Moving South to the Sea

The Dark Lord

Dear TVF friends, the current Mrs Dark Lord and the Dark Lord himself are bowled over by the flood of genuine advice, help and opinion garnered so far from you lovely people. 

We we are both very much indeed appreciative of the time and effort you have selflessly given to us  in responding so comprehensively and positively. 

I honestly did not expect such kindness and am somewhat humbled by it. 

As we chrystallise our plans and start to move closer to a visit to each of your suggested locations, I will contact you to try and arrange a meet up to explore in perhaps a little more depth each of your suggestions in exchange for some refreshment as fair barter . If you wish to remain anonymous no problem no offence taken at all, if you are agreeable to meet up with the Dark one and his consort, again we would be delighted to do so. 

Meanwhile once more our most most sincere gratitude for your help so far. 

All the best

Mr and Mrs Dark Lord.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered Koh Samui?  Nearly everywhere is within a reasonable distance to the beach.  A couple or three Touristy Areas where one can go people watching.  Have Big C, Macro, Tesco Lotus and two Cinemas that frequently have English Language Films.  Plenty of scope to either be "in the midst" of it or within "spitting distance" with lots of nice and not too expensive restaurant and (non-girlie) bars, although there are some of those in Chaweng and Lamai if the fancy takes you. There are also a few clubs one can join such as Rotary, Bridge, Pool League and a few others which memory fails me at the moment.  The locals here are by and large very nice and the whole Island has an unintimidating atmospher.  Please pm me if you would like further information.

OP before we settled we also had a good look.

Lets go through the options and my personal views on them.

Patts was just too busy for us with too many foreigners you feel as if (at that stage) you were in Russia rather than Thailand. I believe its now more like China. Jontiem is better but you still need to go to Patts for most shopping.

East coast - Rayong/Trat/Koh Chang is great but you are missing one thing, proper health care. You must go to Patts for a good hospital.

Phuket you are very far away from the Isaan family which can be positive but if you have good relationship with them it is a heck of a way to travel for visits. My comments regarding Patts also holds true for Phuket.

Trang is an option but again limited healthcare.

Krabi could be a good option and is has international hospital, but I don't know how good it is. Just the distance to Isaan maybe a problem.

Samui is beautiful but expensive. As soon as you stay on an island everything costs more. For me an island becomes to small too soon.

Surat and Chumphon area is more affordable but we shot it down due to floods/too many rainy days per year.

That leaves us with the Prachuap and Phetchaburi areas. It comes down to Cha-am, HH and Prachuap town. I have lived many years in HH but my vote goes to Prachuap town. Although there is no Bangkok hospital the government hospital is good. It is affordable, it is developing but not too fast and Ao Manoa beach is one of the best beaches in Thailand. One of my greatest grippes against HH and Cha-am is that property prices are too high. If you however need more action and shopping and decide on HH look at the area to the north of HH and south of Cha-am. The area between Soi 88 and 112 is now the hype among foreigners in HH. But this area is flood prone and have bad traffic problems when the Thai's invade town.

My advice is always pack your bags and travel too all the places. When you find an area you like stay a while and see if you really like it. When you find your paradise rent a place for a few months. If after the few months you still in love with the place settle down, if not move on. Good luck.

54 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Patts was just too busy for us with too many foreigners you feel as if (at that stage) you were in Russia rather than Thailand. I believe its now more like China. Jontiem is better but you still need to go to Patts for most shopping.

East coast - Rayong/Trat/Koh Chang is great but you are missing one thing, proper health care. You must go to Patts for a good hospital.

Phuket you are very far away from the Isaan family which can be positive but if you have good relationship with them it is a heck of a way to travel for visits. My comments regarding Patts also holds true for Phuket.

Krabi could be a good option and is has international hospital, but I don't know how good it is. Just the distance to Isaan maybe a problem.

Samui is beautiful but expensive. As soon as you stay on an island everything costs more. For me an island becomes to small too soon.

Surat and Chumphon area is more affordable but we shot it down due to floods/too many rainy days per year.

That leaves us with the Prachuap and Phetchaburi areas. It comes down to Cha-am, HH and Prachuap town. I have lived many years in HH but my vote goes to Prachuap town. Although there is no Bangkok hospital the government hospital is good. It is affordable, it is developing but not too fast and Ao Manoa beach is one of the best beaches in Thailand. One of my greatest grippes against HH and Cha-am is that property prices are too high. If you however need more action and shopping and decide on HH look at the area to the north of HH and south of Cha-am. The area between Soi 88 and 112 is now the hype among foreigners in HH. But this area is flood prone and have bad traffic problems when the Thai's invade town.

My advice is always pack your bags and travel too all the places. When you find an area you like stay a while and see if you really like it. When you find your paradise rent a place for a few months. If after the few months you still in love with the place settle down, if not move on. Good luck.

Health care seems to be a BIG area that is forgotten about Rayong  .....Bangkok Hospital is here! Within minutes of Noen Phra, Rayong. There is also the government hospital (which they just expanded)  in the middle of town. Since the hospital (either Bangkok or the Government ) is a last resort each local area has its own  "clinic" which is inexpensive...

Don't know where you get your information .....BUT it's incorrect. At least Rayong has a Bangkok Hospital which I presume Prachuap does NOT (only going by what you said). Rayong may be a small town with not many falangs (unlike Pattaya and Hua Hin) BUT we do HAVE an international Hospital which is EASILY accessible because Rayong does NOT have the traffic problems that Pattaya and Hua Hin have.

PS.....Trat and Chantaburi have a Bangkok Hospital also

Edited by beachproperty

26 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Health care seems to be a BIG area that is forgotten about Rayong  .....Bangkok Hospital is here! Within minutes of Noen Phra, Rayong. There is also the government hospital (which they just expanded)  in the middle of town. Since the hospital (either Bangkok or the Government ) is a last resort each local area has its own  "clinic" which is inexpensive...

Don't know where you get your information .....BUT it's incorrect. At least Rayong has a Bangkok Hospital which I presume Prachuap does NOT (only going by what you said). Rayong may be a small town with not many falangs (unlike Pattaya and Hua Hin) BUT we do HAVE an international Hospital which is EASILY accessible because Rayong does NOT have the traffic problems that Pattaya and Hua Hin have.

Queen Sirikit, gov't hospital (military), isn't terribly far from Rayong. It's quite good.

14 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Queen Sirikit, gov't hospital (military), isn't terribly far from Rayong. It's quite good.

Queen Sirikit naval hospital is in Sattahip.....probably closer to Pattaya than Rayong .....but a good hospital for non-emergency treatment if you're from Rayong city

Edited by beachproperty

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

With regard to Krabi airport, we found it small but excellent service from Krabi to admittedly Bangkok (not anywhere in Issan).

We were all given a buffet (sandwiches, cake etc) and drinks (with lovely Coffee ) gratis, before the flight and a meal on it, it was only an hour or so journey.

This must have been three years ago but the flight cost for both of us was very cheap.

Lots of great info. I'm out of country for a few weeks,  but when back, will be more than happy to drive you around the area south of Pattaya. A bit like you in that I've no interest in the girly bars, nor areas with heavy traffic. That rules out Naklua to Jomtien and Cha Am to Hua Hin.

I do like to be near a bigger city for the shopping and entertainment available. Health care also. So far, am pretty happy in NaJomtien. The area from there to Bang  Saray is quite nice. Beaches are just ok. Clean water is an issue. Traffic is quite bad on holiday weekends. Heck, most weekends. But we just try to avoid travel then.

We're 10 minutes to Makro, Tesco, Big C, and plenty of hardware stores. There are some great restaurants right on the beach nearby. Plus, a thriving music scene if you are into that. And Pattaya is nearby for whatever interests you! LOL

5 hours ago, lou62 said:

With regard to Krabi airport, we found it small but excellent service from Krabi to admittedly Bangkok (not anywhere in Issan).

We were all given a buffet (sandwiches, cake etc) and drinks (with lovely Coffee ) gratis, before the flight and a meal on it, it was only an hour or so journey.

This must have been three years ago but the flight cost for both of us was very cheap.

If you travel there with AirAsia there is an option to go by their van from the airport to your Koh Lanta hotel.

12 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Dear TVF friends, the current Mrs Dark Lord and the Dark Lord himself are bowled over by the flood of genuine advice, help and opinion garnered so far from you lovely people. 

We we are both very much indeed appreciative of the time and effort you have selflessly given to us  in responding so comprehensively and positively. 

I honestly did not expect such kindness and am somewhat humbled by it. 

As we chrystallise our plans and start to move closer to a visit to each of your suggested locations, I will contact you to try and arrange a meet up to explore in perhaps a little more depth each of your suggestions in exchange for some refreshment as fair barter . If you wish to remain anonymous no problem no offence taken at all, if you are agreeable to meet up with the Dark one and his consort, again we would be delighted to do so. 

Meanwhile once more our most most sincere gratitude for your help so far. 

All the best

Mr and Mrs Dark Lord.

TV at it's best. Good luck to you as you come across as a real gentleman. 

Nothing wrong with Pattaya. You just gotta find the right place. Been here 33 years and am <10 scooter minutes from Walking Street (not that i go there), Jomtien Beach, Tesco, Macro, Big C in a quiet cul-de-sac. No traffic, no noise unless birds twittering in the trees disturbs you.

I notice that a lot of people say outside of Pattaya and then say how close it is. Why not just be there!

Yes nice to have a tread without especially Pattaya being slammed.

We are also based in Naklua and likes it very much, our village is quiet and yet very close to down-town.

My garden is just enough that I can go hunting for insects to macro photographing, squirrels nesting up in one of the tress, snakes sometimes, yes wildlife quite impressive in our garden but so far; no tigers or elephants, he-he. 

The restaurant scene here is truly awesome, you can have everything here, from top steak restaurants to modest Thai ones and all in between.

At late as yesterday evening we went to a small Thai restaurant on Naklua road, the bill for the 3 of us was 320 baht and the food was very good.  

Its good to see a thread that doesn't paint Pattaya as Sodom and Gomorrah. Good to see a few Pattaya residents sharing the great lives we lead here, a million miles away from the bar scene. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its good to see a thread that doesn't paint Pattaya as Sodom and Gomorrah. Good to see a few Pattaya residents sharing the great lives we lead here, a million miles away from the bar scene. 

Yes, there's much to enjoy in Pattaya besides the bar scene, though long live the bar scene--which, BTW, couples can enjoy too. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Edited by JSixpack

23 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Yes, there's much to enjoy in Pattaya besides the bar scene, though long live the bar scene--which, BTW, couples can enjoy too. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Yes I agree, we often go out as a big group, couples, singles etc and have a great time at local Jomtien bars. Some great live music etc.

There is a great bar/live music scene, nothing to do with walking st etc.

I can also vote for Naklua, everything is within walking distance or a 5 minute bike ride. Jomtien was nice but too much traffic to get into the city.

4 hours ago, balo said:

I can also vote for Naklua, everything is within walking distance or a 5 minute bike ride. Jomtien was nice but too much traffic to get into the city.

I'm certainly not looking for an argument, though if you're referring to Pattaya, I did it today in a Baht Bus (car is in the body shop).

It must have taken 20-25 minutes (didn't time it lol) to have arrived in central pattaya from Soi WatBoon.

No hold ups, had it have been a Sunday or Public Holiday then I'd have agreed.

Edited by lou62

1 hour ago, lou62 said:

I'm certainly not looking for an argument, though if you're referring to Pattaya, I did it today in a Baht Bus (car is in the body shop).

It must have taken 20-25 minutes (didn't time it lol) to have arrived in central pattaya from Soi WatBoon.

No hold ups, had it have been a Sunday or Public Holiday then I'd have agreed.

What you lose in a bit more traffic is more than gained with a 6km beach in the Jomtien Beach/Naklea debate.

1 minute ago, pegman said:

What you lose in a bit more traffic is more than gained with a 6km beach in the Jomtien Beach/Naklea debate.

Yes , I'm amazed each time at the amount of restaurants I see on my trips to Pattaya, I wouldn't swap it though, for my life in Jomtien.

I'm sure this post will go down well.

2 hours ago, lou62 said:

It must have taken 20-25 minutes (

Sure, and maybe 40 minutes during rush hours/weekends . 

Compare that with 5 minutes and we have Wongamat beach 5 minutes away and all the restaurants on Naklua road within walking distance , and a bike trip to Central is 5 minutes away .  

Just to compare, that's all. But Jomtien is nice , just the lack of malls etc. 

28 minutes ago, balo said:

Compare that with 5 minutes and we have Wongamat beach 5 minutes away and all the restaurants on Naklua road within walking distance , and a bike trip to Central is 5 minutes away .  

Come down to NaJomtien. Less than 3 minutes to a beach that stretches for miles. A lot is undeveloped,  as you know. Trying to get into and out of Naklua can be tough. Too developed for me.

1 hour ago, balo said:

The lack of malls is the most redeeming factor for some of us.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Come down to NaJomtien. Less than 3 minutes to a beach that stretches for miles. A lot is undeveloped,  as you know

I have lived in NaJomtien 1 year and I have lived in Jomtien soi watboon and soi chaiyapruek for 2 years  . Transportation was always a problem , I sold my car,  I got tired of the baht bus . If you want to go shopping , there's always Foodmart but not much to cheer about is it? 

Naklua is perfect , I am surprised I didn't look at this location earlier. Wongamat beach is cleaner and fewer people around than Pattaya beach.

No complaints so far. 

13 hours ago, balo said:

I like Naklua/Wongamat, too, but if you are down at the beach (the desirable area, in my opinion) in the condo area where Baan Plai Haad, The Palm, Riviera, etc. are I'm not sure 'everything is within walking distance or a 5 minute bike ride'.  We looked at Baan Plai Haad and The Palm and one of the drawbacks for us was there was not much within a short walk--just a Family Mart and a few other little shops--and no baht buses.  (For us it's either walking, the car, or baht bus.)  But, taking the car, things like Central Festival, Central Marina, hospitals, many restaurants, the future Terminal 21, etc.  are just a short drive away.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I like Naklua/Wongamat, too, but if you are down at the beach

No I'm closer to Naklua rd, so for me it's 5 minutes to Wongamat and 2 minutes to Naklua rd, (Boncafe area)   which makes it easy to travel with the baht bus or just take a bike down to the city centre.