Cheapest (safe) way to send USA credit card to Thailand (Pattaya)

boike

1 hour ago, CaptHaddock said:

USPS International First Class mail should cost about $6. 

Yes, every time I've had a credit card sent from the US, it was sent by regular airmail. No problem. All have been received.

Edited by Suradit69

7 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, every time I've had a credit card sent from the US, it was sent by regular airmail. No problem. All have been received.

There is no international mail service from USPS called "airmail."  Probably you sent is International First Class.

https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm

Did OP mean UPS (United Parcel Service) or USPS (United States Postal Service)?  The $61 fee appears to be a charge that UPS would make - I have used Fed Ex to send important documents and credit cards to me and as I recall, the fee was around $60.

My cc provider used FEDEX overnight.  'Course it didn't arrive overnight (it took 5 days, incl a weekend), but it cost me nothing and I was able to track it, even incl its progress within Thailand.  The delivery service used was the cc provider's choice and not my option.

30 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Did OP mean UPS (United Parcel Service) or USPS (United States Postal Service)?  The $61 fee appears to be a charge that UPS would make - I have used Fed Ex to send important documents and credit cards to me and as I recall, the fee was around $60.

USPS does have a sooper-dooper service that will cost $61. 

45 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

There is no international mail service from USPS called "airmail."  Probably you sent is International First Class.

https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm

" Probably you sent is International First Class."

Actually I don't send mail to myself.

The person who sends them to me has done so over the last 40 years while I've been living and working out of the US. During that time there was indeed international airmail service from the US. It only ended as a designation in 1995. So I have received credit cards sent to me by airmail from the US and, despite the change in USPS terminology, the cards are still sent in airmail envelopes and travel most of the distance by air.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

" Probably you sent is International First Class."

Actually I don't send mail to myself.

The person who sends them to me has done so over the last 40 years while I've been living and working out of the US. During that time there was indeed international airmail service from the US. It only ended as a designation in 1995. So I have received credit cards sent to me by airmail from the US and, despite the change in USPS terminology, the cards are still sent in airmail envelopes and travel most of the distance by air.

And obsolete mailing options from twenty years ago are relevant to the OP's question how exactly?

Thanks everyone. Yes I meant USPS not UPS. Bank of America will not send it to my address in Thailand. But now I'm confident that I can have the not activated​ card sent by 1st class, registered mail for $19.95.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

My cc provider used FEDEX overnight.  'Course it didn't arrive overnight (it took 5 days, incl a weekend), but it cost me nothing and I was able to track it, even incl its progress within Thailand.  The delivery service used was the cc provider's choice and not my option.

Would you please tell me where you are banking. Might be time to switch. Cheers

May cost you the price of a beer............. I spend about a month in California then a month in Thailand.......... I'm back and forth almost monthly, My next trip is June 6 to BKK............

I have a home in Pattaya on the 'darkside' (east side of Sukhumvit)............

I live in California. If you want my address I can give you then your party could mail Your credit card to me and I hand carry it to Pattaya........

I have a lot of friends in Pattaya. I could give you some Phone numbers for them so you could talk to them to know I'm real.............

My phone in California is (909) 800-5458 if your friend here wants to call me.......... I'm flying out early on June 6............

after my first 2 went missing after being sent in bank envelopes I had the thridt sent in an envelope inside a speed post bag that was registered, that one had nothing indicating it was from a bank and it arrived, I was not charged anything by my bank as this is my registered address.

May cost you the price of a beer............. I spend about a month in California then a month in Thailand.......... I'm back and forth almost monthly, My next trip is June 6 to BKK............
I have a home in Pattaya on the 'darkside' (east side of Sukhumvit)............
I live in California. If you want my address I can give you then your party could mail Your credit card to me and I hand carry it to Pattaya........
I have a lot of friends in Pattaya. I could give you some Phone numbers for them so you could talk to them to know I'm real.............
My phone in California is (909) 800-5458 if your friend here wants to call me.......... I'm flying out early on June 6............

Thanks a lot Sawadeeken. I too have brought back stuff for people I didn't know and never had a problem. Just found out that someone my family knows leaves in 2 days and I will pick it up in Pattaya.

My card was flagged in a fraud alert being used in an on=line purchase. My bank (in Canada) sent me a replacement card

with a new number. I arrived at my condo in Jomtien 48 hours later, no charge. So I would ask your bank to send it

directly to you , and not have a third party send it.

Regular mail seems to be hit and miss lately. In the past 2 years, I have several cards that have never arrived. I call the bank, they cancel the card and send me a replacement by Fed Ex.

Ironically, they initially point out that "for security, we send the card in a plain white envelope". But then they put no padding inside, so anyone handling the envelope can immediately know there is a card inside.

I used to have total trust in the post office, but my experience now is without a tracking number, it's a crap shoot.

Not specifically on topic but related:

Some years ago I lost my wallet and my CC.  When I had my US bank send a CC (actually, debit card) to me here in Thailand, I was unable to activate it from here.  The activation code was 6 digits and Thai ATM's only transmitted four.  I could not activate by telephone either because only calls from US located phones were accepted. Bank customer service could not help either.  I ended up having to cancel that card, order another to be delivered to my US address (sister) and have her activate the card before sending it to me via US Postal Express.  Real PIA!

Nobody has mentioned having activation problems in this thread.  Is it no longer an issue?  I always make it a point to replace all my cards when I am visiting the US to avoid the problem.  Is that no longer necessary?

Not specifically on topic but related:

Some years ago I lost my wallet and my CC.  When I had my US bank send a CC (actually, debit card) to me here in Thailand, I was unable to activate it from here.  The activation code was 6 digits and Thai ATM's only transmitted four.  I could not activate by telephone either because only calls from US located phones were accepted. Bank customer service could not help either.  I ended up having to cancel that card, order another to be delivered to my US address (sister) and have her activate the card before sending it to me via US Postal Express.  Real PIA!

Nobody has mentioned having activation problems in this thread.  Is it no longer an issue?  I always make it a point to replace all my cards when I am visiting the US to avoid the problem.  Is that no longer necessary?

Online activation nowadays is very easy through app of your bank or online. And also banks in Europe and Asia can process 6 digits PIN's

I have received American Express Card at my address in Thailand by regular mail even if the address was somewhat sparse such as Mr. Kokopelli, Happy Days Condo, Pattaya, Thailand.

Also American Express has sent cards to me via DHL at not extra cost to me.