Farewell Pattaya

thaibeachlovers

52 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Good to hear that CM remains as unpopular as ever for the Pattaya-set. As a resident of CM this is music to the ears. May this city remain 'boring' and 'dead' for a long time to come...

Yes it does keep out a lot of undesirables ,who must constantly pay for two pops daily .

On ‎06‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 4:22 PM, yardrunner said:

If Pattaya is the best city in Thailand all i can say is god help Thailand, in my opinion it is a very down market version of Blackpool in the UK and no i am not a big fan of Blackpool either

While I love Pattaya for the usual reasons, it's not to say that it's perfect- far from.

I liked Blackpool for it's old architecture, trams and the amusement park- beach is c*** unless one like sand and being wet and cold ( or is it stones; can't remember? )

If Blackpool was transported to be Pattaya with all the things I like about Pattaya; that would be perfection.

9 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Good to hear that CM remains as unpopular as ever for the Pattaya-set. As a resident of CM this is music to the ears. May this city remain 'boring' and 'dead' for a long time to come...

I'm sure it will be. Just as well there is cable tv and the internet or I'd be round the twist by now.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sure it will be. Just as well there is cable tv and the internet or I'd be round the twist by now.

Go out and talk to people then .They are a friendly lot .Discuss World politics the UK elections and THE CURRENT PRICE OF RICE .LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I love Pattaya for the usual reasons, it's not to say that it's perfect- far from.

I liked Blackpool for it's old architecture, trams and the amusement park- beach is c*** unless one like sand and being wet and cold ( or is it stones; can't remember? )

If Blackpool was transported to be Pattaya with all the things I like about Pattaya; that would be perfection.

well each to his own, on this i think we should agree to disagree

12 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

why? dont really get why people dont explain themselves. makes for short discussions.

Students sometimes rent themselves so they can buy the latest electronic toys and clothes. I read that it happened a lot in Siam Square some years ago. Only to rich businessmen though.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Students sometimes rent themselves so they can buy the latest electronic toys and clothes. Happened a lot in Siam Square some years ago. Only to rich businessmen though.

yea it is more the single mums who have to lower their standards to getting foreign boyfriends.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CM is dread. Bars are forced to shut by 11..Army and police occupy the city. The people are fed up and resentful. The traffic and pollution is as bad as Pattaya. The place is infested with veggie type hipsters, top knotters and gay expats. It's a joyless  sh#t hole.Oops. I repeated my self...sorry.

Edited by The manic
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2017 at 1:24 AM, balo said:

Scandinavian, German , British, Italian and French cuisine  can be found all over Pattaya/Jomtien/Naklua. Not in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  That's the advantage of living in a tourist area with a good mix of people. 

Couldn't disagree more. Quality western food is abundant in BKK and CM. Wine connection, for entry level stuff, hasn't opened in Pattaya yet. They have 3 locations in CM and about 20 or 30 in BKK.

Now, of course, Pizza hut and McDonalds have a slot between cheap sex.

Edited by KiChakayan

On 5/31/2017 at 7:27 PM, sinbin said:

The younger ones I'd say have gone for the better money in the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan.

If things go to plan the Baht buses will be phased out once the tram system is up and running.

As Bob Dylan once said, 'Times they are a changing.'

The prettier girls are using the internet dating sites now as well so that has thinned out the talent level at the bars. So, the remaining girls who were lower on the ladder, looks wise, have been bumped up a notch so of course with less competition their attitudes have gotten piss poor as the better looking girls are sitting at home or at the malls checking their emails for prospective customers and now th lesser looking girls have become the queens of the bars.

I find that the attitudes of Thai women in general have gotten worse. Go to a store and service sucks worse than ever. Thai women used to be known for being kind, a bit reserved, and generally pleasant to be around. There are still some like that but it's just not as prevalent as when I first moved here 16+ years ago. I think the explosion of tourists kissing their asses for so many years bloated their egos. That....and dealing with tourists on their worse behavior turned some sour on foreigners. 

With the internet, they see first world countries and the materialism that comes with it and many want some of that too. Materialism was always part of this culture, but now it's more prominent and widespread outside of the bar scene too.

These are just observations of trends, I know there are exceptions to these generalities. I'd like to think my wife is or I wouldn't have married her. LOL Why bring a sandwich to a buffet, right? Unless it's one hell of a sandwich! LOL

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 8:15 AM, KiChakayan said:

Couldn't disagree more. Quality western food is abundant in BKK and CM. Wine connection, for entry level stuff, hasn't opened in Pattaya yet. They have 3 locations in CM and about 20 or 30 in BKK.

Now, of course, Pizza hut and McDonalds have a slot between cheap sex.

BKK is better for food than Pattaya which is Excellent.  but CM is below average in range and quality of restaurants. To think otherwise is delusional. 

I'm surprised to see this zombie thread of mine still carrying on. C M is still as boring and night life devoid as when I wrote my last post on it. It did get a bit busier over high season, but that's dying down now, except for the Chinese tour groups in their huge buses.

The big problem at the moment of course the toxic air, though it was slightly better the last couple of days. I could actually see blue sky again.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, JSixpack said:

I suspect the motivation has something to do w/ the ex for whom he's bought property in the past. Coming back with tail between legs perhaps. Well, Pattaya's loss is Chiang Mai's gain, eh :biggrin:. May mean less whinging on this forum anyway.

Months on and happy to say still "whinging" on the Pattaya forum.

Lived in cm 5 years, moved, too quiet

lived in bangers a year or so, too hot and hectic

tried cambodia, Vietnam, ok but never really took (locals got on my nerves)

tried patts several months before returning home, ok but hard to get any work done partying all night and spending more then I was used to...

thinking of returning to thailand soon. Any suggestions on places to live long term +6 months

I realize a lot of this is carrying myself with me, but I ain't gonna figure that out at my age 

serious post

Edited by Dick Crank

BKK is better for food than Pattaya which is Excellent. but CM is below average in range and quality of restaurants. To think otherwise is delusional.

I had plenty of good meals when I was there. Not as much choice as in Bangkok, of course, but not bad at all.

If it wasnt for the terrible air pollution I would probably move to CM as I dont like bars and I much prefer a place that closes at midnight. It's a shame it's quite hard to find a condo building there that has a nice view and is in a convenient location.

6 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

tried patts several months before returning home, ok but hard to get any work done partying all night and spending more then I was used to...

thinking of returning to thailand soon. Any suggestions on places to live long term +6 months

I realize a lot of this is carrying myself with me, but I ain't gonna figure that out at my age 

serious post

Hua Hin?

On 5/31/2017 at 7:27 PM, sinbin said:

The younger ones I'd say have gone for the better money in the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan.

If things go to plan the Baht buses will be phased out once the tram system is up and running.

As Bob Dylan once said, 'Times they are a changing.'

I heard the tram system is only months away from inauguration.

6 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

serious post

Try Khon Kaen..

NOT SERIOUS.    :smile: