim the chinese backed out of the deal and seek damages along with court costs. This along with the gang mentality and harrasment etc might atleast get them a couple hundred baht fine or something.
Maybe the public should start doing the same to these idiots. Harrass them back. Chase them down and get them off the public roads. No one wants nor needs them really.

I cant for the life of me understand how taxis are even allowed to operate in this country.

Police are cowards, taxis are cowards, thais are cowards. Weak people incapable of doing anything because there scared which results in a lawless society where the public is controlled by fear of the police, government and even taxis to name but a few.

Seems no one will ever stand up for the good of thai society. Well not thais anyway. Too scared!

Amazing thailand!

Im feeling more happy :)

21 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Not many of the taxi drivers own their own cabs- they rent them by the day and it's difficult to make a decent wage.

But they could make a whole lot of money if they used the meters as more people would use them more frequently. But that would mean actually doing their job of taking people to their chosen destination for a fair, metered charge instead of lying around snoozing, sucking down the odd bowl of noodles and scratching their asses while the other hand is out for the gullible or desperate foreigner who will pay 500 baht for a run home to Jomtien with the shopping.

For some reason, the OWNERS of the cabs forbid the OPERATORS of the cabs from using the meters. It was like this for many, many years in Bangkok. Someone will come along and remind us what particular event ended this situation in Bangkok and why 98% of Bangkok taxis will now use the meter. The other 2% stalk the airport run routes from the bottom end of Sukhumvit BTW.

Uber has been challenged legally in many cities- but they throw in the big gun lawyers and the taxi guys don't have much of a chance.

Yes, the poor, impoverished Pattaya taxi owners cooperative mafia roll over when Uber walks into town.... or they arm up, stalk and chase down suspected Uber drivers because the only way to protect the living that they aren't making is to beat up on people who want to make a living. This and strong arming 200 baht 'fees' out of out-of-town taxis caught picking up a hire in public. Yes, yes, I can see now that it is clearly all a huge misunderstanding.

Why does any thread about Pattaya always attract the usual comments about the city- usually from people who don't live here and watch rice grow all day- they would probably be lucky to be able a hail an ox cart- and the usual - good heavens I paid 100baht too much! 

If you don't believe the above precis, then you may be one that isn't personally living the Pattaya dream. Definitely not one that is riding the Pattaya baht bus nightmare.

6 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

i know in cm uber exist,but they keep a low profile.i know many people use  them too

Not low enough, apparently. The dolts from DOLT actually got off their a____s long enough to pull in eighteen of them and fine them B2,000 each, while allowing the whining songtaew drivers to continue their life of scams.