Facebook faces imminent shutdown in Thailand: Report

webfact

4 minutes ago, pentap said:

Inconvenient for most but for me personally, I'm not bothered.

Many more social media sites so why worry about it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Because to be able to talk to your friends you have to use the same site. It is not a good idea to be on Weibo (whatever it's called) if all of your friends use FB

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Blueboy88 said:

Well the foreign media is now full of it, including the unpleasant photos and videos. If they were trying to hush things up it couldn't be going any worse. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. 

It's called the Streisand Effect.

UPDATE:

Thailand has no immediate plan to suspend Facebook, regulator says

By Aukkarapon Niyomyat and Patpicha Tanakasempipat

REUTERS

r8.jpg

FILE PHOTO: The Facebook logo is displayed on the company's website in an illustration photo taken in Bordeaux, France on February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has no immediate plan to block access to Facebook, the telecoms regulator said on Tuesday, as it expects the social media giant to comply with court orders for the removal of content deemed to threaten national security.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/983377-thailand-has-no-immediate-plan-to-suspend facebook-regulator-says/

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

Thailand has no immediate plan to suspend Facebook, regulator says

By Aukkarapon Niyomyat and Patpicha Tanakasempipat

REUTERS

r8.jpg

FILE PHOTO: The Facebook logo is displayed on the company's website in an illustration photo taken in Bordeaux, France on February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has no immediate plan to block access to Facebook, the telecoms regulator said on Tuesday, as it expects the social media giant to comply with court orders for the removal of content deemed to threaten national security.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/983377-thailand-has-no-immediate-plan-to-suspend facebook-regulator-says/

USA, UK has no prbs with FB, why LOS.....?

That would be the best thing ever that could happen to Thai !...The roads would be much safer...the work more productive...and above all, it would force them to build up brain capacity and communication skills ...

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I think the government wants access blocked to 100 pages, or about 0.001% of FB's content. It seems a bit heavy handed to threaten to penalise 99.999% of fair dinkum Thai users because the government can't control 0.0001% of the content.

The government is also pushing ahead with a single internet gateway to Thailand and has already twice successfully tested its ability to shut down FB.

Is it 0.001% or 0.0001%? Where are you getting the 99.999% ? You got a crack somewhere where you picking these crazy numbers from? 

rest well Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro Thailand has learnt off you how to control the media Control the media and you control the people  Next thing we will be listening to Martial Music everywhere

I can't hardly wait till Thailand shuts down Facebook.

It will be the best thing happening to one of my companies in years...

Currently Thai are using facebook to do business because it's free. 

Thai websites went down in the last 5 years with 45%. Everywhere in the world there's a grow in websites / e-commerce sites, except in Thailand. Also the registered domain names: .co.th, .in.th were down over 40%. Thais don't want to pay 700 THB/year for a domain name. Also the international registration on domains registered in Thailand went down... With other words, Thai economy is a fake !!!

So who cares if facebook was shut down in Thailand ???
Not me !!!

There's still VPN, but the majority is too stupid to install or use this...

Sticky wicket! Of course it would take someone wanting to push the challenge under international law (UN agreements) and Thai rights as to Freedom of access to information. Me? Na, retired, I have fought my small life's battles. The most I would do is contact my diplomatic representation to protest not being able to access my friends information from 5 continents. Course the governing powers here might well look at China as a great example for control of information (yes, of course, for the public good).

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Funny how people say Thai people. Have you been to other countries lately? It is the same everywhere. 

Annnnnd there's the post apologist.

Thailand has the highest Facebook usage in the world, why wouldn't he say Thai people, it's a much bigger part of their lives than other countries. 

7 minutes ago, FredNL said:

I can't hardly wait till Thailand shuts down Facebook.

It will be the best thing happening to one of my companies in years...

Currently Thai are using facebook to do business because it's free. 

Thai websites went down in the last 5 years with 45%. Everywhere in the world there's a grow in websites / e-commerce sites, except in Thailand. Also the registered domain names: .co.th, .in.th were down over 40%. Thais don't want to pay 700 THB/year for a domain name. Also the international registration on domains registered in Thailand went down... With other words, Thai economy is a fake !!!

So who cares if facebook was shut down in Thailand ???
Not me !!!

There's still VPN, but the majority is too stupid to install or use this...

They're not too stupid, they have just never had the need to do so.  I've been using TOR for many years, but implying that I was smart to do this, is actually stupid.

28 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

rest well Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro Thailand has learnt off you how to control the media Control the media and you control the people  Next thing we will be listening to Martial Music everywhere

if you have  ever stayed in a small village in Issan you will notice in the morning when you wake up the broadcast from the network of loudspeakers everywhere announcing news and other information. I don't know about anyone else but I've always found that to be quite Orwellian and a bit spooky!

9 minutes ago, oceanyachting said:

stayed may times in a small village in Isaan and never heard that

you were probably sleeping

it is hard to avoid hearing soothing Thai music blaring over someone’s music amplifiers by 7 to 8 AM in the morning. If you are in a small town or village you will hear local announcements over public loudspeakers

http://vicaworld.com/life-in-the-country/

5 hours ago, petedk said:

They don't want a revolution on their hands.

What on earth would Thai people do without Facebook?

Talk together???

Nearly all have LINE. They can do anything there that can be do on FB only everybody else cannot see.Not such a bad thing i say.

And they could see what was going on on FB and monitor but they cannot monitor everyone LINE.

But what when the same things being shared/done on all other SM?

They will soon realise the only way they can stop all this 100% is just close the internet alltogether

Time for Thailand to get real and block the VPN's same as Russia is proposing or China has done- job done.

http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-vpn-ban-government-plans-pass-law-ban-vpns-dont-block-illegal-content-2528244

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-vpn-ban-government-requires-official-approval-use-2480679

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Just a quick note, most of us live in Thailand and this is a thai forum so i don't see why people can't post anything on here without the 'it happens everywhere brigade' coming out. Do you people just copy and paste the same line... 

5 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Nearly all have LINE. They can do anything there that can be do on FB only everybody else cannot see.Not such a bad thing i say.

And they could see what was going on on FB and monitor but they cannot monitor everyone LINE.

But what when the same things being shared/done on all other SM?

They will soon realise the only way they can stop all this 100% is just close the internet alltogether

They tried their luck with LINE, apparently LINE declined.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/line-says-it-refuses-thai-juntas-request-monitor-chats-lese-majeste/

Edited by lkv