Warning: credit card fraud after using my card at Living Index Mall in Pattaya

Kitmakmak

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Very easy for who ever had the card even only to do the transaction to note the CVC.

Agreed. That is why it is best practice not to let the card out of your sight or better still if the card owner puts it thru the card swipe machine.

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

Had the same done to me several times in the last year or so, and I had to replace my Visa card 3 times, I got some charges from several countries for thousands of dollars, but I fear not, as my Krung Sri bank covers me against all losses no questions asked....

Good on Krung Sri bank, I hope they keep on doing that when they change bosses as bank branches do from time to time.

14 hours ago, tprender said:

It is part of the agreement with the major credit companies.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

I hope the same applies to debit cards.

Edited by possum1931

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

yeah right ....   so now I don't ever think about my CC when I'm in a line at an ATM ....  i just concentrate on sex :shock1:

Sex?? What about the drink that you say makes you plastered by tea time? :cheesy:

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

Had the same done to me several times in the last year or so, and I had to replace my Visa card 3 times, I got some charges from several countries for thousands of dollars, but I fear not, as my Krung Sri bank covers me against all losses no questions asked....

hi ezzra

you are right in that the banks standby with the customer in case of these fraudulent transactions but the  hassle of changing the card and then changing the data base of the points where your card is being used for online purchases etc is cumbersome.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Every time I use my UOB (Thai) credit card I get an SMS from the bank telling me a charge has been made to the card and the amount and telling me to contact the bank if it wasn't me - pretty simple and effective stuff really.

Same with my Ayudda bank and my Thanachart bank costs a few baht a month ,

I ONLY use my American MC ...INSIDE...  my Thai bank at a customer assistance desk - 25000bt each time, and deposited to my bank account at the Thai bank ( also at a better exchange rate).  ( My US bank will NOT honor any charge against my card unless it is from my Thai bank )

OK, it takes 15 minutes to complete the process, but the 15 minutes is worth the $800US that someone might get each time thru fraud.  3 days must pass before another charge is made against the card UNLESS I call my US bank.  The card was flaged several times because I made a ballance inquiry after my withdraw, my US bank is on their toes protecting me.

My Thai bank will cover any loss from their card ... Max I ever have in the account was 30000bt

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Sex?? What about the drink that you say makes you plastered by tea time? :cheesy:

possum ...  you know i drink every day and i am usually drunk by 3.30-4.00pm and i'm in bed by 7.00pm because i'm really pissed ....:burp:  but i think i'm gettin weaker by the day ... not so young anymore.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

The OP was not using it online. 

I was talking about the fraudster. From the first message of this topic:

"Somebody had used my card details to buy computer software online in the US. "

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The CVV is clearly written on your card - anyone who handled it could have recorded it.

It should not be readable on your cards.

For years banks have told us to memorize or note the CVV, and then to conceal the number on the back of your card (black pen), precisely to avoid that anyone could use your card online.

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

I was talking about the fraudster. From the first message of this topic:

"Somebody had used my card details to buy computer software online in the US. "

It should not be readable on your cards.

For years banks have told us to memorize or note the CVV, and then to conceal the number on the back of your card (black pen), precisely to avoid that anyone could use your card online.

My banks have never said any such thing - and one of them is among the top 10 in the world for assets.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My banks have never said any such thing -.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Nor any of mine 3 UK and 2 Thai

Just Google "remove CVV" and you will get thousand on pages about that, like this one

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pf/remove-cvv-code-prevent-misuse-110062700039_1.html

14 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I am very perplex every time I read such stories... :unsure:

For many years I have to always confirm any online purchase with a code the bank send me by SMS, for all the cards I had, from different banks. Sometimes double check with 3-D Secure Visa or similar.  So are there still banks that don't use such systems ?

Also the CVV is required - at least with my cards - for any online use. So how is it possible that someone can so easily buy software online in the USA ??

:unsure:

Absolutely, without the code, valid only a few minute, sent by SMS by my bank,  impossible to use the card online.

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Just Google "remove CVV" and you will get thousand on pages about that, like this one

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pf/remove-cvv-code-prevent-misuse-110062700039_1.html

Not living in India and that is 7 years old - if you read the second display on Google you will find a current item from South Africa saying your card (on advice of largest banks) may become invalid if you do this.

I rarely ever use my credit card except for online purchases.

I would be much more suspicious of an "online purchase" leding to the fraudulent use....not saying someone in the shop couldn't have but.....

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I would be much more suspicious of an "online purchase" leding to the fraudulent use....not saying someone in the shop couldn't have but.....

So would I - the only time it has happened to me was after a US florist delivery order being placed - and as did not use for anything else that had to be the source, either from hacking or selling.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Same here, I think it was another TV member ( Bazza  )  who said it was best to have a metal covering around your CC.

So I wrap them in alfoil 5 times ...  and keep a 1 meter safety barrier from anyone ......   apparently they can get your details just by brushing past you. :shock1:

I just purchased a small credit card holder, which is all metal.  It is advertised as being proof against external card readers.

I'm not 100% sure about this - so will try and test it, but I think if you have several bank cards in the same wallet, the reader will not work?

I know that if you have two BTS cards stuck together (happened accidentally at Songkran due to wet cards in my pocket) then they will not work.  So, no need for a tinfoil wallet if you carry more than one card ......... probably.

15 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I am very perplex every time I read such stories... :unsure:

For many years I have to always confirm any online purchase with a code the bank send me by SMS, for all the cards I had, from different banks. Sometimes double check with 3-D Secure Visa or similar.  So are there still banks that don't use such systems ?

Also the CVV is required - at least with my cards - for any online use. So how is it possible that someone can so easily buy software online in the USA ??

:unsure:

If you give someone at a store your CC they can copy your CVV. Or is that impossible?

i used a credit card at a steakhouse in bangkok a few years ago.  the next morning i had an email from my credit card company about possible fraud.  my card had been used to buy a bunch of stuff in the USA (i assume online purchases but not sure).  i rarely use my credit card in thailand, only for online purchases of airline tickets, hotels, etc..  at least i knew who the culprit was, i wasn't left wondering who screwed me over.   suffice to say, the steakhouse didn't get anymore of my business.  good advice here in this thread about the dangers of using the card in person with a merchant.  ultimately, the fraud charges get covered but it can be a hassle to get a new card. 

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I heard it was done telepathically, mind transfer and all that, you've gotta be careful out there. :sleepy:

Actually done with an electronic scanner. Mind transfer implies.......oh, never mind.

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I heard it was done telepathically, mind transfer and all that, you've gotta be careful out there. :sleepy:

its quite simple really , all you need to do is slip the local monk/abbot  a few hundred baht and have an amulet blessed ,  

wear this amulet around your neck and absolutely no harm or evil spirit will touch you or your cards :crazy: