Farewell Pattaya

thaibeachlovers

53 minutes ago, dave2 said:

here ya go 

27 march 17 :)

dave2

ps .. chiang mai bars are just as dead as they were a month ago :(

pattaya walking street  night clown on stilts 27 mar 17 20170327_211522.jpg

808 - ah, the good memories :) Is 808 still pumping like it was towards the end of last year? Or has the crowd moved on to Lucifer now that it's back open?

I recall many years on this forum espousing the virtues of life in Chiang Mai, only to be ridiculed by the Pattaya set. Too quiet and too boring they said, no bars they cried, few girls they yelled, I'd never visit there let alone live there they screamed....now, many years later Chiang Mai has grown up and has much to offer, many many of the old naysayers are now firmly in residence here, far too funny.

• Like 2

I can be happy anywhere as long as there's regular girls that are interested in meeting me. Not bar girls.

I've been to CM a few times and the student body did not seem to look in my direction. I felt maybe it's a faux pas to go with farangs up there?

6 hours ago, stravers said:

I can be happy anywhere as long as there's regular girls that are interested in meeting me. Not bar girls.

I've been to CM a few times and the student body did not seem to look in my direction. I felt maybe it's a faux pas to go with farangs up there?

students are still young with enough prospects not to need a foreign boyfriend.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

In life the grass is never greener!  Like grass it takes work to keep it green so one got to find the middle and make the best of it.  There is no one perfect person or place on the face of this earth?

I suspect the motivation has something to do w/ the ex for whom he's bought property in the past. Coming back with tail between legs perhaps. Well, Pattaya's loss is Chiang Mai's gain, eh :biggrin:. May mean less whinging on this forum anyway.

• Like 1

Your observations and report were excellent.

We all need a reset from time to tim; especially for the new arrivals.

When the negative thoughts overpower the positive thoughts about any country, go back to your home country and chances are you will want to leave within a week; especially if you are a senior, if not sooner, and when you get back you will appreciate what you left a lot more.

Edited by Kabula
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, balo said:

Stayed 6 months in CM and life were prety dull up there, but enjoyed the short winter season. You will miss Pattaya soon enough.

i have visited Pattaya twice, and both tines when i left i was happy that i was leaving and have not missed it at all

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sinbin said:

The younger ones I'd say have gone for the better money in the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan.

If things go to plan the Baht buses will be phased out once the tram system is up and running.

As Bob Dylan once said, 'Times they are a changing.'

Dont hold your breath on the tram....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I recall many years on this forum espousing the virtues of life in Chiang Mai, only to be ridiculed by the Pattaya set. Too quiet and too boring they said, no bars they cried, few girls they yelled, I'd never visit there let alone live there they screamed....now, many years later Chiang Mai has grown up and has much to offer, many many of the old naysayers are now firmly in residence here, far too funny.

It's not the lack of girls they are really complaining about - it's the lack of easily available hookers, as these guys need to pay as they go.

Girls can be found in any city and village all over Thailand (and the rest of the world). Question is only if they want to socialize with an old, overweight sex tourist. Most don't.

CM is a very nice place and has a lot to offer to those that don't expect to get 'sexy man' at every corner from massage hookers to boost their artificially inflated confidence

Edited by ThailandLOS
  • Like 1

For me it was the lack of good western food. I am not a Thai food lover much so in CM you have very few options compared to Pattaya . Sure you can find French and Italian restaurants but they are overpriced because there's literally no competition .

Then add the night life which is very dull up there   

But I loved the mountains  and the cooler climate .  Still not enough to make me want to live there for good. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I managed three nights in Chiang Mai. Never again. Made me realise just how lucky I am to live in Pattaya. Ten years now.

• Like 2

CM is a nice town. You could write negative stuff regarding it just as you can about Pattaya. Terrible traffic, public transport mafia, super hot season, terrible burning season.

I think it may be a bit like Pattaya in that the better areas to live are outside town?

I'd miss the sea too much to move there.

• Like 2

"While physically the city is changing- lots of new buildings, mentally it hasn't changed for years and years."

This pretty much tells the story of Pattaya!

The only thing I might add is that Pattaya has "Progress".

I know this because now Every Bar Girl has a new Motorbike and a new iPhone, when in years past she had neither.

• Like 1

Nice report from the OP!

Glitterman is gone "for years". 2012?

There are misc. rumors about him, like being a member of a very rich family.

The flower man in the wheelchair also has upgraded to electrical since maybe two years?

Even more massage places? Is it possible?

I don't stay a month per visit, just 8 days or so :smile:

• Like 1

Steer clear of Zoe's in CM. The bouncers there have a reputation for unprovoked attacks.

Spotlight ago-go has some very nice looking women doing pole dancing. What you see is what you get.

Loi Kroh has some bars, but nothing on the scale of Pattaya.

• Like 2

>> Good luck- you are really going to need it.<<

You will also need some luck coming back up here in the North lol .Was it Lampoon or Lampang you lived before ?

Traffic in Chiang Mai is now very congested .Unless you live in the old City or have a Scooter getting around is going to be difficult .C.M. is lacking in a decent transport system .The Baht busses /Songthaews are few and far between and will cost you twice the Pattaya rate . Old bar ladies ? Plenty of them up here also but confined to just one street.Massage / huge numbers of them up here in the Center of town .Chinese ? Don't you know Chiang Mai has become a mecca for Chinese .Hawkers ? very few up here is one good point .Also cheaper long term accommodation ,and more genuine people ,both Thai and the few Western left  .Pappa ? Its an age thing .When i lived in Jomtien /Pattaya 8 years ago ,i was first called Handsome man ,but suddenly when i reached 55 years of age it turned to Pappa .THE SAME SAME  up here in C.M. Anyway good luck in your move .Its still a good place if you dont need a wild night life .

• Like 1