Junta Allows Panel On Coup - Bans Words 'Junta' Or 'Coup'

snoop1130

Junta Allows Panel On Coup - Bans Words 'Junta' Or 'Coup'

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

3rdanniversarycoup-696x522.jpg

Chonticha Jangrew of the Democracy Restoration Group, holding cake, with Sirawith 'Ja New' Seritiwat, at right, and other pro-democracy activists mark the third anniversary of the 2014 coup on Monday at Thammasat University's Tha Pra Chan campus.

BANGKOK — How to talk about dictatorship, coups and military juntas when those doing the talking are banned from speaking those words?

This was not a hypothetical scenario Monday for the organizers of a two-day discussion marking the three-year anniversary of the May 22, 2014, military coup.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/05/22/junta-allows-panel-coup-bans-words-junta-coup/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-5-22

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank-you to our glorious and generous leader Prayut who was born on Thailands most sacred mountain Phu Pha, inside a secret military camp. At the exact moment of his birth, a new star formed and lit up the sky, the seasons suddenly changed from winter to spring, and a double rainbow appeared.

Edited by akirasan

There is a book written by George Orwell about a totalitarian government that controls public opinion in many ways, including banning words that might cause people to think.  Shortly after the coup public displays of this book and public readings from this book were banned.

I can't wait to see what the junta huggers will have to say about this latest Orwellian act by the junta.

It should not be called a coup ....  it should be called ' fixing the mess that others created

Well Done looks like you have a job rewriting the whole of the English Dictionary.

You will upset a few who speak the language as they will have to go back to school to learn your reinterpretation, as all the wars and lives they gave for freedom was a waste of time then.

9 hours ago, akirasan said:

Thank-you to our glorious and generous leader Prayut who was born on Thailands most sacred mountain Phu Pha, inside a secret military camp. At the exact moment of his birth, a new star formed and lit up the sky, the seasons suddenly changed from winter to spring, and a double rainbow appeared.

My friend take a day off you have been working to hard on this post.

I will give you the mark of Excellent + and the words Shear Brilliant. thanks for the laugh.

Next Word To Be Banned in this neck of the woods is

Facebook

No, it should be called: Just another Elite group who think they know better than the last group. And the merry-go-round of new groups continues couple times a decade. Of course each new group in power have all the answers and usual pontificating is profuse.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Junta and Military Dictatorship describes them admirably. It always makes me squirm when I hear the press describing Prayut as Prime Minister, as if he were part of some democratic process. 

I gets under my skin when western media refers to him as the PM. They of all people know better.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

It should not be called a coup ....  it should be called ' fixing the mess that others created ' ...  :wai:

Sadly, the army is responsible.  They never bothered to quell the unrest as they saw it in their favor not to.  Try speaking out against them and you will find your self having a confining, not so pleasant chit chat.  It is and was a coup, and it is a military government under martial law. 

Kudos to you for being one of the last apologists though.  

Did YL ever ban any words from being spoken or did she go after her detractors with unnamed henchmen or other illegal, super legal threats ?  She is under Thai law where the good general and others are not.  It sounds like a coup classic.  

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Sadly, the army is responsible.  They never bothered to quell the unrest as they saw it in their favor not to.  Try speaking out against them and you will find your self having a confining, not so pleasant chit chat.  It is and was a coup, and it is a military government under martial law. 

Kudos to you for being one of the last apologists though.  

Did YL ever ban any words from being spoken or did she go after her detractors with unnamed henchmen or other illegal, super legal threats ?  She is under Thai law where the good general and others are not.  It sounds like a coup classic.  

disagree ...  and I don't consider myself an apologist ...  I like thailand & the Junta.

before there was bombings, security issues, airport closures, blockages, protests, killings ... and more ........

Khun Prayuth took control ....  he brought in stability and security ..

you can travel anywhere you like

you have security without protests and shootings

you can go shopping

you can do everything as before

they brought in some measures to clear footpaths

they went after the criminals, including Thaksin & YL.

So what is wrong with Thailand apart from you cannot have protests & cause anarchy.

In thailand ...  the parties cannot agree and they will fight .... so what is wrong with someone controlling that and waving the stick ...

It makes sense to me that now there is stability ....  

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I like thailand & the Junta....

What is this word?

Those who love Uncle know that the use of this word is forbidden by decree.

This word has no meaning.

This word does not exist. This word has never existed. This word will never exist.

Edited by Hayduke

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

So what is wrong with Thailand apart from you cannot have protests & cause anarchy.

In thailand ...  the parties cannot agree and they will fight .... so what is wrong with someone controlling that and waving the stick ...

It makes sense to me that now there is stability ....  

Simple, they comply with those who agree with them and unfairly deal with those who don't.  Nobody has a right to an opinion.   You may have trouble stomaching this quote from Ben Franklin:  "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".   I regard my health and personal safety my responsibility, even more so while in Thailand, as we all know why. 

Yes there were and are bombings, but as a whole the Thai people were mostly peaceful.  Today they cannot gather and talk about politics.  That is holding the country back even in the junta's perspective.  Cannot have true reconciliation without people allowed to gather and share their opinion. 

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Simple, they comply with those who agree with them and unfairly deal with those who don't.  Nobody has a right to an opinion.   You may have trouble stomaching this quote from Ben Franklin:  "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".   I regard my health and personal safety my responsibility, even more so while in Thailand, as we all know why. 

Yes there were and are bombings, but as a whole the Thai people were mostly peaceful.  Today they cannot gather and talk about politics.  That is holding the country back even in the junta's perspective.  Cannot have true reconciliation without people allowed to gather and share their opinion. 

we agree to disagree .......      I prefer law and order rather than fighting and anarchy just for the sake of an opinion ...