Ants crawling around

THAIPHUKET

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regard ants as your best little friends around the house. I do. They provide four great services.

1. They show you where you are failing to seal your food properly.

2. They remove food droppings  that you may have missed.

3. They hoover up insects that have died around your house.

4. They shamelessly point out to you where your hygiene standards may be slipping.

Make them welcome. They mean you no harm and they do you no harm.

3 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Moonlover I need to stop it before stage4
Tonyray I like your solution and even more the reason why they are more active.tks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That is the tongue in cheek point of what I'm saying.

We learned all these lessons the hard way ourselves. Good luck :smile:

5. They bite you and the very tiny ones with the red butt (or is it head?) really pack a wallop. 

6. They often like to nest in places you would rather not have them, like in your laptop or under the hot water dispenser. 

If you really want to make a dent in their colony instead of just repelling them:

1) Melt some palm sugar and create a slurry of sugar and Boric Acid, which you can likely get at a Pharmacy.

2) Place the 'bait' near where you see the trails of ants now

Here is the part that most don't like. This will in the short term increase the number of ants 100 fold. Don't be alarmed, what they are doing is feeding on the slurry and taking it back to the  colony to feed the queen. Once she is dead, no more eggs are laid and in about 2 to 3 weeks the colony will die...and they will be gone. Let them feed for 2 weeks and problem will be solved. Keep putting out fresh bait every day.

Get some ant chalk,its like a piece of chalk, draw lines on the places they are

crawling over, it will get rid of them quickly,also its cheap and better than using

sprays. 19 thb for five sticks ,in local market.

regards worgeordie

They had little packets (white packet) of ant stuff at Tops that I use to buy .....  Every time I had a problem I just open it and pour it on the ground near where the ants were coming and going.... and day by day (one, two or three) there were less and less.... then none.... and they would all be dead....  My sister was having a similar problem in Vietnam and I gave her the same stuff and poof.... genocide of the insect masses....

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

They had little packets (white packet) of ant stuff at Tops that I use to buy .....  Every time I had a problem I just open it and pour it on the ground near where the ants were coming and going.... and day by day (one, two or three) there were less and less.... then none.... and they would all be dead....  My sister was having a similar problem in Vietnam and I gave her the same stuff and poof.... genocide of the insect masses....

what does the fine print say under ingredients for that wmd ?.....lol

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

ants don't like salt, i throw salt down their entrances and mist some water to moisten it....doesnt take long for them to get the idea they are not wanted.

So they move to your neighbors house?

On 5/4/2017 at 8:56 PM, Moonlover said:

Regard ants as your best little friends around the house. I do. They provide four great services.

1. They show you where you are failing to seal your food properly.

2. They remove food droppings  that you may have missed.

3. They hoover up insects that have died around your house.

4. They shamelessly point out to you where your hygiene standards may be slipping.

Make them welcome. They mean you no harm and they do you no harm.

Wrong, kill as many as you can, some species do bite, and they get into your food and contaminate it.

They get on to your feet when you are on your computer. Kill every one you see.

Some supermarkets and most of the hardware outlets like HomePro or Thai Watsadu stock ARS powder. 

When we first moved into our shophouse we were overrun by those small orange ants which also have a nasty bite.

ARS powder comes in various guises such as a puffer pack and a small green box/trap (See image).

I put one of these traps in the ant trails anywhere I found them and used the powder for walls/architraves etc.

They were gone in about 2 months and hadn't had a problem again for about 3 years so very impressed. 

They are only just now starting to return in a small way and I use the powder or put the occasional trap out.

s-l1600.jpg

Throw the wifes paing around. Seems they dont like the powder on their feet. Other thing is ants climb when they think its going to rain and we are heading into rainy season. They got into the ear buds this morning, so they do like to make nests so best check laptop bags and anything else bagged away and keep stuff off the floor.  Having empty houses with minimum furnishings and clutter really helps.

Talking about bizarre things we were driving the other day and a tree frog jumped up onto my leg and then tried to jump out of the closed window. So opened the window and pushed it out.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Another reason to use termite killer is it kills coackroaches as well!

I live in Isaan. Cockroaches are not a problem. They eat them here. In fact you can buy them alive at the market to take home and cook yourself. Wife bought some last week still crawling around in a plastic bag. If you squeezed the bag they made a croaking sound like frogs. Quite fun really.