Mother sends kid to the market - and will never see him again

webfact

Mother sends kid to the market - and will never see him again

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SRI RACHA: -- A mother was in floods of tears as she cradled the dead body of her son after he was crushed under the back wheel of a truck trailer.

He was riding a motorcycle.

She had sent her 15 year old son to the market in Sri Racha to buy some pork. But when he overtook a lorry he collided with the rear of the trailer that was turning.

Truck-trailer driver Bunsong Thonglee, 45, said he had put on his indicators. Nong Kham police charged him with negligent driving causing death.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-07

Tragic for all parties concerned... 

It would appear that the lorry was simply making a normal turn and the boy, inexperienced on the roads, miscalculated.

I feel for the family. I also feel for the lorry driver, who is being charged which is normal under the circumstances, but it still seems harsh. 

this has happened to us when making a left turn,motorcycles trying to squeeze up on the inside to get infront ...dont know why every motorcycle wants to be first in line ..have no idea and they think they are all bullet proof 

1 hour ago, o2eZy said:

this has happened to us when making a left turn,motorcycles trying to squeeze up on the inside to get infront ...dont know why every motorcycle wants to be first in line ..have no idea and they think they are all bullet proof 

Exactly, same thing every time you want to make a turn here. Even with indicators blinking some bar stuards don't get the hint. You have to be a four-face Brahma to drive in these roads so you can have a 360 degrees view of what is going on :blink:

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"

"Truck-trailer driver Bunsong Thonglee, 45, said he had put on his indicators. "

But did he look into the rear mirror?

probably never knew what it's good for

Why? The boy overtook the truck and him has to look him can do it or not. But him give a shit about what was in his front!!! 

The results we know now.

I had it so much times in the last 10 years that stupid motorbike drivers (man & woman) overtook me on the left or the right side when I want drive around a corner and all the time the indicator was on. 

Edited by Rimmer
troll

Not only in Thailand this is a major issue; in most Western countries trucks and buses are equiped with all kinds of mirrors and camera's to make the dead angle alive. 

In my homecountry, the driver is always responsible for accidents like these.

3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

15 is apparently legal on a 100cc scoot.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/537757-legal-age-for-riding-motorcycle/

Whether the boy was 8, 15 or older......I see almost every near-accidents happen (ALL ages involved) because trucks and buses make left turns leaving enough space for bikes to take the inner curve.......until the moment that the rear-axle gets very near the sidewalk. 

I once stayed behind a truck who was about to make a left turn. Behind me was a motorbike who blew the horn....."Come on....go go!!"

Pretty annoyed the rider passed me and made an attempt to pass the truck on the inner curve.......just seconds later the rider could jump to safety and the bike was crushed........the unfortunate rider didn't see my ear-to-ear smile!!

1 minute ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Whether the boy was 8, 15 or older......I see almost every near-accidents happen (ALL ages involved) because trucks and buses make left turns leaving enough space for bikes to take the inner curve.......until the moment that the rear-axle gets very near the sidewalk. 

I once stayed behind a truck who was about to make a left turn. Behind me was a motorbike who blew the horn....."Come on....go go!!"

Pretty annoyed the rider passed me and made an attempt to pass the truck on the inner curve.......just seconds later the rider could jump to safety and the bike was crushed........the unfortunate rider didn't see my ear-to-ear smile!!

Meh.

I was replying to someone who said he was not legal to ride when it seems it is possible he was, but thanks for your unsolicited spiel anyways.

39 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Why? The boy overtook the truck and him has to look him can do it or not. But him give a shit about what was in his front!!! 

The results we know now.

I had it so much times in the last 10 years that stupid motorbike drivers (man & woman) overtook me on the left or the right side when I want drive around a corner and all the time the indicator was on. 

You are right when you say it was the boy's fault. But it was the driver's fault, too. The law says everybody has to do what they can to avoid an accident. I believe even in Thailand.

And yes, when I want to turn with my car I take care to drive very close to the curb so they will not even try.

The market was 200 mets from his home. Why didn't he walk? RIP!

Walking is not accepted in Thailand. It just means your poor and you'll lose face. RIP.

30 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

You are right when you say it was the boy's fault. But it was the driver's fault, too. The law says everybody has to do what they can to avoid an accident. I believe even in Thailand.

And yes, when I want to turn with my car I take care to drive very close to the curb so they will not even try.

A lorry with a trailer cannot drive close to the pavement as it needs  room to turn without riding the pavement.

If you don't drive a large vehicle you wouldn't have a clue how to drive one.

Driving properly is how you avoid an accident, if the 2nd party doesn't do the same the result will be an accident.

8 minutes ago, berybert said:

A lorry with a trailer cannot drive close to the pavement as it needs  room to turn without riding the pavement.

If you don't drive a large vehicle you wouldn't have a clue how to drive one.

True.

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"

"Truck-trailer driver Bunsong Thonglee, 45, said he had put on his indicators. "

But did he look into the rear mirror?

probably never knew what it's good for

if he was used to driving on Thai roads he must have been using his mirrors, the number of times motorbikes have tried to pass me on the inside when i have been indicating and turning left and on one occasion cutting across the front of me as i started to turn and riding in to a stall as he was going to fast to get back on the main road

It sounds like there were no witnesses.

The decedent's family need to hire a competent, independent accident   Reconstructionist. 

Hopefully, paint transfers, skid marks, gouges and measured distances will support the truck driver was not at fault.

The truck driver as no duty to look behind him when making a left turn.

My wife's cousin sons have just recently started riding the motorbikes, no helmets, no licenses and no common sense.  I see them fly out of the family compound each day without looking.

I'm only surprised that they're still here.  

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

15 may be the legal age to drive a motorbike in Thailand, but 15 also means - little experience and no common sense.  

My regrets to the mother. 

The majority of Thai drivers and motorbike riders have no common sense never mind the 15 year old ones.

I am sick fed up with cars, vans and trucks coming down the wrong side of the road and flashing their lights telling me to get out their way.

6 hours ago, trogers said:

Overtaking on the left is a prerequisite for Thai motorcycle driving...

It's also not cool to wear a crash helmet.

A crash helmet indeed makes your head not cool and is destroying your hairdo.

8 minutes ago, hansnl said:

A crash helmet indeed makes your head not cool and is destroying your hairdo.

I was in a cycling shop in the UK about twenty years ago and a mother and boy were obviously shopping for cycling helmets.  Mum was pointing out some suitable protection and then the boy said 'I wouldn't be seen dead in that' and I quietly commented 'You might be seen dead without it'.  The lad didn't say a word and his mum just glared at him.

3 hours ago, Kabula said:

It sounds like there were no witnesses.

The decedent's family need to hire a competent, independent accident   Reconstructionist. 

Hopefully, paint transfers, skid marks, gouges and measured distances will support the truck driver was not at fault.

The truck driver as no duty to look behind him when making a left turn.

Sorry i disagree.. any sensible driver should look behind (using all mirrors available) when when turning either left or right onto another road. 

That said, the number of times motorcyclists try to squeeze into gaps is nowadays ridiculous. The worst i see lately are these half off-road / half on-road type of bikes.

Edited by james.d

7 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Not only in Thailand this is a major issue; in most Western countries trucks and buses are equiped with all kinds of mirrors and camera's to make the dead angle alive. 

In my homecountry, the driver is always responsible for accidents like these.

This is not fair.

It should not be the driver alone. May be 50 %