A year after Bill Gates' holiday snaps those cables are still hanging!

webfact

A year after Bill Gates' holiday snaps those cables are still hanging!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Thai Rath went to investigate what had happened in the year since Bill Gates embarrassed the country with his observations about Thailand's infamous hanging wires.

And they found not much has changed. They quoted an electrical official as saying "it's not pretty but it's cheap".

The news media reported that in June last year Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha had been spurred into action by the Microsoft founder  who posted pictures on Facebook after his travels to the kingdom.

Prayut ordered the speeding up of projects to bury the cables and restore a semblance of order and beauty to the streets.

But when Thai rath went to the Pracha Uthit area of Huay Kwang and surrounding areas of Suthisan yesterday they saw the same old problems.

Nothing but a tangle of cables in lines and circles above the heads of pedestrians.

They asked a senior communications executive at the electrical authority about the situation.

Charn Patthamawipak said that some work had been done but much remains. He said that and high voltage cables are only very high up and on the lower reaches are cables that represent no danger to the public.

He said the situation had got like it is today due to cost cutting. If all the cables were not lumped together costs would be higher and there would be a need for many more posts to hold them up.

He said it is not pretty but not dangerous.

Low hanging cables are likely to be optic fiber for internet connections, phone cables, cable TV, wires for the controlling of the traffic and CCTV cables.

High power electricity wires carrying 22,000 volts were only very high up, he said. He conceded that some cables carrying up to 400 volts could be as low as eight meters.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-02

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What BG was originally saying is that people were stealing electricity and the authorities need to stop it, which of course was a metaphor for people using pirated copies of Windows here. 

Urge low gaming wires are playground for squirrels and potential exit points for Tabasco users.... it's the ones through the bridge stairs that he calls not dangerous... because he and his colleagues never walk on the foot bridge.....

"He said the situation had got like it is today due to cost cutting. If all the cables were not lumped together costs would be higher and there would be a need for many more posts to hold them up."

The posts already in situ are struggling to hold the cables up.  Everywhere, there are posts leaning towards the road.  I pass at least 3 every day, and have noticed over the past year that the degree of lean has increased.  One post in particular, causes the traffic to vere towards the middle of the road so as to avoid hitting it.  But, like everything else, nothing will be done until it falls down, possibly killing somebody at the same time.  Just reminds me, "Life is cheap in Thailand", nobody gives a ****!

You have to wonder how many are actively in service opposed to the ones 

that are obsolete? due to the fact that it would be mush easier to just run a

new cable instead of finding a faulty one.

This is an example of no forward thinking, and once started, no turning back.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

Now imagine what it looks like in a Chinese submarine after one year in Thai possession 

Very wet, quiet, dark and cold and swarming with fish... and plastic garbage, I assume.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

Now imagine what it looks like in a Chinese submarine after one year in Thai possession 

They could connect the sub to a land cable to avoid the need for battery back up as the airport link. 

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

What BG was originally saying is that people were stealing electricity and the authorities need to stop it, which of course was a metaphor for people using pirated copies of Windows here. 

Hate to see the rate of electricity stealing in Georgia then? :-)

piracy rate.png

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

You have to wonder how many are actively in service opposed to the ones 

that are obsolete? due to the fact that it would be mush easier to just run a

new cable instead of finding a faulty one.

This is an example of no forward thinking, and once started, no turning back.

that is the major problem ( me 18 years telecom) first thing they would have to do is locate and pull down  the dead faulty cables, would take months to do one block.

You wouldn't need the likes of BG to tell you the bleedin' obvious... just take a look and compare with other SE Asian countries wiring ..

but of course Mr PM knows this, says the right thing at the time, then sits on hands, puts on the ostrich outfit and goes to the Beachboy to find a place to put his head..

4 hours ago, Tilacme said:

That's some deduction?

BG is an idiot. I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and the longest I have been out of power is 3 hours with notice the day before that it would happen living in Phuket when it rains 6 months steady. BG is a ting tong and does not understand Thailand. How many time did I buy a new clone  due to his hard and soft/ware problems. Go fix your own ##$t before you start complaining about others. Don't come back your not welcome 22334ole. 

1 hour ago, Harold the Great said:

BG is an idiot. I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and the longest I have been out of power is 3 hours with notice the day before that it would happen living in Phuket when it rains 6 months steady. BG is a ting tong and does not understand Thailand. How many time did I buy a new clone  due to his hard and soft/ware problems. Go fix your own ##$t before you start complaining about others. Don't come back your not welcome 22334ole. 

Well I know you definately don't live in Chiangmai.  Lived in Thailand for 3 years, geez mate you're now thai.  Mate you haven't even left the airport and you are telling veterans thier not welcomed. 

Edited by Thechook

Again Thailand pretending to move  above the level of a third world country with promises promises and going no where. On the other side of the Thai coined tossed in the wind, Which is where I farted. We will arrest Red Bull heir as stated by the all encompassing corrupt govt. mmmmm Oh! Red Bull heir should be Prime Minister at least he has the money to please the populace that cables will be appropriatly discarded above ground. I say Vote Red Bull heir. the cop killer, as leader. Why not? The rest of authority is just as bad anyway and as useless!