Pool table purchase nightmare

kwak250

I have recently purchased a Pool table which included setting up from a guy who is selling his nearly new 4 week old pool table due to relocation.

The problem is all 6 legs seem to have a reddish sap coming through the varnish.

The guy said he was going to come but never arrived and sent a few things guys who assembled it but it came with a brand new cloth which I thought was odd.

Now I can see it's an old table refurbished and painted over as all the paint is wearing off and it looks like shot after about 1 month.

Hopefully the pictures will upload.

What can I do to rectify this and what would you do?

The guy still sells these for 35,000 baht and they look great when they arrive but after a few games the paint was getting scratched off just from a cue around the table.

I am sure I have legal rights as these are clearly refurbished. Also now the slates seem to have moved and there is a ridge.

Any advice would be great as a 4 week old table shouldn't have developed faults like this?

1495502215460.thumb.jpg.6863d04b2621f4777bad802be14725f9.jpg1495502215460.thumb.jpg.6863d04b2621f4777bad802be14725f9.jpg1495502215460.thumb.jpg.6863d04b2621f4777bad802be14725f9.jpg1495502220649.thumb.jpg.828356ae56cc3f882231661e3469193f.jpg1495502220649.thumb.jpg.828356ae56cc3f882231661e3469193f.jpg

And you bought this from a location unknown?  From an unregistered cell phone number contact?

Have no idea of costs but suspect that is clearly a well used price so probably not a lot you can effectively do other than make the best of it.  

The guy still sells and seems genuine he is advertising on most classified 35000 baht Inc setting up.

I thought it was a genuine sale due to relocating as he states but it seems this is his business selling off refurbished tables with a new lick of paint

Well if only the legs are the problem, you should be able to sort that out yourself.

The cloth and "the spring" on the sides are the most important, so it fells nice to play on, if the problem is only cosmetic, not a big deal.

Expect best to have a known woodworker provide estimate as likely to be a lot more work then you would want to undertake.  Ask around and get personal recommendation as not all are equal - but if properly done should look good for a long time.  

If he says brand new xx weeks ago suspect he would say meaning is he bought it that number of weeks ago so new for him.  Be very careful - especially when dealing with fellow westerners would be my caution.  Know it is a bit late but in this case you do actually have something of about the paid value - these units are extremely expensive here AFAIK.

7 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The cloth and "the spring" on the sides are the most important, so it fells nice to play on, if the problem is only cosmetic, not a big deal.

I suspect that the real problem will be that "... the slates seem to have moved and there is a ridge."

so you paid 35,000 baht for a reconditioned pool table ....  

If you were to buy a new pool table it would cost more than 60,000 baht ...

You paid for what you got ....   get a cabinet maker or similar to touch it up for a few thousand baht and you still have a cheap table that will look good.

Thanks everyone just a bit dissapointed how quick it went from looking like absolutely brand new and shiny with a beautiful finish to <deleted> but hey Ho this is Thailand and it's not just the locals that a crafty there are many westerners who are just as good ..

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Sandpaper,wood stain,finish off with varnish,not a difficult job,

as you say,new cloth fitted,so only cosmetic,it's always best to

view anything before you buy.

regards worgeordie

Thanks I will do this when I get time the problem wasn't viewing before I bought it as it didn't look like this when it arrived the legs were perfect and had a nice finish now over the last few weeks it looks like a candle has dripped all over them. 

I am not sure how bad this will get but told it's the sap from the wood coming through .

58 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"after a few games the paint was getting scratched off just from a cue around the table. "

How on earth do you get the paint of the legs in a few games with your cue?

How did the slates move?

The legs were not touched with a cue they somehow managed to develop this defect under the varnish .

The slate seems to have risen slightly although very slightly I may not have noticed it at first we are talking a couple of milimeters and only is noticeable when a ball lands exactly on it.

It's the top of the table between  the pockets that the once shiny finish is now dull and scratched which I would not have expected even in the UK I had pool and snooker tables which never developed a fault.

The table never arrived like this it looked absolutely brand new and as described but this developed over the last few weeks.

looks like what ever they used to paint over the legs etc has not taken to the original surface, would need to actually see it in person to be sure(this was my trade). There has been no preparation before painting and they have probably used a very cheap paint as well, by looking at it I would guess they have simply added stainer to varnish to try to get coverage over the lighter areas. You really need to strip it back to bare timber and start from scratch so you are working off a clean surface then using a good quality lacquer or polyurethane, there are some great 2 packs around that would take all the knocks etc. If you want a painted finish its a bit of a different process but unfortunately the required undercoats that would ensure bonding are not available here, I had to bring mine back from Australia. If you can drag you fingernails along the surface and it comes off  then its as I have stated although you may find some areas it has bonded better

Edited by seajae

22 minutes ago, seajae said:

looks like what ever they used to paint over the legs etc has not taken to the original surface, would need to actually see it in person to be sure(this was my trade). There has been no preparation before painting and they have probably used a very cheap paint as well, by looking at it I would guess they have simply added stainer to varnish to try to get coverage over the lighter areas. You really need to strip it back to bare timber and start from scratch so you are working off a clean surface then using a good quality lacquer or polyurethane, there are some great 2 packs around that would take all the knocks etc. If you want a painted finish its a bit of a different process but unfortunately the required undercoats that would ensure bonding are not available here, I had to bring mine back from Australia. If you can drag you fingernails along the surface and it comes off  then its as I have stated although you may find some areas it has bonded better

I recall refinishing an oak desk back when I had more time and energy than money and it took me many hours to get the old finish stripped off.  More hours than I'd be willing to spend if I knew beforehand what I learned in the process.  

Being experienced in such things, can you estimate the hours it would take so the OP doesn't start something he will regret?  It may not look great, but half refinished would look even worse...

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Thanks I will do this when I get time the problem wasn't viewing before I bought it as it didn't look like this when it arrived the legs were perfect and had a nice finish now over the last few weeks it looks like a candle has dripped all over them. 

I am not sure how bad this will get but told it's the sap from the wood coming through .

I am by no means a professional woodworker and have never played Pool / Snooker / Billiards in my life but it seems clear to me that if "sap" is leaking from the support legs then surely the "support" itself is compromised and the table can no longer be true - i.e. level?

Acceptable for a fun game I suppose, but not for more serious competitions.

Patrick

26 minutes ago, seajae said:

Hi thanks Seajae this is exactly the suggestion i was wanting and even the undersides are plain wood with a bit of stainer splashed on .

This explains what has happened as even on the top of the table the colour has faded and now quite scratched although it has bonded much better

As I mentioned - if it were me it would be contracted out.  This will be a lot of hand work as almost no parts of legs are smooth.  

I recall, with dread, the many months I spent as a teenager removing decades of paint from a New England colonial home built in 1775 and painted many, many times.  Getting down to original wood was a family job for a long time.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As I mentioned - if it were me it would be contracted out.  This will be a lot of hand work as almost no parts of legs are smooth.  

I recall, with dread, the many months I spent as a teenager removing decades of paint from a New England colonial home built in 1775 and painted many, many times.  Getting down to original wood was a family job for a long time.

My concern with contracting it out would be that I'd be in the same situation a week after it came back.  Easy to make it look good (and get paid).  Hard to do it right so it lasts.  Hours and hours and hours hard...

On 5/23/2017 at 6:37 PM, impulse said:

I recall refinishing an oak desk back when I had more time and energy than money and it took me many hours to get the old finish stripped off.  More hours than I'd be willing to spend if I knew beforehand what I learned in the process.  

Being experienced in such things, can you estimate the hours it would take so the OP doesn't start something he will regret?  It may not look great, but half refinished would look even worse...

more like how many days, paint stripper, a blade  and steel wool with a bucket of water to get into the grooves and on the curves, there will be a lot of work there. Then once it is stripped a lot of sanding to clean the woods surface up, once done though it will come up with a much better finish, a 2 pack semi gloss clear will make sure the finish lasts for many years as its very hard, an appropriate stain under it will colour up the wood nice as well but the option is always there to use a solid finish as well. This of course all depends on what they actually used to coat it too, may come off easier but you will have to remove all the pockets, the felt top and the side cushions before you do any work at all.

By all means if you want to message me I can explain/help with any queries

Edited by seajae

Appears to have been coated with a cheap, nasty low quality varnish or wood stain.

Only one way to solve this problem. First the crap varnish or stain will have to be completely removed with a wood varnish and stain remover. Once down to the bare wood, then the wood needs to be treated with a chemical wood preserver to protect against termites and woodworm. Once applied and dry, next the table has to be covered in a good quality wood varnish. Maybe more than one coat required. When completely dry, polish the wood with a good quality wood polish.

This literally means starting right from scratch, as unfortunately there are no short cuts around this.

Judging by the state of those legs, before you do anything I'd suggest you grab a flashlight and get under the table to get a visual on that "slate" bed. Unless you checked it out when they were installing the table and are 100% certain that it is real slate, you may be in for a nasty surprise. Cheap tables often have wood, granite or even concrete beds, and if you find that it ain't slate then any work you do on the table is just throwing good money after bad. Better to swallow your pride, accept that you've been sold a dud and move on. You can still have some fun with it but you can forget about it ever being the table of your dreams...

In the event that the bed is genuine slate and (hopefully) at least 3/4" thick and you decide it's worth persevering with, then I'd suggest you look for a company that does acid dipping to remove the old coating from the legs. Not sure if they exist in Thailand though. If you decide to do it yourself then the least strenuous way I have found is to buy some paint stripper, apply it with a brush all over, wait as long as it tells you on the tin and then go at it with a pressure washer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well had a great result the guys that fitted it have replaced all the legs and any defects .Re-levelled it and it's back to perfect again .

Very happy with there response the legs aparently were not fully dry before being painted .

The service and response from these guys is great just goes to show there are some good people out there.