Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

On 6/5/2017 at 1:36 PM, Shroud said:

No worries! According to the thread, your insurance should be active prior to arrival.

I don't have or need any insurance since France pays for my Medical Fees in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, alexlm said:

I don't have or need any insurance since France pays for my Medical Fees in Thailand.

And France is? Hope you have your white hankie with you, wave it at the first sign of trouble.

Some country, probably not France will bail you out.

A responsable move to impose  medical coverage and if possible get also emergency medical repatriation insurance included.

I would not dare to advance the flying cost per hour of a private jet that is used for sanitary repatriations!! 

Such insurance is no big deal and fully worth carrying.

Why should the tax payers or public money in any country be it in Thailand or abroad have to support medical costs of an irresponsable few to many??

As for the vending machines dispensing instant insurance, I might be a more skeptical as it stinks of scam.

Serious insurance companies usually conduct a full medical survey to be filled up with past health background checks, before dispensing coverage. 

One could doubt that the insurances of the vending machines would honour each and every medical issue in case of a claim!!!!!!?

Thailand would need to enforce this rule with IATA in order to have the insurance prescreen check made from the tourist's homeland, when purchasing the ticket and checking-in!

Edited by observer90210

18 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

And France is? Hope you have your white hankie with you, wave it at the first sign of trouble.

I go to the greatest private hospitals of Thailand like Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and I get the money back from France within days to my bank account.

I can even go to one specific rich looking 5 stars hotel style private hospital in Bangkok and I don't even have to take my wallet out. They are partners and I get all for free. I don't pay a Satang...

You must have got wrong information.

Edited by alexlm

On 12.06.2017 at 0:18 PM, scorecard said:

How many leave without paying?

Ask some hoteliers, I believe many would be very surprised about the high numbers of foreigners who check-in then when it suits their needs they flee and often with an extra suitcase full of bedding, rugs from the floor, and everything from the mini bar, and bathroom, the hot water pot, hair dryers, even the TV.

The manager of my hotel in Bkk will tell you how many times he has been cleaned out. Along the way he's become aware of things like guests you do solid reconisance of exit doors etc., when they are locked / not locked, how to sneak the key ring with multiple keys away from the housekeeping staff and just unlock rear exit doors at the right time, maybe 3.00 am, etc etc. 

Ok I confess, I do like to bring back a good supply of those mini shower gels, shampoo gels, lotions and the eau de cologne they put in those hotel bathrooms!!:cheesy:.....but I disapprove of those who go out of the way and manage to rip off the batteries of the radio controler!!!!!!!!!!!!...yes yes it exists, the cleaning lady in my last hotel told me!!

4 minutes ago, alexlm said:

I go to the greatest private hospitals of Thailand like Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and I get the money back from France within days to my bank account.

I can even go to one specific rich looking 5 stars hotel style private hospital in Bangkok and I don't even have to take my wallet out. They are partners and I get all for free. I don't pay a Satang...

You must have got wrong information.

Good for you, but just keep that hankie handy. One day you may need the rest of the world to bail you out

Keep a clean white cloth handy. France issues it to all soldiers and civilians.

Keep it handy, you may well need it to wave some day.

And some country with backbone may well come and save you and your free insurance.

Is your free insurance another reason that your country is nearly bankrupt, just like Italy, Greece and Spain?

• Like 1

On 2017-6-5 at 7:06 AM, CLW said:

And show me that hospital that treats foreigners without paying or credit card deposit.
Anyway most travel insurance you have to pay first by yourself and claim afterwards

Actually no. It's usual that you can do that up to a certain amount, perhaps the equivalent of 25,000 baht. Beyond that you need to contact the  if possible for them to agree beforehand. So at that point they can deal directly with the hospital if necessary.

Typical:

24 hour medical emergency claim and helpline

Our 24 hour emergency medical assistance line is available 365 days of the year and is provided by CEGA Group Services Limited.

You must call this line:

• If you think you need to cut your trip short
  • Before going to a hospital
  • If you need medical treatment that may cost more than £500

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Keep a clean white cloth handy. France issues it to all soldiers and civilians.

Keep it handy, you may well need it to wave some day.

And some country with backbone may well come and save you and your free insurance.

Is your free insurance another reason that your country is nearly bankrupt, just like Italy, Greece and Spain?

The topic is that insurance will be needed to enter Thailand.

But I don't need insurance for now.

That's all.

If things change in the future as you say then I'll just take an insurance or pay my bills...

Whatever.

Just now, alexlm said:

The topic is that insurance will be needed to enter Thailand.

But I don't need insurance for now.

That's all.

If things change in the future as you say then I'll just take an insurance or pay my bills...

Whatever.

If you can prove that France supports you totally and you have documents to support that, why need post bragging.

France may soon find that it cannot support free livers at the expense of the rest of French taxpayers (if there are any)

Keep that hankie handy, wave it at the first sign of threat to you or country. Some other country will rescue you. 

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

He's still insured by the state. I'm sure you can find proof of letters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

If you can prove that France supports you totally and you have documents to support that, why need post bragging.

France may soon find that it cannot support free livers at the expense of the rest of French taxpayers (if there are any)

Keep that hankie handy, wave it at the first sign of threat to you or country. Some other country will rescue you. 

I'm just telling that it would be useless for me to pay an insurance since France pays for me.

What are you talking about.

1 hour ago, Shroud said:

He's still insured by the state. I'm sure you can find proof of letters.

I can't find proof of his letters. What piques me is his his need to brag that he is a bludger on his state.

So he is one of the elite, exempt from paying what all ordinary folk do.

It is a problem that has brought Greece, Italy and even France to the point of bankruptsy.

Just another rorter, just another bludger on the "system"

3 hours ago, alexlm said:

France is a country, a country can't pay for anything, you should say the truth, that the hard working tax payers in France pay for you.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I can't find proof of his letters. What piques me is his his need to brag that he is a bludger on his state.

So he is one of the elite, exempt from paying what all ordinary folk do.

It is a problem that has brought Greece, Italy and even France to the point of bankruptsy.

Just another rorter, just another bludger on the "system"

whatever dude..

5 hours ago, Rockee said:

It's my understanding that travel insurance requires you to have a return ticket. Many expats living here like myself don't have a return ticket.
Some credit cards provide travel insurance if you purchase the ticket with your credit card BUT only applies if you have a return ticket.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not so -- You can easily find policies that are paid monthly, can be cut short without penalty, have specific excesses to suit your situation, and don't need a return ticket.

On 6/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, wellred said:

What idiot doesn't take out travel insurance anyway?

What idiot would go with it is my opinion. 

I have been in the hospital there several times. Private room in a Thai hospital 600-800 baht a night. 

Total cost to me was about 1500-2500 baht a day?

Less than a top end hotel!

On 2017-6-22 at 9:27 AM, Rockee said:

It's my understanding that travel insurance requires you to have a return ticket. Many expats living here like myself don't have a return ticket.
Some credit cards provide travel insurance if you purchase the ticket with your credit card BUT only applies if you have a return ticket.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Erm, you are an expat living here and not a tourist. There are many companies in Thailand that offer insurance.

I suggest that you provide some cover for yourself whilst in Thailand, taking into account your age and common

health issues. Also, if returning from overseas and you show documents that show you are health insured, migration 

officials will wave you through. It is about penniless backpacker like tourists who arrive here, have an accident and

flee the country without paying for their accident incurred costs. You are exempt because you have shown that you are

able to support yourself. You are not the target in these new (perhaps) future laws 

10 hours ago, elektrified said:

Wow, you are really clueless! A bad accident could put you back 1-2 million Baht. I'd like to know what hospital charges 600-800 Baht! Even government hospitals charge about 1200-1500 for a private room.

My wife spent 800 a night for a nice private room in Buriram hospital, after the delivery of our second girl in October 2015. Was perfect as her mum could stay with her. A world away from the maternity ward that housed about 30 or 40 new mums and their newborns...

• Like 1

I think this is a good idea. Travel insurance is pretty cheap in the US and can certainly protect you. I had to have a colon resection performed in Costa Rica years ago when I took Ill there from diverticulitis and had to spend 10 days in the hospital. My travel insurance bailed me out of a big bill! I always get it when I travel anywhere out of the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 2017-6-22 at 4:34 AM, Laab Muu said:

France is a country, a country can't pay for anything, you should say the truth, that the hard working tax payers in France pay for you.

You guys shouldn't be arguing like that, shows some old prejudices and good old chauvinism on the other side. Don't think this is useful here.

French social security, indeed, provides some patchy  cover when you are abroad. However, when on holiday from France I always bought a proper Travel cover. Now that I am in Thailand the CFE (Health Cover for French expatriates (I don't say it in French as my post would get deleted), ) tried to sell me their policy, I looked at it and if wasn't even close to what I think is necessary. I just stick to my UN ASHI (After Service Health Insurance).