British rights activist sues Thai authorities

webfact

British rights activist sues Thai authorities

REUTERS

r14.jpg

British rights activist Andy Hall leaves the Bangkok South Criminal Court after hearing the court verdict on charges of defamation and computer crimes over a report on alleged ill-treatment of migrants, in Bangkok, Thailand September 20, 2016. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A British rights activist filed lawsuits on Wednesday against Thai authorities and a major Thai fruit producer, accusing them of unlawful prosecution over a 2014 criminal defamation case against him which had been thrown out of court.

Rights activist Andy Hall has been involved in high-profile legal battles since the publication in 2013 of a report he researched for Finnish group Finnwatch on the treatment of migrant workers by Natural Fruit Company, Thailand's biggest producer of tinned pineapples.

Last year, he was found guilty of criminal defamation over the report and given a suspended three-year jail term in a case that alarmed rights groups who feared that it could set a precedent for the use of similar charges against others.

Hall's lawsuits relate to a separate criminal defamation case over comments he gave to Al-Jazeera television. That case was thrown out by the supreme court last year on the grounds that he was in Myanmar when he gave the interview.

In Hall's lawsuits, he accuses Natural Fruit, nine state prosecutors, and a senior police officer of wrongful and malicious exercise of their duty. He also accuses Natural Fruit of giving false information to authorities.

"I must defend myself against an unlawful prosecution and judicial harassment," Hall said in a statement from Brussels. He left Thailand last year.

Natural Fruit's lawyer, Somsak Torugsa, who was also accused along with the firm, told Reuters he was not worried.

"We're all innocent. I'll fight it and I'll file a counter suit," Somsak said, without giving more details.

Somnuek Siangkong, a spokesman for the Office of the Attorney General, told Reuters he could not comment as he has not seen a copy of the lawsuit.

The senior police officer said he had no comment.

Hall also faced civil defamation cases over both the report and the television interview.

Thailand, one of the world's key food exporters, employs an estimated 3 million migrant workers, mostly from neighbouring Myanmar.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Matthew Tostevin and Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-31

That's the only bright spark in the otherwise abysmal defamation and CCA crimes, is that if you win the first case, you can counter sue with a good chance of winning. And good luck to him with that!

Edited by darksidedog

In Thailand a defamation suit is NOT based on the truth or falseness  of  the  statement, it is only based on whether the statement does damage to the person it applies to.

Hence, if you make a slanderous statement about a public figure or corporation in Thailand that is actually correct, you still can be sued for defamation.

Natural Fruit's lawyer, Somsak Torugsa, who was also accused along with the firm, told Reuters he was not worried. "We're all innocent. I'll fight it and I'll file a counter suit," Somsak said, without giving more details.

555 we can't lose face, we'll have to counter.

Well done Andy Hall

17 hours ago, webfact said:

nine state prosecutors, and a senior police officer of wrongful and malicious exercise of their duty.

I wish you every success in this venture, Andy.  Next mount your charger and tilt at some windmills.

I wish Andy Hall the very best of luck.

I have also been through the defamation charge scenario (for speaking the truth I might add) and remain "on the run". 

Yes it is true that "if you make a slanderous statement about a public figure or corporation in Thailand that is actually correct, you still can be sued for defamation", though the law does state that if what you say can be shown to be true then there is no case to answer. However, that still means having to work through the corrupt processes of the police force, the legal profession and the judiciary....

11 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

*gets the ice*

17 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

*gets the sodas* 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

*gets popcorn*

*gets the years of chasing his tail*

22 hours ago, webfact said:

'Natural Fruit's lawyer, Somsak Torugsa, who was also accused along with the firm, told Reuters ... "We're all innocent ...'

And he believes that? Or he's uttering the lawyer's default defence?

Edited by Jonmarleesco

3 hours ago, Barbara said:

I have also been through the defamation charge scenario (for speaking the truth I might add) and remain "on the run". 

Yes it is true that "if you make a slanderous statement about a public figure or corporation in Thailand that is actually correct, you still can be sued for defamation", though the law does state that if what you say can be shown to be true then there is no case to answer. However, that still means having to work through the corrupt processes of the police force, the legal profession and the judiciary....

' "if you make a slanderous statement about a public figure or corporation in Thailand that is actually correct ...' A slanderous statement isn't true (correct). Thailand's wonderful system is also aimed at non-slanderous (true) statements.

Buddhism "Thou shalt not lie." Andy Hall should pursue it every bit of the way. Truth does matter. Not those with the gutlessness to accept everything in Thailand as right and hide in the background. To see Andy Hall succeed would be the start of getting fairer treatment and a hope of unfair laws being changed. It does no harm to stand up and be counted. Accepting injustice is what does harm to all of us.

Best of luck Andy...

But me think you already know how corrupt Thailand's judicial system is, you will never win, but hopefully you will bring it to the attention of the rest of the world how corrupt the Thai Justice is.

scales-of-justice.jpg.fb0e0719a855ef74955567388bdbe558.jpg

On 01/06/2017 at 3:44 AM, Barbara said:

You are so so right Barbara

It is time that someone picks up the manta and starts to highlight this corrupt law and way of life, I met a few corrupt BIB, BKS Attorneys and a lawyer who thought he could get away wilth selling my docs to the other side. At this time they have, but the clock is ticking and one morning very soon they will see themselves s as they are on there own dedicated channel that screens to the world.

CCA may work within the border but outside has no power what so ever.

You said "on the run", I ask from what not a corrupt law like the CCA, you cannot be worried about that can you? hope you out if not PM me and keep well