Pattaya taxis apologize for surrounding a female driver they suspected as Uber taxi driver

webfact

The thug and gangster taxi drivers knew full well before they threatened and terrified the driver and her passenger that there would be no consequences at all. 

They and the Phuket Tuk Tuk Mafia do seriously need to have the army take control and bring some law to the streets as to public transport.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

The police took both parties to the police station for talks.

What the hell 20 thugs illegally detain a woman, <deleted> should be jailed.

Lawless Thailand a country were taxi thugs terrorise other drivers and the useless police do nothing.

There is no money for the police in that case Colin, they won't get off their lazy asses unless there is money to collect.

9 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Agreed.however these or similar situations erupt and get out of hand before the cops arrive.

Furthermore, you are dealing with a mentality that isn't easily intimidated by the law,enforcement,punishment or being jailed.Unfortunately in some societies, losing face or honor is worth going to jail for.

Sad day for Thailand!

Where's the love-it-or-leave-it/respect-the-culture boys' choir when stuff like this happens, eh?  Nary a whisper from those high horses.  The "basher" bashers in hiding like little girls...

What a totally empty apology from these taxi thugs.  Does anyone think anything will change?  Anybody?  Anything at all?

AVOID these overgrown punks for the scourge they are!  Let them sit in their lawnchairs all day & all night.  Need a ride back to BKK?  Catch a BKK taxi looking for a return fare - easy, just avoid anything yellow & blue - you'll score a bargain.

Edited by hawker9000

11 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

However both sides reached a couple promise and no charge was made against either ?part by the police.

the coppers jumped into the toilet with the 20 terds   .... lordy , lordy  no wonder the Thais worry about losing face . they have no shame nor even know what the word means .

Terrorism is terror inflicted on the innocent, I think 20 taxi drivers threatening and intimidating a girl and her boss as they drive around town would qualify. This could happen to any farang.

...hmmm seem the hiso Mercedes driving women are arming themselves... taxi drivers cover what you lack, they take classes on how to shoot low...

Awaiting the next headline...HISO Mercedes lady shoots Taxi drivers pecker off, claims self-defense....

On 5/7/2017 at 6:44 PM, colinneil said:

Lawless Thailand a country were taxi thugs terrorise other drivers and the useless police do nothing.

And blocked traffic for quite a while.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:55 AM, webfact said:

However both sides reached a couple promise and no charge was made against either part by the police

"a couple  promise..." I suspect = "compromise"? No subeditors left in the world? A gang of men feel they have the right to become a vigilante group and muscle up against two women,  scare the hell out of them and hold them prisoners for an hour or so - while also disrupting traffic on a public roadway. Yet the bozo brigade does not suffer some penalty for their thuggish behaviour.  Who's in control of Pattaya's public thoroughfares, the bozos in taxis or the bozos in police vehicles?

I do not know if Pattaya hacks are the same but I have been frequently  denied service by drivers in Bangkok who did not want to go where I needed to, which is against the law, or who tried to get the fare for a "fixed price", i.e. no meter, which is also against the law.
I have driven a hack myself, in Connecticut and New York. The drivers here have only themselves to blame for the popularity of Uber, etc. Many regular taxi drivers are just great, and earn a tip. Too many jerks spoil the image of the whole group, though.

2 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I do not know if Pattaya hacks are the same but I have been frequently  denied service by drivers in Bangkok who did not want to go where I needed to, which is against the law, or who tried to get the fare for a "fixed price", i.e. no meter, which is also against the law.
I have driven a hack myself, in Connecticut and New York. The drivers here have only themselves to blame for the popularity of Uber, etc. Many regular taxi drivers are just great, and earn a tip. Too many jerks spoil the image of the whole group, though.

Not the same.

The fake taxi meters here will generally accept any ride request. The trouble is they will NEVER use the meters and the rate will be perhaps TEN TIMES the fare for the same distance in a Bangkok taxi meter. Nobody expects Pattaya fares to ever be at parity with Bangkok, but that is literally highway robbery. 

On 5/8/2017 at 5:44 AM, colinneil said:

Thai cops have a very different idea of their jobs than we do

Pattaya taxis with a meter sign on top is a scam . I tell them every time I laugh at them when I walk by .  Why do you have a meter sign on your roof ?  No response.   

Next time I will show then my Uber app , just to see if I get any response.....

Pattaya taxis with a meter sign on top is a scam . I tell them every time I laugh at them when I walk by .  Why do you have a meter sign on your roof ?  No response.   

You're asking for it then but good on you.

24 minutes ago, balo said:

I would do that only with some friends along for  "moral support".  Otherwise you might get the same "good fellas" treatment the thugs almost meted out to the original subject of the story...  And otherwise we'll be reading next some xenophobic fairy tale about a vicious  foreigner provoking a fight with chivalrous, gentle, hard-working, honest-as-the-day-is-long Pattaya taxi drivers.

Edited by hawker9000

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're asking for it then but good on you.

Just another adventure I guess,

I will make sure to do it in front of the police station . And  record everything with my spy glasses. 

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not the same.

The fake taxi meters here will generally accept any ride request. The trouble is they will NEVER use the meters and the rate will be perhaps TEN TIMES the fare for the same distance in a Bangkok taxi meter. Nobody expects Pattaya fares to ever be at parity with Bangkok, but that is literally highway robbery. 

Are you saying that the Pattaya set up is much different from Bangkok? I have not had much occasion to use a Pattaya taxi.
I think that improper, if not outright illegal, practices in Pattaya still account for the rising popularity of Uber, etc., wouldn't you think?

• 3 weeks later...