Thai editorial: Trump is risking a diplomatic disaster

webfact

EDITORIAL

Trump is risking a diplomatic disaster
By The Nation

With US foreign policy in chaos, cheery invitations go out to Southeast Asia’s musclemen

BANGKOK: -- Just past the 100-day mark in the Donald Trump presidency, it’s likely that whatever emanates from the Oval Office is likely to get worse in terms of the incumbent’s behaviour.

He is perpetuating fake news and other lies every day. Thanks to him, the boundaries that separate the developed and developing worlds – decency and indecency, tyranny and democracy – have effectively disappeared. Apparently he has decided that, to “make America great again”, he needs the help of dictators, killers and other hotheads overseas. 

The biggest winner in global politics today is North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong-un. His incessant rumblings on the warpath, both in word and deed, have somehow had an impact on Trump’s billionaire nerves. For decades the leaders of North Korea – Kim’s father and grandfather – used rogue strategies to gain world attention and then concessions to their needs and ambitions. The drumbeat sounded by endless missile tests in recent years has had the same effect, breaking Trump’s nerve and earning from him the assessment that Kim is a “pretty smart cookie” – and a suggestion they get together for a hamburger and a chat.

There will be more strangeness ahead in American diplomacy and interactions with the world. Trump talks no sense anymore, refuses to budge when corrected on his nonsense claims, and spreads misinformation like a banana-republic con man. 

This week Trump had major surprises for Southeast Asia, phoning Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday and the leaders of Thailand and Singapore the next day, inviting them all round to the While House. Ostensibly he wants their help in dealing with North Korea – an odd enough notion given how little sway these countries are likely to have with Pyongyang. Our Prime Minister, Prayut Chan-o-cha, must have been relieved that Trump didn’t mention the Kingdom’s closer friendship with China. But weaning Asian nations away from Beijing seems to be the actual intention in Washington. The US needs to stop China from taking over as the world’s biggest economy.

What the American public doesn’t realise at present is that US creditability abroad has been reduced to ashes since Trump’s inauguration. In place of reassuring pledges or any notable action plan for foreign affairs, we have seen only knee-jerk reactions and a failure among US news media to focus on this perilous decline in American influence. The focus is instead on responding to Trump’s deliberately distracting rhetoric. Expect this situation to worsen. Whatever Trump says will continue to dominate US headlines and network TV news amid analyses of the growing divide between domestic pro-Trump and anti-Trump camps that will in turn further perpetuate Trump mythmaking and mythology.

As matters stand, key positions in the US State Department and at embassies around the globe have yet to be filled. The resulting vacuum leaves American foreign policy being dictated by Trump and his close advisers, often on a whim and without the necessary background information, foresight or attention to political and diplomatic precedent. Under Trump, the US risks facing a world that is entirely anti-American. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30314287

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-05

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, webfact said:

What the American public doesn’t realise at present is that US creditability abroad has been reduced to ashes since Trump’s inauguration.

Americans abroad, 2% of the population, have seen this for some time, long before Trump.  The other 98% don't care.  When he got elected, everyone knew he was going engage in damaging behavior.  What is happening now should not be a surprise to anyone. 

I have no idea how many actually did forecast such a disaster if this guy was elected, but certainly the small group of US expats in my area sure did.

The article interestingly mentions "dictators, killers and other hotheads" in this region to meet with him. These people need sanctioning and disabling, not international fame at being invited to the White House!

Now do people realise that true democracy does not work especially when majority of the population are either uneducated or plain stupid! Just look at the US, they could an idiot into the office via democracy and elections. This is why Thailand does not need an election. Let Khun Prayuth and the NCPO remain in power for another 20 years. At least they are doing something things that no other government could do ...taming the thai population. Look ...no more street vendors blocking the pathways, beaches are being cleaned etc, drug dealers being caught, policemen running prostituition rings being caught, etc etc.  So what if there is even any signs of corruption. Tell me who is without sin.

US credibility abroad has been pretty poor for a very long time, but the article is correct in that it has gone way further south since.

Given the new leaders performance to date, most English people would have more faith in Basil Fawlty.

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

US credibility abroad has been pretty poor for a very long time, but the article is correct in that it has gone way further south since.

Given the new leaders performance to date, most English people would have more faith in Basil Fawlty.

I agree! Obama's hands off policies were a disaster, but Trump will make America Great Again, but it will take time to drain

the swamp! Give the man a chance he'll be in office until 2025.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

LOL.   :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

21 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Now do people realise that true democracy does not work especially when majority of the population are either uneducated or plain stupid! Just look at the US, they could an idiot into the office via democracy and elections. This is why Thailand does not need an election. Let Khun Prayuth and the NCPO remain in power for another 20 years. At least they are doing something things that no other government could do ...taming the thai population. Look ...no more street vendors blocking the pathways, beaches are being cleaned etc, drug dealers being caught, policemen running prostituition rings being caught, etc etc.  So what if there is even any signs of corruption. Tell me who is without sin.

correct 100%   .....   true democracy does not work  ...    especially when you have people like TS or YL at the top ... now in exile never to return.

The Junta control what happens and rules are made, this stops the bickering and squabbling and street fights and killings.

I am all for Khun Prayuth as PM as most thais have come to realize the same.

The US has been abusing their power during the last decades. I hoped that Trump will be elected as my guess was that he will contribute to the US loosing more power than it did already. The world needs a good power balance between a few players in order to have peace and control abusive power houses. I hope China is getting stronger and more involved.

Duterte was elected President, unlike another SE Asian leader whose name has slipped my mind...

Swamps are important part of ecology, and provide natural flood control..

"Drain the swamp!".... catchy phrase without any direct meaning. Get rid of bureaucrats who at least pretended to care about average Americans and replace with plutocracy & kleptocracy of Wall Street and the super rich?

Drain the swamp! Replace it with a desert!

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I have no idea how many actually did forecast such a disaster if this guy was elected, but certainly the small group of US expats in my area sure did.

The article interestingly mentions "dictators, killers and other hotheads" in this region to meet with him. These people need sanctioning and disabling, not international fame at being invited to the White House!

Don the Con is embarking on becoming "one of them" he wants to destroy U.S. democracy and be "supreme leader." He is gathering his fellow despots. Hope someone takes him out of our misery. 

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

So your premise is that true democracy (which I doubt you even know how to define that) do not work and the solution is dictatorship or feudalism. I thought that didn't work many many years ago which saw the rise of democracy. I guess you are person with low expectation and can co-exist with corruption, restriction of freedom and human rights abuses. This is the country made for you. Welcome.    

I feel the Nation is being a little harsh and unrealistic in it,s article, that,s why I never buy it. Donald was elected president of the U.S.A. so why not assist him in doing the things that promising to do got him voted in ? At the present moment in time the whole world is being rather undemocratic.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

I agree! Obama's hands off policies were a disaster, but Trump will make America Great Again, but it will take time to drain

I hope not

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

correct 100%   .....   true democracy does not work  ...    especially when you have people like TS or YL at the top ... now in exile never to return.

The Junta control what happens and rules are made, this stops the bickering and squabbling and street fights and killings.

I am all for Khun Prayuth as PM as most thais have come to realize the same.

You must be living in an Ivory tower, most Thais are keeping their heads down until they get the chance to remove the general

31 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I feel the Nation is being a little harsh and unrealistic in it,s article, that,s why I never buy it. Donald was elected president of the U.S.A. so why not assist him in doing the things that promising to do got him voted in ? At the present moment in time the whole world is being rather undemocratic.

That's how democracy works. He was legitimately elected and deserve the time to do the things that he promised and heal the division. He is the President for all, not just for his supporters. At the end of his tenure, the people will decide. Can't say the same for Thailand. 

56 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

Don the Con is embarking on becoming "one of them" he wants to destroy U.S. democracy and be "supreme leader." He is gathering his fellow despots. Hope someone takes him out of our misery. 

I give you 1,000 'likes'....I would be honored to perform the dirty deed...!

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

That is, of course, unless he sparks off a global nuclear war in 2020.

yardrunner,   while i respect your opinion, i find many thais are ok with the present government. In fact only last night while out at a party, a group of 20-30yr olds were discussing this exact thing and majority concluded that the Junta in power was better than the previous protests, road block and insecurity.

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yardrunner,   while i respect your opinion, i find many thais are ok with the present government. In fact only last night while out at a party, a group of 20-30yr olds were discussing this exact thing and majority concluded that the Junta in power was better than the previous protests, road block and insecurity.

When I go to a party in walking street, everyone there also agrees that loud music and alcohol is the way to go in life, but when i talk to people in East Pattaya they all think differently.

Democracy is the best of a bad bunch. At present there is no better system. If you want to have democracy, you have to educate your people to a certain level. You can't complain when they fall for people's lies. Trump elected, the Brexit, these are things people voted for, and boy are we learning as we go along. 

In the US they have the electoral college. This is supposed to ensure that America doesn't vote in a mad man,  but ironically 'Trumped' the popular vote that Clinton won. We now have Trump and are learning the hard way. Trump is also learning the hard way that he can't simply do whatever he likes. Checks and balances. 

Democracy will never function well in a country where there are no checks and balances. It's up to the people to speak out and fight against corruption and injustice. Sad but true. As for dictators, you get an unhappy peace. You'll never develop as a country with a dictator in charge. 

3 hours ago, tomwct said:

One sided article! I love President Trump and he'll be in office for almost 8 more years. Drain the Swamp!

It's more like strain the swamp as he brings ever more Wall Street billionaires into his government.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the leaders of Thailand and Singapore the next day, inviting them all round to the While House.

I just think Trump wants to know how to write a Presidential Order that works like Prayut's Article 44.

Then being President will be easy and Trump can focus more on his real estate empire.

Coming to a Soi near you : "Trump Mansion Condo" 

The licensing deals have Ivanka salivating. And with shipping from China to Thailand cheaper than to the US, she pockets more.

Only a matter of time until they start offering the "Trump Elite Visa", "the only requirement is you have to lie on your application' and of course the 2 million baht fee.