You be the Judge (Jury and Executioner)

Judge, Jury and Executioner  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I doubt it could be argued other than being my fault, although pedestrians should never pass in front of a vehicle.

But she wasn't walking or jogging.

I just put myself in her position, she is riding along and sees a stationary vehicle ahead, she keeps going cos it ain't moving, when she gets to the motor it moves..Of course we all would have probably used caution riding a bike heading towards a motor with it's lights on but she didn't.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised nobody has voted 50-50 as yet, very much a black-and-white vote.

My fault for not looking properly, hers for ghost-riding.

Think that was my point that if she was jogging she would not have lights, just a pedestrian..

As a pedestrian I usually try to walk behind a vehicle waiting at a junction, as I was taught as a youngster.

On occasion I walk in front (lazy) and on several occasions vehicles have moved forwards and nudged me before stopping suddenly.

It's unwise to develop what-ifs but if a pedestrian she would have been moving more slowly and thus been in my field of view longer, hopefully long enough to have been seen, but of course she may not.

Bad Crossy, bad - when you reversed I thought you were lining up to take a second run at her! :biggrin:

More seriously: technically she's at fault I guess by being on the wrong side of the road and without lights but we expect such things here......bad luck more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Bad Crossy, bad - when you reversed I thought you were lining up to take a second run at her! :biggrin:

Actually, reversing probably wasn't smart, she could have an appendage caught in the car.

But as always, hindsight is 20-20.

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

In my defence, that road is pretty busy even at 6AM, plenty to occupy your mind coming from the right. I will be more careful in future.

Which is why the NORMAL procedure is look right, left and RIGHT again for countries where they drive on the left, like UK and Thailand. Unfortunately, adopting the *transam variation on this (left, right and LEFT again) as they would 'on the continent', is almost mandatory here in LOS where nobody follows any rules or reason.

From your comment on watching for heavier traffic coming from your right, thank goodness you weren't being presented with a gap in traffic and decided to plant your right foot.

From your comment at the point/time of impact, I wholeheartedly agree!

BTW, isn't BBC Radio 2 dire in the wee small hours since they sh!tcanned Janice Long and Alex Lester and imposed those crap Playlists? Then we have that yappy happy Vanessa Feltz followed by the terminally abominable "Mr Shouty". Glad I'm not paying a license fee.

* The NL corollary to this is "Left, right, then left again... then a quick RIGHT again... and LEFT again, but not necessarily in that order."

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised nobody has voted 50-50 as yet, very much a black-and-white vote.

My fault for not looking properly, hers for ghost-riding.

Seriously it's an accident full-stop, an insurance company in the west l would say would judge as 50 - 50 in a claim.

In Thailand though l find things are looked at differently e.g. bicycle takes care of people walking,  motorbike takes care of both,  cars take care of all 3,  lorries don't give a dam. :biggrin: 

14 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Do you even have to ask who's fault it will be ? I would def give the dash cam video to the insurance man so when she claims she can never work again he has something to defend with.

I can sense that you are fresh out of krieng jai and song sahn then.

24 minutes ago, transam said:

I just put myself in her position, she is riding along and sees a stationary vehicle ahead, she keeps going cos it ain't moving, when she gets to the motor it moves..Of course we all would have probably used caution riding a bike heading towards a motor with it's lights on but she didn't.

I think it's something to do with their DNA.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Which is why the NORMAL procedure is look right, left and RIGHT again for countries where they drive on the left, like UK and Thailand.

The Uk is now "look all around", in Thailand that should include looking up.

I'm 100% sure I did look left, it's just natural, when I looked she wasn't visible.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It is? Must be to compensate for all those furreners on the (wrong side) of the road with the steering wheel suddenly on the 'wrong' side.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm 100% sure I did look left, it's just natural, when I looked she wasn't visible.

I really understand you.. and in an other thread i already posted that i hate people on the wrong side of the road.. but i think she is pushing it by wanting you to pay for a week wages. She is in the wrong too by being on the wrong side of the road. 

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Could be worse. Mate of mine back in the UK took heed of the telly advert to wear something white at night as he was walking to work early the next morning. White hat, white scarf white jacket... got hit by a snow plough.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I really understand you.. and in an other thread i already posted that i hate people on the wrong side of the road.. but i think she is pushing it by wanting you to pay for a week wages. She is in the wrong too by being on the wrong side of the road. 

Agreed that she is obviously trying it on and probably getting all sorts of 'advice' from friends and relatives. Mrs NL's prang when a couple of teenagers on an unlit motorbike t-boned her car degenerated into farce when the 'victims' family claimed they were the family breadwinners and bringing in 30,000 baht/week each. The oldest one was 15 and neither were of the looks or  build to get on stage in Walking Street.

In the end though, in this instance, the weekly stipend of the causal garden worker probably isn't a hill of beans to any of us. The OP may wish to make this cash disbursement as a sop to the krieng jai nonsense but maybe take the lady down to the police station and get her to sign off on a mutually agreed and witnessed statement NOT to claim for anything else, ever.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is? Must be to compensate for all those furreners on the (wrong side) of the road with the steering wheel suddenly on the 'wrong' side.

Actually it's been look all around (when crossing) since Dave Prowse (the original Darth Vader) was the Green Cross Man (crikey, was that really 1975?).

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Actually it's been look all around (when crossing) since Dave Prowse (the original Darth Vader) was the Green Cross Man (crikey, was that really 1975?).

Crikey! As Brucie would say, "Didn't he do well!?"

If that was 1975 and 'look around' had already replaced "stop, look right, look left and look right again", I am really beginning to feel my age. Then again, in '75, I was in collidge and learning the art of staying upright after more than a few pints of Mitchells & Butlers...

I had the same thing at work, coming out of a pipeline construction yard

Looked left looked right, pulled out as a motorcycle came the wrong way with husband, wife and of course infant baby.

Touched the bike, it fell over, low impact, driver's leg punctured by a piece of steel on the motorcycle frame.

Lots of yelling and pointing at me by the "victims"

Our company medics jumped in and took the "victims for treatment"

Our site security grabbed me and made me disappear into the office for  half an hour and then I went home.

Crossy, you are not to blame in the least. Just another example of  no look, no see, no problem.  Until of course there's a problem for ME

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Driving out of a turning looking left is the one of the main things l always think about now when driving in Thailand because at first had so many near misses, not just with people on wrong side but turning right and going right of you instead of left.

I was thinking in amusement if it went bad for Crossy and locals got to hear about it,  l could picture a queue of Thais on bicycles waiting for him to come out of his driveway. :laugh:

I nearly had a follow up story today but in the daylight....:sad:

Just come home from the gym, blind bend up ahead, ready to turn into it to find two pickups side by side, of course the numnut on my side of the road flashed his lights to make everything OK.....:shock1:....I came very close to going off road to test my 4WD.........:stoner:

But l have come accustomed now to dealing with that shit....

You have to have some sympathy here for both cyclists and scooter riders here. When I got my first motorbike if I wanted to  turn right I would ride down the centre of the road ready to turn when there was a gap, as in the UK. But after the amount of abuse and horn tooting I got I soon realised that this is not how they do it here in Thailand. Maybe in reality it would be better to wait on the left directly opposite where you want to turn right and wait for a gap in the traffic and speed across when safe to do so. But many, self included will keep looking for a gap before the right turn and cross before the turning, thus travelling down the wrong side for a few hundred metres perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Driving out of a turning looking left is the one of the main things l always think about now when driving in Thailand because at first had so many near misses, not just with people on wrong side but turning right and going right of you instead of left.

I was thinking in amusement if it went bad for Crossy and locals got to hear about it,  l could picture a queue of Thais on bicycles waiting for him to come out of his driveway. :laugh:

Yep, here the first and last thing I do is look left as many times folk have been on the wrong side of the road making turn or a shop etc is on the opposite side..:sad:

6 minutes ago, transam said:

of course the numnut on my side of the road flashed his lights to make everything OK....

And the equivalent with +3-up on a crotch rocket racing through a red light... with whitened thumb as they press the horn button harder!

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

... But many, self included will keep looking for a gap before the right turn and cross before the turning, thus travelling down the wrong side for a few hundred metres perhaps.

And THAT folks is what making u-turns across BOTH streams of oncoming traffic is made for.

Stay safe out there!

(which is exactly what I shouted this morning at two schoolgirls on a speeeding step-thru as they cut under my driver side wing mirror to go straight ahead from the right-turn ONLY lane...)

Yeah, same comment as others, wrong way rider.  That was one of the constant attention to detail items I had to pay attention to when first driving here, moreover, we came out of a left side drive country.   4 1/2 years, touch wood, no collisions yet but I imagine I'll get caught out at some point, and hopefully it's mild like your encounter.  Thanks for sharing the vid, good mental training/reminder.   

On another note, you have a lovely garden/drive area.  When I saw the electric gate motors mounted up high on the boundary wall, I smiled at the detail.  Reckon your house, infrastructure and related moving parts, have been done right all around.   Nice!  :thumbsup: 

Edited by 55Jay

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yeah, same comment as others, wrong way rider.  That was one of the constant attention to detail items I had to pay attention to when first driving here, moreover, we came out of a left side drive country.   4 1/2 years, touch wood, no collisions yet but I imagine I'll get caught out at some point, and hopefully it's mild like your encounter.  Thanks for sharing the vid, good mental training/reminder.   

On another note, you have a lovely garden/drive area.  When I saw the electric gate motors mounted up high on the boundary wall, I smiled at the detail.  Reckon your house, infrastructure and related moving parts, have been done right all around.   Nice!  :thumbsup: 

And it's all earthed.....:clap2:

I have an auto earthed gate thingy too....It's called Mrs.Trans....:giggle:

Edited by transam

4 hours ago, transam said:

Just a thought, lets dismiss the bike for a mo and the bird was walking or jogging......:stoner:

Who's fault then...?

We also need to consider the Butterfly Effect.

Old Lady drive her bicycle without lights on the wrong side of the road -> BTS Instrumentation technician hit her and show up late for work -> 6 years later 2 trains on the red line have a head on collision because of a faulty signal. 480 casualties.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We also need to consider the Butterfly Effect.

Old Lady drive her bicycle without lights on the wrong side of the road -> BTS Instrumentation technician hit her and show up late for work -> 6 years later 2 trains on the red line have a head on collision because of a faulty signal. 480 casualties.

Yeh, anything possible in LOS....:tongue: