Salary in Chaing Mai for fresh PhD and PhD scholars

Surely it would depend on the nature of the job and weather it is even related to the field of expertise studied in the phD. I have a friend with a phD from a study of an obscure Russian language, it doesn't get him get a set wage working in an unrelated field. The only set salary would be as a university teacher, teaching the area of expertise.

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Surely it would depend on the nature of the job and weather it is even related to the field of expertise studied in the phD. I have a friend with a phD from a study of an obscure Russian language, it doesn't get him get a set wage working in an unrelated field. The only set salary would be as a university teacher, teaching the area of expertise.

Master in IT from Malaysia.

PhD in computer science in Malaysia. (Status: thesis submission)

Now can anyone tell me how much here salay we get

It  depends on who you work for.  Universities in Thailand don't pay much.  If you can find a foreign company that needs a highly qualified IT person in Thailand the pay would probably be enough to live very well in Thailand.  However I have no idea how to find such a job.

1 hour ago, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

40K is very less salary for a PhD HOLDER

Low indeed. I know Thai’s in Chiang Mai with only “higher education” that get more, and for a foreigner to qualify for a work permit, they need at least 50,000 baht/month in salary (there are a few jobs exempt from this).

If you are the PhD holder, consider what value you can bring to a company (compared to someone who just has vocational college and specialized in computer engineering) and that should give you an idea of the salary.

I think it is rather limited, how many companies in Chiang Mai would derive value from hiring a PhD holder, so the demand and thus salary is probably low and there are too few data points to really talk about a “starting salary”.

6 hours ago, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

40K is very less salary for a PhD HOLDER

Loads of Thai PhD holders that would be first in the queue

You could probably teach English without a teachers certificate for 25,000 baht.

What can you bring to the table that another 100 or so locally educated individuals can't?

Do you speak the language? Can you explain the anatomy of a Java program in a way that will be understood?

Do you enjoy being around 10 year old systems infected with all-sorts and running out-of-date OSes?

Some of the factories in the industrial zone in Lamphun would be interested, salary around 60-70,000B/month.

You would be second choice to a Thai though, unless you are fluent in Thai.

7 hours ago, lkn said:

Low indeed. I know Thai’s in Chiang Mai with only “higher education” that get more, and for a foreigner to qualify for a work permit, they need at least 50,000 baht/month in salary (there are a few jobs exempt from this).

If you are the PhD holder, consider what value you can bring to a company (compared to someone who just has vocational college and specialized in computer engineering) and that should give you an idea of the salary.

I think it is rather limited, how many companies in Chiang Mai would derive value from hiring a PhD holder, so the demand and thus salary is probably low and there are too few data points to really talk about a “starting salary”.

We are looking in academic as a lecturer. There are job in chiang mai. I just need to know how much i demand?

34 minutes ago, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

what i understand from your post that salary range in academia after phd is around 40-50K BAHT

Am i right?

Kindly correct and further more, i need to know the living expanses in chiang mai?

You can get by modestly but reasonably comfortably--enough to eat, studio condo or apartment, walking or used motorbike (no car)--on 40-50K.  If the university is providing health insurance, housing or other essentials it gets easier.

If your goal is to get one or two years teaching experience before applying for a better paying job, Chiang Mai would be ok.  I assume many other places would be as well, but I don't know supply and demand in your particular field.  However if your goal is to make money, Chiang Mai isn't the place for it.  Chiang Mai University students with in-demand degrees usually have to go to Bangkok or other places in the south to make decent money.  Chiang Mai isn't a high salary city.

16 hours ago, lkn said:

"We are looking in academic as a lecturer. There are job in chiang mai. I just need to know how much i demand?"

So as I read it, you already have have a Masters in IT (which seems somewhat vague) but don't yet hold a PhD because you have only reached the stage where you have submitted your thesis (although you probably have a good idea where you are placed for a PhD).

It seems that you have some academic experience (as a student), but being a lecturer on a subject requires more than simply waving around your qualifications saying "look how clever I am". Regretfully, your qualifications (no matter however impressive) are in themselves not worth anything, they have no fiscal value. BUT if you add to those qualifications a couple of years of practical experience working for someone at a reasonable (but lower) salary in your chosen field you then have something more attractive as a package for a prospective employer to consider.

On a more practical note the hyperlink (below) provides you with a list of the top 7 ranked universities in Chiang Mai. I suggest you conact the recruitment office of each one and ask your questions of them.

http://www.4icu.org/th/chiang-mai/

Regards,

Joe

10 hours ago, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

We are looking in academic as a lecturer. There are job in chiang mai. I just need to know how much i demand?

If you're going to be working for a government university, you'd probably be looking at around 40-50,000  baht per month, though it could even be less depending on exactly what position you're filling. Some private universities may offer more. It will also depend on what you're bringing. If they're specifically looking for foreign or ASEAN academics and a strong research background, someone who is going to be publishing regularly,  you'll probably be looking at a higher salary. 

On 6/6/2017 at 0:54 PM, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

Master in IT from Malaysia.

PhD in computer science in Malaysia. (Status: thesis submission)

Now can anyone tell me how much here salay we get

You got your answer already, nobody can give you a specific answer.

By the way it might help to be polite.

On 6/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, heybruce said:

It  depends on who you work for.  Universities in Thailand don't pay much.  If you can find a foreign company that needs a highly qualified IT person in Thailand the pay would probably be enough to live very well in Thailand.  However I have no idea how to find such a job.

What's also in the picture is whether jobs in your specific expertise is reserved for Thai nations only.

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You got your answer already, nobody can give you a specific answer.

By the way it might help to be polite.

He is probably trying to be polite, but he has difficult time to express himself in English.

Low English, probably zero Thai, high salary expectations ... good luck.

1 hour ago, baywatch82 said:

He is probably trying to be polite, but he has difficult time to express himself in English.

Low English, probably zero Thai, high salary expectations ... good luck.

Not difficult to say / write 'please'.

If the poster does not have at least very advanced Thai language skills (listening, comprehension, speaking, reading and writing Thai script - also meaning most / all the materials are in written Thai), the poster would not get work. Students in Thai universities complain very quickly and this would be an item where they would quickly complain. 

If the poster cannot speak advanced English then the poster will have close to zero chance of getting work in a program / course conducted in English. If it's a program advertised to be presented in English, and if there are exchange students in the class the lecturer must be capable of very advanced English.

As above, the students (Thai and exchange) will complain strongly and very quickly (half way through the first day - if there are exchange students, they will complain to their home university in Europe of wherever) if the lecturer is not speaking advanced English. 

Also right now all Thai universities are under pressure to up their quality, comply with advertised / approved curriculum. None of them want to get 'offline ' in regard to the various rules and they don't want a situation  where students complain, they are fobbed off, and they then quickly complain to higher authorities, and the uni gets a bad reputation, etc.

If the above is true, then why is the poster asking about teaching in Thailand?

Edited by scorecard

21 hours ago, Aslam Muhammad Shahzad said:

what i understand from your post that salary range in academia after phd is around 40-50K BAHT

Am i right?

Kindly correct and further more, i need to know the living expanses in chiang mai?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to teach in a Thai university, yet your Thai language skills is 0, and your English skills is at a beginner's level at best.  Sorry, but your prospects are not good.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to teach in a Thai university, yet your Thai language skills is 0, and your English skills is at a beginner's level at best.  Sorry, but your prospects are not good.

He probably couldn't teach an English literature class, but with advanced degrees in IT I don't think that is the kind of teaching he is considering.

Many STEM classes are taught in English by people who don't speak English as a first language.  So long as they can communicate the subject adequately that is good enough.  As has been pointed out, there aren't too many IT jobs in Chiang Mai.  That could well mean there aren't many people with the knowledge to teach the subject, and it is a career in demand.

To the OP--don't worry about the many posts of judgmental, ill-informed and off-topic opinions.  It's normal on Thai Visa.  Just ignore them and look for the few posts with useful information.

Edited by heybruce

"I just need to know how much i demand?,"You will not be able to demand anything".We are looking in academic as a lecturer", unless you can speak excellent Thai how are you going to achieve that.?

regards Worgeordie

Back on topic:  basically Chiang Mai is not a place to make good money.  If you like Chiang Mai and want to live there then you can make 'adequate' money to live very nicely, but internationally speaking you won't be making real money.

To consider it I think it should be 100K and up.  Otherwise it doesn't' really make sense other than as a 1-2 year stint to get some experience, enjoy Chiang Mai and then move on.

Also, experience and skill counts for more than degrees (except at universities and Intergovernmental Organizations (UN, etc.), where they like degrees. :) )  My wife has only a master's degree and made about 70K working in IT.  (Before realizing that tourism is where it's at these days.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There are only two universities in CM that offer a computer science/information technology program taught in English: CMU and Payap. Both have foreign lecturers. At either the salary for a starting lecturer with a relevant Ph.D. will be 40k baht or less.