Video: Who believes the driver who says he didn't know he collided with a motorbike?

webfact

Video: Who believes the driver who says he didn't know he collided with a motorbike?

6pm.jpg

PIcture: TNews

BANGKOK: -- A pick-up driver was filmed casually filling up his truck at a gas station after he was caught on CCTV colliding with a motorcycle.

The motorcyclist crashed to the ground as the pick-up turned left in front of him.

The poster of the clip on Facebook said that everyone else saw what happened but the driver of the Isuzu pick-up was oblivious to the accident. They asked people online to share the video.

The clip caused much comment online with TNews saying that many people believed it was perfectly possible that the driver didn't know what had happened.

And after all, he was hardly fleeing the scene of an accident by filling up his tank precisely where the accident took place, many said.

CCTV footage from within the gas station showed the man casually standing about without a care in the world.

TNews said it was a PTT station next to a branch of Lotus without giving any more details about how the accident was resolved or what injuries were suffered by the motorcyclist.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-18

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

16 minutes ago, claffey said:

Look again his indicator was on but difficult to see with the poor quality of the video. I hope the police look a little bit closer than you guys!

To honest the guy on the bike shouldn't be trying to go past on the inside of the pick up. The indicator was on, easy to see, did the biker not see it or ignore it.

It's not unusual to have bikes try to pass you on the inside here anywhere and doing it at any junction is amazingly stupid.

Very likely the driver had no idea as the bike seemed to touch at the wheel of the pick up so the driver may have heard or felt nothing.

The pickup was indication. 

The motorcyclist tried to undertake.

It was 100% the motorcyclists fault. 

Now, to the question. Who believes the pickup driver saying he didn't notice the bike ?

Well, he must have been sleeping not to notice, but I believe that the pickup driver didn't notice that a bike had hit him. 

That said - the pickup driver 'should' have checked his mirrors before maneuvering....  I still believe this accident is 100% the fault of the motorcyclist. 

10 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Hard to believe the truck driver didn't/couldn't notice

The more you watch this it looks more like the bike rider hit the front brake when he realised too late he wasn't going to make it past in time. If anything the only contact with the pick up was perhaps with his arm/shoulder after the bike started going down.

Watch it a few times and each time concentrate on a different part

Bike front wheel

Bikers arm/shoulder.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The pickup was indication. 

The motorcyclist tried to undertake.

It was 100% the motorcyclists fault. 

Now, to the question. Who believes the pickup driver saying he didn't notice the bike ?

Well, he must have been sleeping not to notice, but I believe that the pickup driver didn't notice that a bike had hit him. 

That said - the pickup driver 'should' have checked his mirrors before maneuvering....  I still believe this accident is 100% the fault of the motorcyclist. 

This is why in the West the cardriver has to keep left as much as possible when taking a left turn so no motobike can be there.

Also we don't know how long the car was indicating but to me it seems not very long.

Indicatorlights will get introduced in Thailand 5.0 which is next year. They first want to celebrate being the hub of roaddeaths.

Indeed hard to see but indicators seemed on.

Both at fault, motorbike more than pickup.

Pickup driver could well have spent a millisecond for a look to his left mirror.

Motorbike rider is a total fool to undertake before gasoline station anyway.

Not noticed?

Possible, as it looks like no metal on metal.

Maybe just touched the handlebar and shoulder of the driver.

AND: Somchai the pickup driver enjoyed his new 1000 W super-duper sound system :tongue:

It would appear that the bike is trying to undertake the pickup, but could also be the pickup tried to enter the gas station before the mc got there and misjudged it ?

Could have been one of those last minute decisions to enter the gas station , you know, one of those " stop there's a 7 and I'm hungry " moments !!

Without any video footage further up the road difficult to say IMO.

But as to whether he knew or not that he had hit the mc ?

Surely he couldn't be that stupid to just fill up his tank as if nothing had happened.......... but then again !

Golden rule #xx for driving in Thailand:

Before turning to any direction, do the 360° check, all mirrors.

However close to the shoulder you are, they will find a path to undertake.

Can't see how you can blame the pickup driver for this accident, his turning signal was on and he was normally driving on the correct side of the road.

The motorbike on the other hand just seems to almost crash into the back of the pickup while there was space enough to avoid it.

It even seems the motorbike did not make any sudden avoiding moves before rolling into view and just slips and falls.

Good chance the pickup driver never noticed the accident as people do not check their mirrors here and the motorbike might have just hit the tire only if it hit the truck at all.

I've nearly been involved in very similar accidents in Bangkok. 

Turning left in to a the Soi where I live....  not only did I have to position my car to prevent motorcyclists from undertaking, but I also had to stop more often than not to give way to the motorcyclists riding down the pavement. 

This never happened, because I was well aware of the carelessness of many road users, especially those motorcyclists trying to undertake and riding down the pavement. 

That said: All the pickup did was indicate and turn left. He could have avoided the accident by being more observant, but I still consider the accident 100% the motorcyclists fault for attempting to undertake. 

In the video I can see the indicator. 

To be fair though, he could have thought it was a pothole in the road.

There was a time I thought I hit a pothole in my 4x4 but my wife insisted it was a car. No damage to my truck but we went back to the scene and found a tire sized dent in my friend's yaris's hood...

1 minute ago, smccolley said:

In the video I can see the indicator. 

To be fair though, he could have thought it was a pothole in the road.

There was a time I thought I hit a pothole in my 4x4 but my wife insisted it was a car. No damage to my truck but we went back to the scene and found a tire sized dent in my friend's yaris's hood...

Were you diving a Humvee or monster-truck ?

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just a Chevy 4x4 vs a Yaris, no competition. It was pitch black and the car was black, all I felt was a bump...

Edited by smccolley

Have to disagree – the truck is in the OUTSIDE lane of the two lane road (going the same way) from what I can see, he may have his indicator or he may not when he starts to move, but at the beginning of the video (5 seconds in) he cuts across the inside lane to the turn - at which point he does have his indicator on but doesn’t matter anyway, its only indication not a right to turn. Its possible that the motorbike sped up to undertake him, however the motorbike clearly had the inside lane and the driver cut across it - they were not in the same lane. If the motorbike was undertaking a vehicle with its indicator on its not smart in Thailand but is not illegal when there are two lanes going in the same direction. Certainly the truck driver’s fault - at the end of the video you see another vehicle in the outside of the two lanes.

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Look again his indicator was on but difficult to see with the poor quality of the video. I hope the police look a little bit closer than you guys!

Too late now but I think  the whole thing could have been avoided if the pick up had let the bike go first instead of trying to overtake him and make the left turn so quickly. He must have seen him and been able to judge the bikes speed before he overtook him to turn?

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its possible. A group of girls hit my old bt50. I saw it unfold so well aware but the hit was no greater felt than that of a pot hole but destroyed the girls bike and put one girl in hospital. 

The fault here is thai society and iys stupid laws. Little slow bikes by law staying in the left. This is a prime example how it is asking for trouble.

33 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Too late now but I think  the whole thing could have been avoided if the pick up had let the bike go first instead of trying to overtake him and make the left turn so quickly. He must have seen him and been able to judge the bikes speed before he overtook him to turn?

The bike was definitely going faster than the pickup.  However, the driver didn't see the bike because he didn't look in his mirror; mirrors are only for the girls to do their makeup, and for the boys to pick their zits.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

Hard to believe the truck driver didn't/couldn't notice

Not really, the driver is on the opposite side to the bike and his rear view mirrors wouldn't show much because he was turning. Having said that, I'm acutely aware of any and all bumps and knocks in my truck when driving, but it looks as though the only contact between the two was the motorcyclists head and the wheel of the truck.

100% the fault of the pick-up driver.

Undertaking is allowed in this situation. In fact motorcyclists can be fined for travelling in the right hand lane.

I suggest that you pause the video as soon as the vehicles come into view.

The pick-up is clearly coming from the far right lane and cutting in front of the bike. It doesn't matter whether he had his indicators on or not, it doesn't make it ok to cut in front of another vehicle.

Most fuel stations have a very high sign and can be seen from a long way off. The pick up should have maneuvered into the left lane long before this.

Edited by loong
typo

3 hours ago, seajae said:

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

what your chances of them doing that u think ?

22 minutes ago, loong said:

Undertaking is allowed in this situation. In fact motorcyclists can be fined for travelling in the right hand lane.

The pick-up is clearly coming from the far right lane and cutting in front of the bike. It doesn't matter whether he had his indicators on or not, it doesn't make it ok to cut in front of another vehicle.

Most fuel stations have a very high sign and can be seen from a long way off. The pick up should have maneuvered into the left lane long before this.

Steady on now you are saying that he should know how to drive properly lol

28 minutes ago, loong said:

I agree.

The motorcyclist was not undertaking-he was in his proper lane.The pickup cuts across his path.I see this every day in my neck of the woods.

Considering that virtually every Thai cuts their teeth on a motor cycle I am shocked at the cavalier disdain shown by car drivers-and their lack of imagination-when they get behind the wheel of their own personal juggernaut.Conversely I am equally puzzled that the motor scooter riders (often car drivers themselves) display the same inability to perform an adequate risk assessment when they treat the four wheeled-any amount of wheels really- behemoths with disdain.

Edited by Odysseus123
clarity.

45 minutes ago, loong said:

Undertaking is not allowed at a junction although it's common practice here practiced by idiots.