Sleep or Hibernate with Netbook

chiangrai

My last netbook died prematurely because I left it on all

day and turned it off every night,The guy in the shop said it

was from running it hot and I blew the motherboard.

So I bought a new netbook and got an SSD put into it and am

now going to set either sleep or hibernate to stop it running all day.

I couldn't do that in the last netbook because it had a dodgy copy of windows.

I found some videos on YouTube about whether to use sleep or

hibernate but none had an SSD in a fan-less netbook.

So my question is,when I turn on my machine in the late morning

and come and go from it all day,do I need to put it into hibernate

or just to sleep when it senses I'm idle.

I'm not so worried about loosing data,I just don't want to age my motherboard prematurely.

It's a classic discussion here in Thailand because most of the computers aren't designed for a tropical country like Thailand. I would answer this question like Thai people. It's all about temperature. If you use your computer in the room with the air conditioner, you can sleep or hibernate the system. But if you use in the room with room temperature, please shut the system down. The weather here is a computer killer. Sorry if my answer can't help you any

That could be nonsense. I'm still using a laptop that spent many years in a humid South American climate. It is now eight years old.

My Netbook is even older, at nine years old,  It is on the whole day when in Thailand, as it's used as an entertainment centre.

I don't use air con.

If it was overheating, you mentioned that you were using it with a dodgy copy of Windows and couldn't utilise power management. That seems to be the root of your issue.

Also perhaps you didn't update the BIOS to the latest or you didn't use it on a flat surface. ...

Many variables.

I forgot to mention that I live high in the mountains and don't get over heating in the room I use it in.Also the base of the machine is on a stand,propped up at an angle so it isn't in full contact with the table.

I think I am going to use either sleep or hibernate.I will use sleep

if I can get away with it.

So is there any advantage in using hibernation over sleep

regarding the life of the netbook.

I know hibernate uses less power and saves your work better than sleep but I'm not interested in that.

I have my laptop on 24h a day for the last 4 years.. the SSD upgrade would make a difference heatwise and more silent too.

if you clean the fans and ventilation holes once in a while should be fine..

sleep if you want it to go in almost ready state (still taking a bit of power but next to nothing)

hibernate if you want it to be "saved" to where you were before but technically off

shut it down off if you want it off.

also, if you never move your laptop and have a battery backup, you could take out your battery so its not constantly plugged in.. most laptops have protection about that but some don't and you could always plug the battery quickly if the power dies and your UPS too. of course not an option if you go all over the place.

with an SSD in there, I would likely properly shut it down if not using, or even hibernate (cause my crap Laptop takes like 5-6 minutes to get ready once logged on)

Cleaning the fan and airvents in the casing fixed a similar issue with my laptop,  It's on 24/7 with the battery in and plugged into the mains 24/7.  I expect to have to replace the battery after about ten years :)

You mention using an SSD, but you also mention the time it takes to wake up from sleep or hibernate.  If speed is an issue, be aware that everything you put on the SSD will probably run noticeably slower. 

Maybe do the cleaning first since that's free and might sort you out :)

You mention using an SSD, but you also mention the time it takes to wake up from sleep or hibernate.  If speed is an issue, be aware that everything you put on the SSD will probably run noticeably slower. 

Really?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Really?

Basically - if it's an SSD that you can unmount and physically remove,  it will run at the USB socket speed, which is always slower than the hard-wired drives.

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

Basically - if it's an SSD that you can unmount and physically remove,  it will run at the USB socket speed, which is always slower than the hard-wired drives.

Never had a laptop where the HDD couldn't be removed, and therefore replaced by an SSD.

28 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Never had a laptop where the HDD couldn't be removed, and therefore replaced by an SSD.

You're referring to the Main hard drive -- be it whirly or spolid.  I am referring to the mini or micro SSD's (Solid State Drive) that slot in when you request to unmount/mount them. 

You're referring to the Main hard drive -- be it whirly or spolid.  I am referring to the mini or micro SSD's (Solid State Drive) that slot in when you request to unmount/mount them. 

A flash drive you mean.