Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The next condo sold to a foreigner. If a foreigner wanted to buy a thai unit, the first thing you would do is ask the condo office if any of the allocation is available. 

So it is not unit specific for certain people (in other words racist)?

I am curious because I have looked at new projects and they always seem to show me places that have issues.  Near elevators, near trash area, facing bars, facing construction.  When I know for a fact their are better units available.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I am curious because I have looked at new projects and they always seem to show me places that have issues.  Near elevators, near trash area, facing bars, facing construction.  When I know for a fact their are better units available.

Agents will always try and move the rubbish first. You should have seen some of the houses I was shown when I was looking. Wouldn't keep a dog in some of them.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe, I have never come across it. A brand new development and you usually have the pick of the whole block. Later when they start to do resales etc, or the 49% quota is getting full, maybe different. They want to sell condos so it wouldn't be a great business model only selling certain condos to only half the buyers.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The next condo sold to a foreigner. If a foreigner wanted to buy a thai unit, the first thing you would do is ask the condo office if any of the allocation is available. 

Usually it works this way but not always.  Years ago we owned a condo in Thai name and the developer called us and told us some foreign quota had become available and did we want to switch our condo to foreign ownership.  We did but had to pay a fee to the developer to get the foreign quota.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe, I have never come across it. A brand new development and you usually have the pick of the whole block. Later when they start to do resales etc, or the 49% quota is getting full, maybe different. They want to sell condos so it wouldn't be a great business model only selling certain condos to only half the buyers.

Agree.  If you are looking at projects already built you have to remember that the condos have been selling since pre-construction.  The best units usually go first and, also, sometimes, the cheapest units--some people want to get into a great building at the cheapest price.  You can try to be very specific with the sales staff as to what you want but if they can't show you anything it's likely those units have sold--you might try for re-sales then.

The OP must be under some stress to post such a heart-rendering post.  I do not think condo prices, unlike house prices will come down, not crashing anyway, but mostly will never sell, just stuck there forever, not moving.   To take a hit , a large hit financially is hard, very hard, and I've found the majority of people affected just walk away, but problem then is blight, nobody pays maintenance, place turns into a slum over a couple of years , happened all throughout Spain

Gets that bad that suicidal thought emerge, not to feel like that,thesePIG in a POKE places are not worth it, just walk away

I too own a place in foreign land, doubled my money by getting shut through POA, but buyer cannot sell it as I do not give permission, and its gone up 8 fold over 7 or eight years, again its hard to drop the price after its been that high

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I guessed the sales agents all had a good look at u and decided that those particular units would fit with u the best.

8 hours ago, teddog said:

The OP must be under some stress to post such a heart-rendering post.  I do not think condo prices, unlike house prices will come down, not crashing anyway, but mostly will never sell, just stuck there forever, not moving.   To take a hit , a large hit financially is hard, very hard, and I've found the majority of people affected just walk away, but problem then is blight, nobody pays maintenance, place turns into a slum over a couple of years , happened all throughout Spain

Gets that bad that suicidal thought emerge, not to feel like that,thesePIG in a POKE places are not worth it, just walk away

I too own a place in foreign land, doubled my money by getting shut through POA, but buyer cannot sell it as I do not give permission, and its gone up 8 fold over 7 or eight years, again its hard to drop the price after its been that high

this is how I see it also thereby giving the real estate bulls the opportunity to come on this forum for a long time to come and claim what downturn in the market?:giggle:

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well i think a lot of the existing off plan buyers would like to get out asap.Its probably going to be a courtcase between the developer, condo buyers and the banks.Could take a decade or sooner if a strong developer steps in.Back then waterfront had very pricy units studios 3-4 million.

Actually the studios were 6MB and up when the sales office was still up and running.

More off topic posts and flames removed, topic is not about Waterfront or concrete columns in Central.

Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

Just a piece of advice to all, never buy or rent condos by a thai developer that starts with the letter L. THough they are huge and have projects all over bangkok and also in Pattaya and Jomtien, Hua Hin, Cha Am and Udon Thani, these are basically Thai Slums! Yes, their projects are cheap and affordable but the their property management entity has only staff that do not speak a word of English and are rude to foreigners and this goes for the senior management  fo the company. I bought so many units under this developer in various projects in Bangkok and Jomtien as investments......the sad part is only low class filthy thais or foreigners stay in these projects and the value of these projects never appreciates, only depreciates.

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well today they certainly worth less?.They were pricey because walking distance to WS.What u know about Unixx?

Your question shouldn't be what do I know about Unixx.  I assume you ask because you might be thinking of buying, to live in or as an investment,  or perhaps to rent there.  In any case, you should be asking, what do I, Destiny1990, know about Unixx.  And, to answer, you need to actually go there yourself and get your own impressions.  Look at the project carefully--lobby, elevators, pools, gyms,  saunas, sky park, grounds, garage, hallways, laundry room, water machines, Juristic office, staff, Security, condo maintenance fee, and so on. You need to look at the room types that you might be interested in buying or renting and look at all exposures. How is the room plan? How big a sofa can I fit in? Room for a king bed?  Some place for a washing machine?  Space for a dining table and at least 2 chairs?  Where are the cable outlets?  Any weird wall jogs for the load-bearing walls?  How are the bathrooms?  Shower roomy enough? Any bathtub?  How's the balcony? Is there a balcony? How's the view?  What direction does the room face?  Open or blocked view?  How many condos on each floor?  How far to the elevator and trash room?  Is there a café on site?  Mini-mart on site or nearby?  How's public transportation--close by or far away?  When I walk out and go through the front gate of the condo what do I see?  What's nearby within short walking distance?  Longer walk?  All these things and more should be checked--and checked with your needs in mind.  Even if I am buying a condo just to rent out, I never buy anything that I wouldn't live in myself.  I HAVE to have seaview and a balcony  so I have never bought a condo in Pattaya that did not have seaview and a useable balcony.  But, that's just me.  It's important to take your time and do your homework.  Example:  My partner and I were interested in Baan Plai Haad Condo in Naklua.  We visited at least 6 times or more and looked at different condos and prices. We studied the area carefully--its good and bad points.  We finally decided we  liked a 2 story duplex condo with 2 bedrooms/2 baths that was on sale for 7.7MB.  It was very high floor, seaview, big balcony, and offered some uniqueness as there were only around 10 units like it in the building--always nice to have something special right from the start. 1 of 10 similar condos rather than 1 of 1000 similar.  Came unfurnished, which we like, and we thought we could make it beautiful, live in it, and maybe sell it at some point for around 10MB.  Offer maybe 7.3 or 7.4  to the sales staff and see if they saluted.  Anyway, that was the plan but we didn't have any money to buy so we had to hope we would sell something before someone else came along and snatched up the condo.  Unfortunately, by the time we sold a condo someone else had already bought the Baan Plai Haad one.  Timing is everything. 

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

Your question shouldn't be what do I know about Unixx.  I assume you ask because you might be thinking of buying, to live in or as an investment,  or perhaps to rent there.  In any case, you should be asking, what do I, Destiny1990, know about Unixx.  And, to answer, you need to actually go there yourself and get your own impressions.  Look at the project carefully--lobby, elevators, pools, gyms,  saunas, sky park, grounds, garage, hallways, laundry room, water machines, Juristic office, staff, Security, condo maintenance fee, and so on. You need to look at the room types that you might be interested in buying or renting and look at all exposures. How is the room plan? How big a sofa can I fit in? Room for a king bed?  Some place for a washing machine?  Space for a dining table and at least 2 chairs?  Where are the cable outlets?  Any weird wall jogs for the load-bearing walls?  How are the bathrooms?  Shower roomy enough? Any bathtub?  How's the balcony? Is there a balcony? How's the view?  What direction does the room face?  Open or blocked view?  How many condos on each floor?  How far to the elevator and trash room?  Is there a café on site?  Mini-mart on site or nearby?  How's public transportation--close by or far away?  When I walk out and go through the front gate of the condo what do I see?  What's nearby within short walking distance?  Longer walk?  All these things and more should be checked--and checked with your needs in mind.  Even if I am buying a condo just to rent out, I never buy anything that I wouldn't live in myself.  I HAVE to have seaview and a balcony  so I have never bought a condo in Pattaya that did not have seaview and a useable balcony.  But, that's just me.  It's important to take your time and do your homework.  Example:  My partner and I were interested in Baan Plai Haad Condo in Naklua.  We visited at least 6 times or more and looked at different condos and prices. We studied the area carefully--its good and bad points.  We finally decided we  liked a 2 story duplex condo with 2 bedrooms/2 baths that was on sale for 7.7MB.  It was very high floor, seaview, big balcony, and offered some uniqueness as there were only around 10 units like it in the building--always nice to have something special right from the start. 1 of 10 similar condos rather than 1 of 1000 similar.  Came unfurnished, which we like, and we thought we could make it beautiful, live in it, and maybe sell it at some point for around 10MB.  Offer maybe 7.3 or 7.4  to the sales staff and see if they saluted.  Anyway, that was the plan but we didn't have any money to buy so we had to hope we would sell something before someone else came along and snatched up the condo.  Unfortunately, by the time we sold a condo someone else had already bought the Baan Plai Haad one.  Timing is everything. 

Agree with most of your comments. However personally i am not a fan of these duplex units in asia because they always heat up much more but yes they do offer nicer views maybe its not so bad u missed that opportunity in Baan Plai Haad .About Unixx i only looked at it from the outside and already decided its not for me because all units there  have very small windows and a lack of or at least very tiny balconies and the color from that building is to dark and to industrial looking for my taste then i even expect high sale prices due to raimonland involvement so i never went inside because of the poor design already from the outside.Just mine personal observations and wanted to hear yours also if u buy a unit there than 100-1000 units will be the exact same thing so it is more something of Unixx then of uniqueness.

23 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Just a piece of advice to all, never buy or rent condos by a thai developer that starts with the letter L. THough they are huge and have projects all over bangkok and also in Pattaya and Jomtien, Hua Hin, Cha Am and Udon Thani, these are basically Thai Slums! Yes, their projects are cheap and affordable but the their property management entity has only staff that do not speak a word of English and are rude to foreigners and this goes for the senior management  fo the company. I bought so many units under this developer in various projects in Bangkok and Jomtien as investments......the sad part is only low class filthy thais or foreigners stay in these projects and the value of these projects never appreciates, only depreciates.

Not my experience.  I lived at Park Beach for several years and it was a good experience.  The complex is big but many of the units are owned by rich Bangkok folk--who rarely came.  When they did visit they came as families and were mostly well-behaved.  Often saw several generations with grandparents, parents, and kids.  Park Beach has condos that go for up to around 12MB so I don't think it's really low class.  And, certainly nothing can be considered low class if I am in residence.  HA HA.   The project was always well-managed and I have been back a number of times and it still looks good.  Yes, there are some foreign renters but you are going to have them in any big, nice complex.  Being at the south end of Jomtien Beach and fairly far from Pattaya, I think it attracted more foreign couples and families rather than party types.  I owned 2 condos at Park Beach and 1 at Seaview, the complex behind Park Beach.  Sold all 3 at a profit.  The Seaview condo was rented to a nice Thai lady pharmacist--not exactly filthy low-class.  Across the hall at our Seaview condo was a condo owned by a  very nice Thai lady professor from Bangkok--she used the condo as a getaway place.  My partner and I would probably still be living at Park Beach except we decided we wanted to live in city center Pattaya.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Nice story but ever heard of paragraphs?!

9 hours ago, Canceraid said:

what's the second letter?

Thailand condo real estate cycle:

1. Build condo complex with up to 49% foreign ownership, sell with minimal fees upfront.

2. Many don't pay their maintenance fees so building deteriorates until its more economical to rebuild. They secretly know they make money quicker if they don't.

3. Foreign owners have no land title so they are dismissed.

4. The remaining Thai owners have up to a 49% increase in their stake.

5. Go to 1.

Everything in Thailand is better for short-time. Live for now is the theme that permeates everything here. Ever see the monks and their sand paintings? 

All countries have their own property scams to take advantage of foreign investors.

12 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

1. Build condo complex with up to 49% foreign ownership, sell with minimal fees upfront.

2. Many don't pay their maintenance fees so building deteriorates until its more economical to rebuild. They secretly know they make money quicker if they don't.

5. Go to 1.

Everything in Thailand is better for short-time. Live for now is the theme that permeates everything here. Ever see the monks and their sand paintings? 

All countries have their own property scams to take advantage of foreign investors.

So name me 3 condominium buildings that have been flattened and rebuild?You do not maak much sense yes there are scams but this is not one of them.

1 minute ago, pegman said:

getting worse for these kinds of developments? I saw on FaceBook today a studio in Laguna 2 going for ฿6,500. That's seems awfully cheap

Not really , 6500 for a studio is on the upper end of what the locals would pay.  A foreigner could end up paying 10000 for the same unit .  I have seen it happened many times. 

4 hours ago, Bikeman93 said:

5. Go to 1.

Yes, I agree with Destiny1990.  Let's have some specifics.  You and Teddog could get together and work on that list of Pattaya condos that will be knocked down after 5 years for poor construction, no maintenance, etc.  

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not really , 6500 for a studio is on the upper end of what the locals would pay.  A foreigner could end up paying 10000 for the same unit .  I have seen it happened many times. 

It was on an English Expat property site. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Yes, I agree with Destiny1990.  Let's have some specifics.  You and Teddog could get together and work on that list of Pattaya condos that will be knocked down after 5 years for poor construction, no maintenance, etc.  

Our renter-trolls, most of whom can't afford a condo anyway, are really workin' overtime in this thread, piling on the nonsense.

Edited by JSixpack

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I noticed last night The Base on Second Rd is renting from 18,000 a month. 

I don't know if that is because they can't sell, or if it's on behalf of investors.

Seems a reasonable price considering the location.

It is actually high.  I live at The Base, but rent from a private owner.

That price you see on the street advertised is from the builder, Sansiri.

If you go online and search rentals here, you can get a one bedroom for less from a private owner. Maybe less more with low season.

I love the place new construction only just over a year, great modern wiring wifi and TV are great, security is good, I have a higher unit with an ocean view. I just signed for another year.  Some people bad mouth it saying it is too expensive.  Whatever, I have lived all over the world this place is pretty darn nice for the price in my opinion. 

PS: the one bedroom is not large mine is 30 sq mtrs.  But, it is more then enough for me living alone.  Nice living area I have a 50" TV no problem.  Everything is separated pretty efficiently.

Edited by bkk6060

Note: 90% of Thai landlords will keep all or 80% of your one month deposit when you leave- does not matter that you left the rented condo more clean or in better shape than before you moved in. So do not pay for last month's stay. Sorry. but this rip- off scheme has happened to me three out of four land lords. I am use to Western tenants that would be happy if you left the apartment like new... but this is Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect