Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A 67 year old British man ordered a final drink from the bar of a Sukhumvit hotel restaurant last night.

Then he went to the balcony,set up a chair and jumped.

Andrew Frank Browning was found below out front of the hotel with a broken neck and dislocated limbs. He was dressed all in black.

On the body was a suicide note addressed to his children. In his sad goodbye he mentioned his health problems, said Noppha Thongbor of Lumpini police.

Witnesses said Mr Browning had casually ordered a drink at the restaurant on the seventh floor of the hotel in Klong Toei Nua, Wattana district.

Then he had quietly gone round the corner out of sight and put his chair by the railing.

The body was taken to Chulalongkorn Hospital for autopsy and the embassy has been informed.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-06

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

In some countries like the Netherlands there is its called euthanasia, however in many other countries there is not such a things as religious fanatics decide you have to stay alive. Though in the Netherlands those Christian fanatics are trying to limit the right to die. (i get it for people that are not of sound mind) But all others should have that right and religious fanatical Christians should just shut up and not use the option themselves instead of banning it for others. 

condolences offered to family left behind.

Respect to the deceased also, as it seems it was a well calculated move and we never know what has driven him to the top of the building.

R.I.P.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Netherlands there is its called euthanasia, however in many other countries there is not such a things as religious fanatics decide you have to stay alive.

Yer--as the old song goes......Every body wants to go to heaven---but no body wants to die......:coffee1:

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I wonder if he just had health problems, or financial problems related to health care costs?  

And which of them drove him to take his own life.

So often intrinsically linked with no health insurance, being too old or not being able to afford any.

2 minutes ago, SGD said:

So often intrinsically linked with no health insurance, being too old or not being able to afford any.

If that's the case here, it's a good cautionary tale that failing to plan for life's financial problems here in LOS (or anywhere for that matter) can actually result in an early death.  

That gets my attention a lot more than arguments about the virtues and problems with insurance and hospital costs.  

Life/Death.  It doesn't get any more serious than that.

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I wonder where his Thai gf was ....  and his mobile and cards.

Was there any witness,  many strange things happen in Thailand as we all know.

RIP poor gent.

I think the suicide note exonerates them in his demise, as long as it's in his hand.  

Still, I hope his Embassy works to quickly secure his local assets for next of kin.  I've left a key to my apartment and instructions for some co-workers to gather up my valuables for my family in case of my untimely demise.  Mostly emergency cash, bank books and some computers.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, robblok said:

In some countries like the Netherlands there is its called euthanasia, however in many other countries there is not such a things as religious fanatics decide you have to stay alive. Though in the Netherlands those Christian fanatics are trying to limit the right to die. (i get it for people that are not of sound mind) But all others should have that right and religious fanatical Christians should just shut up and not use the option themselves instead of banning it for others. 

Is that possible where your condition is not terminal, but your life miserable due to debilitating health problems?  

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Is that possible where your condition is not terminal, but your life miserable due to debilitating health problems?  

Yes that is possible, they even wanted to take it one step further to end it if you say your life is done (your old happy but nothing left to live for) but that still is debated and not sure it will go through. But right now if your quality of life is real low and no way to really improve (so non fatal disease but lot of pain and problems) you can ask for euthanasia.

But if your miserable because of sickness and treatment wont help it (treatment wont cure or make you feel better) So if you got cancer and you don't want chemo as its not nice at all you can ask euthanasia). So its quite liberal already. Belgium is also quite liberal with it. 

But you have to ask for it when your still sound of mind. (good thing)

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

18 minutes ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too...

If you've never experienced the ever present agony of end stage cancer, you can't possibly judge what's cowardly.  

Or the prospect that you're never going to be pain free, but that next week in the hospital is going to cost the money your family has scrounged for decades so your kid can go to university for a year.  Then the next week's treatment will see them mortgaging the family home.  Then next week's treatment will come at the expense of your kid's second year at school.  And before you die (which may be inevitable), they'll be bankrupted and destitute.

Meanwhile, racked with pain, you're not the guy your family remembers anyway.  And it's only going to get worse.

Sometimes, taking your own life is the humane thing to do.  For the family as well as yourself.  Some people wait until they're racked with the pain and on the way to bankruptcy.  Some people see the writing on the wall and make that decision earlier.

Edited by impulse

17 minutes ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

I may have been a bit harsh there. That is my general view and a reply to the quote above. Obviously I dont know this mans personal situation and I would also like to pass on my condolences.  

18 minutes ago, claffey said:

Ah as i Thought a fanatical Christian.. wanna bet your American. 

You are the reason why this guy had to jump, (a gruesome way to go and a bad way), if it was legal then he could die in peace under a doctors supervision. You are contradicting yourself condemning that he jumped as it being gruesome, if euthanasia was legal there would have been no need for that.  Thing is.. your trying to force your opinion on others.. forbidding others freedom to die. Who are you to decide that, it should be up to the persons themselves. 

If you are thinking that people who commit euthanasia do so without consulting of their families and in general their families support them being in pain is not fun at all. They understand that and want their family member to be out of pain and pass on. But in the end its the choice of the person in that position. 

I am appalled by people who force others to live because it offends their religion. How about you just don't do it yourself but let others be who want to use the option. 

Edited by robblok

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just makes the press here.

In line with the general ''pesky foreigner'' theme of reporting that appeals to some readers.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If you've never experienced the ever present agony of end stage cancer, you can't possibly judge what's cowardly.  

Or the prospect that you're never going to be pain free, but that next week in the hospital is going to cost the money your family has scrounged for decades so your kid can go to university for a year.  Then the next week's treatment will see them mortgaging the family home.  Then next week's treatment will come at the expense of your kid's second year at school.  And before you die (which may be inevitable), they'll be bankrupted and destitute.

Meanwhile, racked with pain, you're not the guy your family remembers anyway.  And it's only going to get worse.

Sometimes, taking your own life is the humane thing to do.  For the family as well as yourself.

But surely there are better ways to do it rather than flinging yourself off the top of a high building... And yes I have witnessed people in the last stages of cancer. They fought top the end and were able to share a last few precious moments with their family. Their pain was reduced by morphine...

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You are the reason why this guy had to jump,

You're confusing the American people with the American political system which has been stolen from us by our corporations and the 1%.

Just now, claffey said:

I may have been a bit harsh there. That is my general view and a reply to the quote above. Obviously I dont know this mans personal situation and I would also like to pass on my condolences.  

You are real harsh, and a religious fanatic in my book. If euthanasia was legal he would not have to jump. He would have had time to consult with his family about this and end it in a civilized way. People don't end their lives because they are feeling well, they do so because they are in pain or have an incurable disease.

But what i hate most about your kind of people is that you limits others options, I can understand you not taking that option yourself. But why forbid others. Its their life and their choice. Now of course they should consult their family but in the end its their choice.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah as i Thought a fanatical Christian.. wanna bet your American. 

You are the reason why this guy had to jump, (a gruesome way to go and a bad way), if it was legal then he could die in peace under a doctors supervision. You are contradicting yourself condemning that he jumped as it being gruesome, if euthanasia was legal there would have been no need for that.  Thing is.. your trying to force your opinion on others.. forbidding others freedom to die. Who are you to decide that, it should be up to the persons themselves. 

If you are thinking that people who commit euthanasia do so without consulting of their families and in general their families support them being in pain is not fun at all. They understand that and want their family member to be out of pain and pass on. But in the end its the choice of the person in that position. 

I am appalled by people who force others to live because it offends their religion. How about you just don't do it yourself but let others be who want to use the option. 

As I said I am not religious. I am, however a family mann and would never do such a thing as I would always put the emotions of my family first...By the way this guy could've killed someone else if he landed on them. Also think about the people who had to clean up his body afterwards. 

Just now, impulse said:

You're confusing the American people with the American political system which has been stolen from us by our corporations and the 1%.

I just know that Americans are quite religious and that you can't do it over there. I also know that in my country the people against euthanasia are in general the Christians. So i just put one and one together. Now I am sure there are Americans that are pro euthanasia but obviously not enough.