Machines coming to take millions of Thai jobs: report

webfact

Machines coming to take millions of Thai jobs: report

By  Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

jobless-696x568.jpg

Original image: A farmer irrigates his rice fields in a 2013 photo. Photo: Chris Graham / Flickr

BANGKOK — Millions of Thais are at risk of losing their jobs in the coming years – and it’s not “illegal immigrants” or “outsourcing” to blame. Yes, the robots are coming to steal jobs.

Thanks to rapid improvements in automation and artificial intelligence, up to 9.2 million Thais are at high risk of being replaced by machines, while millions of other jobs are on the line in the next two decades, said a U.N. report published Tuesday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/05/31/machines-coming-take-millions-thai-jobs-report/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-05-31

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Unfortunately (for the Thai), the Thai authorities will ignore this and move on as usual, leaving the average Thai to suffer. 

As in many other countries too , I'm afraid. The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. Capitalism at it's best (worst).

Edited by Wiggy

Scary really. As time goes on machines will take over so many jobs. The real big problem then will be how to distribute the money. How are you supposed to earn money when there are literally no jobs available for you to do?

"middle-tier management jobs could be replaced by artificial intelligence"

Hilarious.

Well, there's no stopping this kind of thing. They keep polishing the world but they don't realise that it's the tribulations that give life meaning. One day, we'll miss going into a restaurant and getting the wrong thing, almost cold, and fifteen minutes after our companion's order, because that's what used to make us yooman.

Glad I won't be around.

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Scary really. As time goes on machines will take over so many jobs. The real big problem then will be how to distribute the money. How are you supposed to earn money when there are literally no jobs available for you to do?

I recall reading about some social experiments being done, anticipating this problem. They gave about 2,000 people "free money" every month to effectively do nothing. Interestingly, most of them pursued higher education, became more physically active and were much more likely to be an active member of the community.

I suspect it is a little late for me to see it rolled out globally though.

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Well i am sure some people will stone me over this but it is called 'basic income' and some countries have been playing around with this idea for years.

I was one of the people who used to say'if you want to work you can find a job!!!!!Times are changing.Soon there will be no jobs.

I am not going to explain the concept,google is your friend.

An unfortunate reality which we are all the cause of via our demand for lowest possible prices (ie: iPhones, branded jeans, motorcycles, cars, etc, etc) and highest stock market returns. Hopefully a non-populous Govt will eventually take hold here and offer re-training into skilled jobs, solar, alternative energy to name but a few. Of course the other option is to promise xxx amount of baht per village (which the kanman will mostly pocket and  be indebted to get out your vote;) or offer 'un-real' rice schemes to line one's own pockets. Or, like in the States and the UK, just promise  that manufacturing jobs and coal will return and continue to isolate.

Edited by sujoop

43 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Unfortunately (for the Thai), the Thai authorities will ignore this and move on as usual, leaving the average Thai to suffer. 

Did you skip math classes in your younger age? 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

No jobs -> no income -> no business -> no need for robots.

31 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

but then you read reports that Thailand needs about 2 million more workers? Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter still needs to do more research.

yeah with the aging problem in thailand and the oncoming lack of young kittens, how are they going to keep all those baht coming in every month.

Thanks to rapid improvements in automation and artificial intelligence, up to 9.2 million Thais are at high risk of being replaced by machines, 

That's because the level of AI required is shockingly low :)

5 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

No jobs -> no income -> no business -> no need for robots.

That's what I was thinking. What are they going to manufacture if nobody has any money to buy anything? 

Robots?

Most of the jobs will be displaced by tractors, backhoes.vacuum cleaners and the like as the price of labor increases to the point where the amortized cost of a machine gets to be cheaper than hiring people.

The good news is that productivity per capita will increase.  The bad news is that the 1% will keep all the benefits, perhaps even more than 100% of them.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

That's what I was thinking. What are they going to manufacture if nobody has any money to buy anything? 

Lots of stuff.  It just won't be Thai's buying them.  They'll be for export.  Thai people will just have to pound sand.

Check out The Luddite fallacy. It is the simple observation that new technology does not lead to higher overall unemployment in the economy. New technology doesn’t destroy jobs – it only changes the composition of jobs in the economy. It's been kicking around for quite a few years now.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6717/economics/the-luddite-fallacy/

"Thanks to rapid improvements in automation and artificial intelligence, up to 9.2 million Thais are at high risk of being replaced by machines..."

An example of artificial intelligence replacing real ignorance.

Edited by jaltsc