Time spent outside U.K.

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

Are you sure? The UK Data Protection Act forbids the sharing of such info UNLESS there is criminal activity involved.

If data protection is that good, How do private companies get your  address from your car number. ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

absolute joke i paid in for 50 years and am still a tax payer on my uk pensions , its ok for them to still tax me i suppose, as said some have paid in jack shit and get free ttreatment

The title of this thread is not what the OP is saying. He is not saying he is being refused NHS treatment. He is being refused weekly benefit payments based on his illness. He needs to clarify which it is.

Edited by SunsetT

From my experience entering the UK very recently, the guy who looked at my passport gave it a very cursory glance and waved my through. I didn't try for any medical assistance, so am not sure what would have happened. I arrived in a wheelchair so didn't go through the normal immigration channel, but my passport was not scanned. So, how would they know?

Or is it luck of the draw? 

2 hours ago, yardrunner said:

i still pay UK taxes on my pension and property rental and would not get treatment if i went back and that is unfair, about time this was challenged in court

It has been, and in the EU court of Human Rights. It was defeated in both.

30 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

The title of this thread is not what the OP is saying. He is not saying he is being refused NHS treatment. He is being refused weekly benefit payments based on his illness. He needs to clarify which it is.

When the benefits claims are submitted, checks are done to establish entitlement (which is not automatic) many benefits are means tested now and the checks would show continuity lapses in the applicant's history and result in the application being refused. It's up to the applicant to provide proof of eligibility and not for the government department to follow up on discrepancies. If you fill the paperwork in wrong or omit details, they will refuse and not contact you for clarification.

Years ago I applied on behalf of my elderly mother for benefits she was entitled to and was refused on a clerical error the first time, we reapplied several times with more detailed explanation of circumstances. It took us several applications and nearly three years to get her application approved, which was back paid to the start of her entitlement.

My mother had lived in the UK all of her life, had always paid tax and national insurance. 

Indeed. There's a big difference about returning expats being denied benefits, and being denied free healthcare. If they can show that they have permanently returned to the UK they are entitled to NHS services, irrespective of how long they lived abroad for.
18 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Try Boarder Agency.. Quite rightly he was refused,  just becasue you have paid some tax for services already rendered why expect to get the service again for free.  Try it with your house insurance and see where you get.

I have paid taxes all my life and still do from my British pension. Am i not allowed the same access as other Britons or refugees? many who don't pay taxes.

I may be wrong, and happy to be corrected, but the issue is "resident" and if you dont have a home in the UK then you are not "resident" so what taxes you have paid/paying or not isnt relevant. Everyone gets emergency treatment regardless. 

I did read elsewhere that if you are returning to the UK and intend to stay there, there wouldnt be an issue.

When you leave to UK you fill in departure card. The government departments work together. It is held on file. When you arrive back in Uk imgration zap your passport and your arrival is noted   And recorded. Most western countrys do this. You can't kid them any more.  They know the tricks.

50 minutes ago, shaurene said:

When you leave to UK you fill in departure card. The government departments work together. It is held on file. When you arrive back in Uk imgration zap your passport and your arrival is noted   And recorded. Most western countrys do this. You can't kid them any more.  They know the tricks.

Departure Card ???

2 hours ago, Bantex said:

When the benefits claims are submitted, checks are done to establish entitlement (which is not automatic) many benefits are means tested now and the checks would show continuity lapses in the applicant's history and result in the application being refused. It's up to the applicant to provide proof of eligibility and not for the government department to follow up on discrepancies. If you fill the paperwork in wrong or omit details, they will refuse and not contact you for clarification.

Years ago I applied on behalf of my elderly mother for benefits she was entitled to and was refused on a clerical error the first time, we reapplied several times with more detailed explanation of circumstances. It took us several applications and nearly three years to get her application approved, which was back paid to the start of her entitlement.

My mother had lived in the UK all of her life, had always paid tax and national insurance. 

Yes, they make it as difficult as possible for people to claim, and the current Far Right Tories are making it increasingly difficult.

That's nonsense. There is no departure card when leaving the UK.
22 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Try Boarder Agency.. Quite rightly he was refused,  just becasue you have paid some tax for services already rendered why expect to get the service again for free.  Try it with your house insurance and see where you get.

He is still a British Citizen and has rights. Just because he has been out of the country does not deny him his rights. He probably paid taxes for years, and being abroad he obviously hasn't been milking the system unlike a lot of the VERMIN that are being given a free pass to every quick buck and freebie there is to offer, that are being shat all over the UK like mouse crap.

8 hours ago, Formaleins said:

He is still a British Citizen and has rights. Just because he has been out of the country does not deny him his rights. He probably paid taxes for years, and being abroad he obviously hasn't been milking the system unlike a lot of the VERMIN that are being given a free pass to every quick buck and freebie there is to offer, that are being shat all over the UK like mouse crap.

However he is subject to the law

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

My cousin not only a British citizen a former Royal Marine

10 hours ago, humqdpf said:

I pay tax in the UK. Does that not entitle me to A&E at the very least?

I used to go to England and visit my mother every year. I did get sick a few times when I was there and I went straight to the emergency whatever you call it , A&E? and got very good treatment. I was hospitalised at Charing Cross hospital for a few days and I was Not charged anything

Edited by gamini
17 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

There are many people/families who have never paid a penny in taxes ever!

Because they are resident why should they be entitled when a tax paying expat is refused?

Because they are UK residents and citizens and a  UK Expat is not.

It isn't about what you perceive as right.....

A person being refused a plaster cast on his broken leg purely because he went straight from school to job-seekers would not be a great political news item.

Another clue, Expats rarely vote.

I used to go to England and visit my mother every year. I did get sick a few times when I was there and I went straight to the emergency whatever you call it , A&E? and got very good treatment. I was hospitalised at Charing Cross hospital for a few days and I was Not charged anything

You might find that more difficult now as hospitals are supposed to check passports to make sure the patient is a UK resident. Whether they do this or not is another thing altogether.
1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You might find that more difficult now as hospitals are supposed to check passports to make sure the patient is a UK resident. Whether they do this or not is another thing altogether.

Not everyone has a Passport ?

Edited by jamie2009
14 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Departure Card ???

no such thing in the UK and passports are not checked when you leave the UK only checked on entry so no way does UK immigration know if you're out of the country - hence controversy on illegal immigrants for starters.

Are you suggesting Thailand immigration share their info with UK immigration?

I don't think so!

15 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

no such thing in the UK and passports are not checked when you leave the UK only checked on entry so no way does UK immigration know if you're out of the country - hence controversy on illegal immigrants for starters.

Are you suggesting Thailand immigration share their info with UK immigration?

I don't think so!

"Since 2004 the UK has moved to a more sophisticated approach to checks by starting to collect Advance Passenger Information (API) for both inbound and outbound air passengers. API includes the passenger’s full name, nationality, date of birth, gender and travel document number, type and country of issue."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exit-checks-on-passengers-leaving-the-uk/exit-checks-fact-sheet

"The majority of airlines already provide the Home Office with Advance Passenger Information (API). This is given to airlines by customers when booking their flights. For these passengers, nothing will change and they will not notice the new system in action."

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's nonsense. There is no departure card when leaving the UK.

And passports are NOT checked when you leave the UK - only on entry. There is no way any government department knows via databases that you are out of the UK. There might be a link to airline's databases but I doubt it and certainly no link with the Thai systems or their authorities.

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"Since 2004 the UK has moved to a more sophisticated approach to checks by starting to collect Advance Passenger Information (API) for both inbound and outbound air passengers. API includes the passenger’s full name, nationality, date of birth, gender and travel document number, type and country of issue."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exit-checks-on-passengers-leaving-the-uk/exit-checks-fact-sheet

an important part of this publication that amplifies why this process takes place, where the data goes and how it is protected:

"The passenger details contained in your travel document will be transmitted to the Home Office. This information will then be processed by our systems to improve migration controls and security.

All data will be processed in line with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Human Rights Act 1998 and the common law duty of confidentiality."

3 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

an important part of this publication that amplifies why this process takes place, where the data goes and how it is protected:

"The passenger details contained in your travel document will be transmitted to the Home Office. This information will then be processed by our systems to improve migration controls and security.

All data will be processed in line with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Human Rights Act 1998 and the common law duty of confidentiality."

Whats your point ?

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Whats your point ?

My point is - as I noted be4 - data is sent to the Home Office and can not be shared with other government departments under the Data Protection Act - and it is collected only as a means of controlling, or attempting to control, people over-staying on their UK visas and keeping track of known terrorists or people of that ilk. It isn't being used to check on British Citizens who don't need visas or are security threats!

18 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

And passports are NOT checked when you leave the UK - only on entry. There is no way any government department knows via databases that you are out of the UK. There might be a link to airline's databases but I doubt it and certainly no link with the Thai systems or their authorities.

Why is it important to your believe as said what's the point of it. :ermm: