British police says responding to serious incident at Manchester Arena

webfact

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No, not a pogrom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogrom

No wish to physically harm anyone.

However, I think the community has to carry the can.....

The "community"response to the lunacy that was going on at Finsbury Park was initially denial but eventually organized and effective. They really do need to get better at identifying and rooting out some of the remaining nutters....no easy task because they are (relatively) few and pretty good at disguising themselves ( as was apparent in most of those involved in 2005 ( a further complication is that many of the extremists seem to radicalise in a very short space of time). 

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Also if these suicide bombers are willing to end their own lives, capital punishment cannot be effective, can it?

I'm not sure.  Do they still get their bevy of virgins if we hang them?

Where do they get all the virgins from?  Considering Indonesia is the most populous (I believe) Muslim nation, I can't remember seeing 70-odd virgins to each young male there!

Religion, ridiculous when you think about it.

Jesus was supposed to have been born in Nigeria, except they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Suprise, suprise - BBC is now stating it was a lone bomber.....  Not sure whether to laugh at the naivety/gullibility of some posters, or cry  - edit those who were coming up with excuses as to why this information had not been released....

In the immediate aftermath of a mass causality terror attack on my fellow citizens, I personally find it objectionable for members to indulge in conspiracy speculation. As a number of members have already suggested - give it a rest.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Suprise, suprise - BBC is now stating it was a lone bomber.....  Not sure whether to laugh at the naivety/gullibility of some posters, or cry  - edit those who were coming up with excuses as to why this information had not been released....

Do you think the "lone" bomber provided his own munitions and tech....?

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Codswallop!

No, you're wrong

Look at the statistics from countries that still have capital punishment. Are the murder rates down? No

These terrorists want to be martyrs. Why give them what they want?

Anyway taking a life in cold blood is barbaric

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

And you would probably be the first to complain if you couldn't get fuel to run your car or heat/cool your home.

Oil is the lifeblood of the west, that's why we have to get involved.

And that attitude has resulted in the terrorism that is now apparent, as per this attack - the latest in a long list :sad:,

Western countries weren't on middle eastern countries' terrorists' radar very much - until we started waging war to protect our business interests......

I gather its now been confirmed that the US sources were telling the truth (no skin off their nose as it didn't happen in their country), whilst UK authorities preferred to hide the truth for a while - for no discernible reason other than it being an automatic reaction?

No. The British authorities waited for the facts to be confirmed before announcing it in an official statement. As they should.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you think the "lone" bomber provided his own munitions and tech....?

I don't have a clue in this case, but with instructions from the interweb and a quick visit to a few shops for reloading supplies, fertilizer or other commercial chemicals, you too could put together a bomb that would dwarf this one.

Hell, just look at the goobers in north Thailand shooting off rockets as big as a Buick.  Which occasionally go bang...

It may have been a conspiracy.  Or it may have been a lone nutjob.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No, you're wrong

Look at the statistics from countries that still have capital punishment. Are the murder rates down? No

These terrorists want to be martyrs. Why give them what they want?

Anyway taking a life in cold blood is barbaric

But the binned murderers don't murder again do they...

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Very true - I only 'heard' that that a suicide bomber had been confirmed by Brit. sources - long after US sources.

If it proves to be true - the UK authorities have a lot to explain....

I disagree Dick.

Not letting the public know the suicide bomber had been identified is an obvious route to take. It gives the authorities more time to raid associates and find more information.

As soon as you let everyone know you have identified the person, his/her accomplices will clear off as quick as they can. These people are not known for being intelligent and if no info is given out they often think they are safe.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I don't have a clue in this case, but with instructions from the interweb and a quick visit to a few shops for reloading supplies, fertilizer or other commercial chemicals, you too could put together a bomb that would dwarf this one.

Fink you need a truck for the fertilizer route...

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hell, just look at the goobers in north Thailand shooting off rockets as big as a Buick.  Which occasionally go bang...

Take it from me, a hand portable device with that destructive power can not be made from weed killer and sugar.....

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Fink you need a truck for the fertilizer route...

Have you never watched the Discovery Channel where they pour a few pounds of fertilizer with diesel down a drilled hole to bust rocks for mining or quarrying?  That's a big bang with a few pounds of fertilizer.

Edit:  Go to Youtube and search for fertilizer bomb.  The NSA will flag you, but that's all part of the problem, isn't it...

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

In the immediate aftermath of a mass causality terror attack on my fellow citizens, I personally find it objectionable for members to indulge in conspiracy speculation. As a number of members have already suggested - give it a rest.

Somehow you're managing to entirely miss my point....

I'm not suggesting this bomber acted alone - just that the BBC now seems to agree with earlier US reports that it was a suicide bomber.

The death toll in this sickening incident has now risen to 22 and it is confirmed children are among the dead.

I cannot begin to understand the mentality of anyone who feels it is acceptable to target innocent children.

Whoever, if anyone has assisted the bomber, I hope the cops find them. Reinstating public burnings sounds good about now.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

I'm not suggesting this bomber acted alone - just that the BBC now seems to agree with earlier US reports that it was a suicide bomber.

no, just getting bored with you saying that we should listen to the US reports without conducting our own investigation 

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Take it from me, a hand portable device with that destructive power can not be made from weed killer and sugar.....

But a backpack full?  My 30 liter backpack can hold well over 100 pounds of sand.  So how much fertilizer could it hold?

The point I'm making is that this didn't need to be high tech, or a group effort.  It could have been one nutjob with some pretty ubiquitous stuff.

3 minutes ago, Flustered said:

I disagree Dick.

Not letting the public know the suicide bomber had been identified is an obvious route to take. It gives the authorities more time to raid associates and find more information.

As soon as you let everyone know you have identified the person, his/her accomplices will clear off as quick as they can. These people are not known for being intelligent and if no info is given out they often think they are safe.

Its not a case of letting the public know that the suicide bomber has been identified!

I just see no reason why we have to learn that it was a suicide bomber from US sources....

We should take a step back from this atrocity. A lone bomber was responsible for the deaths of 22 people and 50+ injured (more people are killed and injured on the roads in a week, but that isn't headlines across every newspaper). The concert's capacity was 21,000. The UK contains 65 million citizens.

Yes, it was a barbaric act, yes there should be action taken by the UK, yes there should be mourning by the relatives, but put this into perspective and not engage in gung-ho suggestions to wipe all muslims off the face of the earth or bring back capital punishment - these are extreme measure to resolve the actions of one zealot. 

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

With respect it appears you're not understanding the reporting out of the UK. As an example UK police, at this stage, believe it was a lone attacker at the concert, but are investigating who else, if any, were involved with the attack. A major task force has been established so likely a while before the investigation is completed.

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

We should take a step back from this atrocity. A lone bomber was responsible for the deaths of 22 people and 50+ injured (more people are killed and injured on the roads in a week, but that isn't headlines across every newspaper). The concert's capacity was 21,000. The UK contains 65 million citizens.

Yes, it was a barbaric act, yes there should be action taken by the UK, yes there should be mourning by the relatives, but put this into perspective and not engage in gung-ho suggestions to wipe all muslims off the face of the earth or bring back capital punishment - these are extreme measure to resolve the actions of one zealot. 

In other words, just get used to it and live with it, eh?  Are you the mayor of London by any chance?

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

But us Brits do not like premeditated murder of kids which is religion based...It is a no-no..

What happens on the roads is not premeditated, big difference.....I am sure UK folk are now smoldering, there will be a time when enough is enough...

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

The Brits are second to none on this kind of thing. Let them do what they need to do. They have their reasons if they are withholding information.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Some people want to confirm information before spreading it, others don't mind spreading unconfirmed rumours.

58 minutes ago, Caps said:

Or maybe even not Speculating and waiting till they have the facts,,,which is probably more the case

57 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

The British Police tend not to come out with information until they are cleare about the facts. Why do you think they should behave like the RTP making statements based on speculation

41 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

it's called an investigation. Until the facts are clear, people not involved have no reason to know.

At least that is the way it should be. But in this age of digital social media, too many people consider themselves important enough to know everything immediately.

Take a breath and relax, it is not going to change your life if information is kept from you until it is verified. There are already enough suffering the after effects of this cowardly attack on the innocent.

Its always worthwhile remembering a few of the posters sure that the US sources were merely speculating, and we should rely on any 'hard facts' forthcoming from Brit. authorities....

1 minute ago, transam said:

But us Brits do not like premeditated murder of kids which is religion based...It is a no-no..

What happens on the roads is not premeditated, big difference.....I am sure UK folk are now smoldering, there will be a time when enough is enough...

transam, the West is bombing middle east cities as we debate this, killing many innocent kids - it's called collateral damage. There are hundreds of thousand refugees and displaced people all over the world. Maybe this one zealot thought as you do, enough is enough.

Living in the UK or Europe is like living in a protective bubble of what atrocities are being incurred all over the globe. Why? It's as one poster said. OIL interests to run your car or your heating/cooling.  

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Its always worthwhile remembering a few of the posters sure that the US sources were merely speculating, and we should rely on any 'hard facts' forthcoming from Brit. authorities....

I was not up to the US Officials to say anything, its down to the British Government/Police....BUT no, they just can not help themselves.....maybe if they kept their noses out of other peoples problems the world might be a better place

I'm not sure of the relevance of quoting attendance figures or population numbers. Do we have to quage the seriousness of the attack by the % who died?
These were innocent children and I'm guessing the majority who have lost their lives will be young teenagers and sadly some parents who went along to keep them safe, what a tragic irony.
As a previous poster eluded, this is a different ball game totally. Regardless of the numbers, this one horrific attack will cause more anger than any previous ones because of the intended targets.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived