Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

I don't think they will do this.  It won't increase tourism, so it's just a question of how significantly it reduces.

I think the cost of lost tourism will be greater than the money saved from rare medical bailout cases.

They have been doing free tourist visas for this very reason.  A lot of people have considerable savings and will prefer to cut out the middleman who in the long run will make a profit from this, so this is an extra cost for them and a reason to chose another country.  Also a lot of hospitals are actually very good value.

The greatest risk is probably motorcycle accidents, and the insurance I have seen does not cover the case of not having a local driving licence.  The numerous police stops are proof a considerable number of tourists have chosen not to have this (paying police can be cheaper or less hassle for example, especially for a short holiday).

So if forced to pay for a policy that probably won't cover the greatest risk, they'll chose another country or just see it as a cost and hassle in the decision process.

Of course for most people it makes sense to be insured, and to have a local driving licence or international one, but a large minority will see this as enough reason not to visit Thailand.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, johnsjourney said:

I don't think they will do this.  It won't increase tourism, so it's just a question of how significantly it reduces.

I think the cost of lost tourism will be greater than the money saved from rare medical bailout cases.

They have been doing free tourist visas for this very reason.  A lot of people have considerable savings and will prefer to cut out the middleman who in the long run will make a profit from this, so this is an extra cost for them and a reason to chose another country.  Also a lot of hospitals are actually very good value.

The greatest risk is probably motorcycle accidents, and the insurance I have seen does not cover the case of not having a local driving licence.  The numerous police stops are proof a considerable number of tourists have chosen not to have this (paying police can be cheaper or less hassle for example, especially for a short holiday).

So if forced to pay for a policy that probably won't cover the greatest risk, they'll chose another country or just see it as a cost and hassle in the decision process.

Of course for most people it makes sense to be insured, and to have a local driving licence or international one, but a large minority will see this as enough reason not to visit Thailand.

I think this pretty much sums it up, though I do think that sometime in the future they will bring in compulsory health and accident insurance for visa extensions on non immigrant visas.

1 hour ago, Laab Muu said:

I think this pretty much sums it up, though I do think that sometime in the future they will bring in compulsory health and accident insurance for visa extensions on non immigrant visas.

Okay, but what about the retirement extension, anyone over 60 will have a problem unless they have been in a Thai health Insurance scheme for 20 years?

11 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Okay, but what about the retirement extension, anyone over 60 will have a problem unless they have been in a Thai health Insurance scheme for 20 years?

I don't think they are looking to make it easier for people, they don't really want foreigners to stay in Thailand long term, they want them to spend their money and leave.

• Like 1

It may be that the "insurance premium" that may be "collected" on entering Thailand might be a bit like the "entry tax" to Phi Phi Don - ostensibly for "cleaning & trash removal" but I observed little evidence of such action.

19 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

I don't think they are looking to make it easier for people, they don't really want foreigners to stay in Thailand long term, they want them to spend their money and leave.

Ha ha, actually they would prefer us just to send our money and not come here at all if the truth was told...

I have my eyes on Vietnam, never bought property here as it's doesn't come with any security so when my lease is up I can just leave.

Sod them!

• Like 2

Can you see the insurance claims filed by farang being honored?  Or even those filed by the much-beloved quality Chinese tourists?  I can't.

I'll guess how claims will be dealt with: it takes time for the claim to be processed, inspectors dispatched to verify the claim, need for more proof, and so on.  Months of work, while the tourist has returned to their home country within a few weeks.  Months later they may actually be contacted by the insurance company stating that in order to clear things up they must return to Thailand and visit their offices. 

Looking for an investment opportunity in LOS?  Try tourist insurance!

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Can you see the insurance claims filed by farang being honored?  Or even those filed by the much-beloved quality Chinese tourists?  I can't.

I'll guess how claims will be dealt with: it takes time for the claim to be processed, inspectors dispatched to verify the claim, need for more proof, and so on.  Months of work, while the tourist has returned to their home country within a few weeks.  Months later they may actually be contacted by the insurance company stating that in order to clear things up they must return to Thailand and visit their offices. 

Looking for an investment opportunity in LOS?  Try tourist insurance!

Conjecture only,  cart before the horse, counting chickens before they hatch, an assumption that the insurance HAS to be purchased from the Thai Gov, Majority of travellers purchase their insurance requirements from their home country before they leave, and in many cases you can still purchase your insurance from your home country you simply have to state you will return when it expires, but they would never know !

• 2 weeks later...
What idiot would go with it is my opinion. 
I have been in the hospital there several times. Private room in a Thai hospital 600-800 baht a night. 
Total cost to me was about 1500-2500 baht a day?
Less than a top end hotel!

Oh man. Such a risk taker. I hope you don't have real trauma one day 'cos you'll be eating your words . . .
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, swanny321 said:

So I guess £60 insurance from the Post Office won't cover it then?

SWMBO and self do a fair bit of travel from and back to Thailand. We have insurance ( accident ) for here but she always adds insurance to the cost and as part of the holiday. 

Don't see a problem.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

SWMBO and self do a fair bit of travel from and back to Thailand. We have insurance ( accident ) for here but she always adds insurance to the cost and as part of the holiday. 

Don't see a problem.

Ok here is what it cost me this week for 3 nights at Rajavey Hospital Chiang Mai, admitted thru Emergency Dept, 2 xrays 1x Ultrasound

on  a drip for the 3 nights litres of Antibiotics via drips. 8 injections of other drugs, Private Room  and all medications to take home, all up. 23708 Bt.

I had NO meals there at all but my partner and my daughter came and with me every night. Each evening the nurse would give them vouchers for a free evening meal. My room was great fridge  sofa dining table everything you could ask for .More important the care they gave me was great could not have asked for better attention.

Now I have  never been admitted to hospital with an illness only accidents, SO you tell me is worth having insurance, I rest my case.

4 minutes ago, Flying Kiwi said:

Ok here is what it cost me this week for 3 nights at Rajavey Hospital Chiang Mai, admitted thru Emergency Dept, 2 xrays 1x Ultrasound

on  a drip for the 3 nights litres of Antibiotics via drips. 8 injections of other drugs, Private Room  and all medications to take home, all up. 23708 Bt.

I had NO meals there at all but my partner and my daughter came and with me every night. Each evening the nurse would give them vouchers for a free evening meal. My room was great fridge  sofa dining table everything you could ask for .More important the care they gave me was great could not have asked for better attention.

Now I have  never been admitted to hospital with an illness only accidents, SO you tell me is worth having insurance, I rest my case.

Wait til some out of control idiot hits you on his motorbike and breaks a few bones in your uninsured body and you spend 4 weeks in hospital with a couple of Op's thrown in then after that has happened post again.

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Wait til some out of control idiot hits you on his motorbike and breaks a few bones in your uninsured body and you spend 4 weeks in hospital with a couple of Op's thrown in then after that has happened post again.

?

31 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

vientiene looking better and better

Only until you are carried into a Lao hospital in need of care. I like Lao and I like Vietnam too, but as a retired expat I worry about long term residence there simply because of the healthcare infrastructure, or lack thereof. For a visit, sure great but Thailand is miles ahead for older expats.

1 hour ago, Flying Kiwi said:

?

Why the question mark.

Do you know how many bikers expat and local don't have insurance. One of them hits you and hurts you badly, who's going to pay the bill?

See post 530.

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this is just so so wrong; self-insuring is a valid route

If you are willing to lodge a few million baht in a Thai Government bank account, maybe. That you have no access to, of course. It's just cheaper in the long run to have the peace of mind of travel insurance.

12 minutes ago, rasg said:

If you are willing to lodge a few million baht in a Thai Government bank account, maybe. That you have no access to, of course. It's just cheaper in the long run to have the peace of mind of travel insurance.

There's no such thing as "self-insurance" .  It's been thrashed out in the forum many times before -- either you have enough money to pay for the worst case scenario, and you are sure you will be conscious when they ask you to sign the bill, or you have an insurance company do all that for you.  Thinking you're going to get away with it because it's "not likely" to happen to you - puts you in the same group of self-delusional folks who think they are above many of the normalities of life -- you are all omnipotent and everlastingly healthy and accident free -- But it's just tempting fate -- who will not fail to respond in one way or another soon enough. 

Meantime - if you think your premiums are too high, there are two factors at play - your travel/living budget priorities are wrong and/or you're not looking at the right insurance suppliers. 

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this is just so so wrong; self-insuring is a valid route

I think one million baht in the bank would be ok, but don't have it in only your name as if you are unconcho nobody will be able to touch it. Had that happen to my friend who died and then his Thai wife couldn't get the money for nearly one year.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:30 PM, webfact said:

a proposal that would require foreigners applying for an extension of stay to have valid medical insurance.

then i will be getting my LAST , in a long line, extension , then; looks to be a few trips to laos and cambodia in the near future....; this place is startlingly self destructive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Why the question mark.

Do you know how many bikers expat and local don't have insurance. One of them hits you and hurts you badly, who's going to pay the bill?

See post 530.

MY point i have insurance OK durrrr

How about if Thailand has reimbursement of foreigners based on how much foreign aid they received?  Like $240 MILLION from US taxpayers following the '04 tsunami?  And ad on every dollar since!  I would say Americans have prepaid!

• Like 2