Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe - source

webfact

Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe - source

By Mark Hosenball

r1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A combination photo shows U.S. President Donald Trump (L) in the House of Representatives in Washington, U.S., on February 28, 2017 and FBI Director James Comey in Washington U.S. on July 7, 2016. REUTERS/Jim Lo Scalzo/Pool, Gary Cameron/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump asked then-FBI Director James Comey to shut down an investigation into ties between former White House national security adviser Michael Flynn and Russia, an associate of Comey, who has seen the memo, said on Tuesday.

The associate told Reuters that the details of the document as first reported by the New York Times were accurate.

“I hope you can let this go,” Trump told Comey, according to the language of the memo, which the source confirmed.

The White House denied the report in a statement to reporters, saying it was "not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the President and Mr. Comey."

The memo was written by Comey immediately after his meeting in the White House Oval Office with Trump one day after Flynn resigned over his contacts with Russians.

Flynn's resignation came hours after it was reported that the Justice Department had warned the White House weeks earlier that Flynn could be vulnerable to blackmail for contacts with Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak before Trump took power on Jan. 20.

A spokeswoman for the FBI declined to comment on the details of the memo.

(Reporting by Mark Hosenball, writing by Julia Edwards Ainsley)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-17

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the picture. Investigation into Flynn which Donald tries to stop. Comey continues and then asks for more resources.

Trump worries Comey is on to something and sacks him.I wonder how long it is going to take before the Russian trail, leads all the way back to Donalds front door?

Trump doesn't know some of the basic tenets of his office.  He's finding out about things on the job.  I would say, "he's learning on the job" but it's doubtful he's learning much.  Should we pat his colored head and excuse his many screw-ups, and say, "It's ok old man. You weren't expected to know that."  ....as you might say when walking by a tramp who just opened a bottle of Trump Vodka on a public sidewalk ('open container' law), and was ready to chug it down like soda pop.  

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I see the picture. Investigation into Flynn which Donald tries to stop. Comey continues and then asks for more resources.

Trump worries Comey is on to something and sacks him.I wonder how long it is going to take before the Russian trail, leads all the way back to Donalds front door?

It's been leading back to Trump's front door, and his mafia/ogligarch buddies, and secret bank accounts, ........and also Kushner's and Ivanka's front door also. ....for months.  Some people are connecting the dots.  Not sure whether the FBI is doing much.  It's certainly been very slow.   It's too cowed by the president's firing power, and it's been led by a partisan Republican, until recently.   The replacement head is guaranteed to be worse. 

Pence has been in charge of vetting people who get to stand around in the Oval Office, lauding Trump on everything he says and does.   Yet Pence claims he didn't know diddly squat about Flynn's multiple law-breaking acts.  Same about Sessions.  Same for Kushner.   Yet, journalists and others, like myself, who follow the news, have known about those criminals' crimes for many moons.   How is it people like myself, who follow the news, KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE MEN THAN PENCE ADMITS TO KNOWING?

Either Pence has been continually lying, or he is a massively unaware man.  I think it's mostly the former.     Pence would be in the cross-hairs, along with all the other law-breakers around Trump, except that Republicans want him to take Trump's place, when Trump gets drop-kicked down to the sidewalk outside 1600 Penn. Ave. 

"the problem isn't that he does not know this or that, that he does not know that he does not know this or that, rather, the dangerous thing is that he does not know what it means to know something"

George Will 

May 3, 2017

in other words.... nuts.....

i.e. what the Constitution he swore to defend actually says.

... and if he wakes up to realize any of this.... at age 70 something????? ..... that is way more than just a drunken Quaker 'iron butt' president whose brothers died when he was very young..... 

.... this guy is always sober... and his whole life is....

can you imagine being the first president 'vomited out' ever? and in only a few months after being elected..... and your ego is 'stratospheric'... and you are age 70 something when all of that unfolds ????????????

Edited by maewang99

10 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's been leading back to Trump's front door, and his mafia/ogligarch buddies, and secret bank accounts, ........and also Kushner's and Ivanka's front door also. ....for months.  Some people are connecting the dots.  Not sure whether the FBI is doing much.  It's certainly been very slow.   It's too cowed by the president's firing power, and it's been led by a partisan Republican, until recently.   The replacement head is guaranteed to be worse. 

Pence has been in charge of vetting people who get to stand around in the Oval Office, lauding Trump on everything he says and does.   Yet Pence claims he didn't know diddly squat about Flynn's multiple law-breaking acts.  Same about Sessions.  Same for Kushner.   Yet, journalists and others, like myself, who follow the news, have known about those criminals' crimes for many moons.   How is it people like myself, who follow the news, KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE MEN THAN PENCE ADMITS TO KNOWING?

Either Pence has been continually lying, or he is a massively unaware man.  I think it's mostly the former.     Pence would be in the cross-hairs, along with all the other law-breakers around Trump, except that Republicans want him to take Trump's place, when Trump gets drop-kicked down to the sidewalk outside 1600 Penn. Ave. 

Pence is way too busy worrying about being in a room with a woman and alcohol if his wife is not present,. Another complete nut in a $2000 suit.

Edited by tonray

24 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Kind of feel sorry for Trump; what an idiot, bumbling his way from felony to felony, blissfully unaware.

The saddest part about the whole thing though, is that the people around him, who should be reining him in are letting him continue to do it, and even lying to try to cover most of it up.

More fake news, comes from someone reading a memo over the phone to a Washington Times reporter. Not verified at all. News reporting now days is just to weird for words. Can't believe anything I read now days. Only the stupid believe this stuff. 

12 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

More fake news, comes from someone reading a memo over the phone to a Washington Times reporter. Not verified at all. News reporting now days is just to weird for words. Can't believe anything I read now days. Only the stupid believe this stuff. 

Just like it was fake news that Trump disclosed information that had been classified as secret to the Russians.  I know what you're going to reply. That the source confirming it was unreliable. And I'd have to agree with you considering that the source was Donald Trump.

I just wonder what you'll say when Comey publicly confirms the existence of said memo.

It's delightfully ironic when Trump supporters bleat about "fake news" when much of what comes from the President himself is blatantly fake!

3 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

It's come down to either trump's a liar or comey is. Not much room for spin. GOP is still following trump with 80% support. Bet that number slips by Friday.

Once Comey testifies under oath....game over. Just a matter of time now.

23 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

It's only "fake" news for a few more hours.

Once Trump wakes up and starts tweeting about it, it becomes "real" news, evidently.

I do feel for the hard-core supporters, the shame, the horror.

1 minute ago, Rob13 said:

Pence is in the bullpen. Wonder how long he'll last.

Pence would have been a far better option for getting the Republican agenda done but now he (along with everyone else) has compromised his values by covering for the fool that he may be ineffective also.It will take 6 months minimum for transition and by that time the Dems can stall tactic until 2018. Very interesting stuff at the very least.

29 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Sorry, but the only "fake" on here is the "intelligence" of the trumpanzees. Every time the almighty Trump screws up again, you sycophants rush on here to cry "FAKE NEWS" only to have your orange messiah mess up your talking points by admitting to what he'd done a day or two later. You screamed "FAKE NEWS"  when it was reported that he'd revealed classified information to the Russians and the next day the vaunted one Tweets that he did exactly that. You really should learn to wait a couple of days with the "fake news" stupidity and give the con man the time to contradict all of the denials about his actions before making yourselves look dumber than you are. Senior political figures keep memos like this to cover their butts. And just so you know...contemporaneous memos like these things are admissible as evidence in court.

Edited by Traveler19491

30 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

You forgot to break that statement up.

"More fake news, comes from someone reading a memo over the phone to a Washington Times reporter. Not verified at all. News reporting now days is just to weird for words. Can't believe anything I read now days". 

Only the stupid believe this stuff. 

If true...not only did Trump attempt to obstruct Justice but then openly lied about it saying it never happened. It will be Trump's word against Comey's. A known liar and charlatan vs a guy just trying to serve America. Time is here... 

30 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

The papers  provide a source for their stories. If you're going to label them as lies, back it up with some evidence, or at least a link.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Not sure whether the FBI is doing much.  It's certainly been very slow.   It's too cowed by the president's firing power, and it's been led by a partisan Republican, until recently.   The replacement head is guaranteed to be worse. 

Hopefully the FBI is slow because it is being very meticulous so they can get all the facts straight to have the best and strongest case possible. The FBI probably wants to make sure no little detail goes amiss otherwise the idiot's best paid lawyers will figure a way out of this mess.

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

If true...not only did Trump attempt to obstruct Justice but then openly lied about it saying it never happened. It will be Trump's word against Comey's. A known liar and charlatan vs a guy just trying to serve America. Time is here... 

I'm sure there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for Trump to ask Pence and Sessions to leave the room first.

And of course, Trump's "word" is beyond reproach.

4 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

The papers  provide a source for their stories. If you're going to label them as lies, back it up with some evidence, or at least a link.

Oh, I thought that is was okay as long as you say "Many people say" or "Believe Me!"