Putin says Kremlin critic U.S. Senator McCain 'lives in Old World'

webfact

Putin says Kremlin critic U.S. Senator McCain 'lives in Old World'

REUTERS

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks during his annual end-of-year news conference in Moscow, Russia, December 23, 2016. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin has said U.S. Republican Senator John McCain, known for his anti-Kremlin rhetoric, lives in the "Old World" and that Russia and the United States must work together on common challenges.

McCain said last week Putin was a bigger threat to global security than Islamic State, and warned the Senate would push for tougher sanctions against Moscow for its alleged interference in the U.S. election last year.

In an interview with U.S. film director Oliver Stone, excerpts of which were released on Thursday ahead of its broadcast by U.S. TV network Showtime from June 12, Putin praised the senator's "patriotism".

"I like Senator McCain to a certain extent. And I'm not joking. I like him because of his patriotism, and I can relate to his consistency in fighting for the interests of his own country," Putin told Stone in the interview, recorded in February.

But he added: "People with such convictions like the Senator you mentioned, they still live in the Old World. And they’re reluctant to look into the future, they are unwilling to recognise how fast the world is changing."

He urged the United States to work with Russia on global problems.

"Right now there are common threats we are both facing, like international terrorism. We've got to fight poverty across the world," Putin said.

"After all, we've piled up so many nuclear weapons that it has become a threat to the whole world as well. And it would be good for us to give it some thought. There are many issues to address."

(Reporting by Andrew Osborn; writing by Vladimir Soldatkin; editing by Andrew Roche)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-09

42 minutes ago, nausea said:

Putin can be very eloquent. 

Putin is an experienced politician. He sees the same in McCain. Unfortunately, he recognises an extremely weak President and see opportunities for Russia to exploit that, though McCain is definitely an obstacle, as he won't lie down and watch his country sold down the river.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Putin and Trump are one and the same.

Each is more concerned with his own welfare and not his countries welfare.

True. Proof, if any were needed, is both Putin and Trump describe the Russia-Trump investigations identically.  They say it's a witch hunt and completely fueled by leakers and 'fake news.'  

They're isolated in a tiny minority which includes Manafort, Page, Kushner, heads of sanctioned Russian banks, and Flynn.  The vast majority of Americans (and maybe Russians also) want to find the truth.

McCain is the least hard-right-wing member of Republican congress, so that's why Trump and Putin don't like him.  McCain is still miles right of center.   'Center' being where most Americans sit on this issue.   Americans don't like the fact that their prez election was heavily influenced Russian agents and hackers.

Speaking of living in the "Old World," Putin should look at a mirror. 

His authoritarian style and his seizures of other nations' lands surely looks like a new version of the Russian Empire and not an international member of the fellow nation of republics. 

18 minutes ago, helpisgood said:

His authoritarian style and his seizures of other nations' lands surely looks like a new version of the Russian Empire and not an international member of the fellow nation of republics. 

Very true. But he still is correct that McCain is living in the old world, and not moving on.

3 hours ago, helpisgood said:

Exactly.  Putin trying to recreate the spectacularly failed Soviet Empire, but it's McCAIN that "lives in the old world".   I knew Putin was a thug, but never realized he was an inarticulate idiot.

I salute Putin for his patience; the Americans behave like little kindergarteners once the teacher has left the class room. It takes brainless, diplomatically total ignorance to tickle the Russians by posting 4'000 American troops at the Polish/Russian border.

McCain should attend to his grandkids, if any, or do something else befitting his age and experience - everything else is third grade Hollywood material. 

5 hours ago, chilli42 said:

In Putin's new world order the US is in disarray and has no overseas allies (other than Israel), NATO has collapsed and Putin is running the show.

Putin is winning with that but McCain is correct, it's time to fight back harder. 

Putin does deserve evil credit for playing a weak hand (his nation that's basically a gas station) very well. 

Edited by Jingthing

Putin forgot to add traitor to McCain's list of achievements.
Saigon Songbird McCain was captured and sang his little heart out to the communists.
He is also responsible for leaving men behind.
The man isn't a hero, never was and never will be.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Saigon Songbird McCain was captured and sang his little heart out to the communists.

Sleazy accusations.

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/9/2017 at 7:48 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

Putin and Trump are one and the same.

Each is more concerned with his own welfare and not his countries welfare.

One of the largest difference between those two men, is that one of them is worth as much as $40 billion, with no debt. And he is a bona fide dictator, who wields tremendous power, and possesses great intelligence. The other, is worth a couple of billion, with $680 million in debt and wants to be a dictator, but wields the little power he has with a tremendous lack of grace and dignity, and cannot help but put his foot in his mouth, and shoot himself in the foot daily. 

On 2017-6-10 at 2:27 AM, sebastion said:

You are so wrong. Where do you get this trash talk. 

The Viets said they would release him when they found out who his father was.

I visited McCains little box in the so called Hanoi Hilton.

His concrete bed was tilted at 30 degrees to to make the blood rush to his head as he tried to sleep.

For such a despicable unfounded, cowardly and unproven load of rubbish you posted, you should be totally ashamed.

Just another right wing red neck bigot. Go join the Putin propaganda department. In Russia where you belong.

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One of the largest difference between those two men, is that one of them is worth as much as $40 billion, with no debt. And he is a bona fide dictator, who wields tremendous power, and possesses great intelligence. The other, is worth a couple of billion, with $680 million in debt and wants to be a dictator, but wields the little power he has with a tremendous lack of grace and dignity, and cannot help but put his foot in his mouth, and shoot himself in the foot daily. 

Yeah, Putin gained his cash via legal means... well, sort of, since he is the legislative, judicial & executive branches rolled into one ... humorous and off topic post vs, the stated original entry in this thread... what a criterion to employ as a means of comparison... thanks

Edited by Ramen087

14 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

His concrete bed was tilted at 30 degrees to to make the blood rush to his head as he tried to sleep.

For such a despicable unfounded, cowardly and unproven load of rubbish you posted, you should be totally ashamed.

Just another right wing red neck bigot. Go join the Putin propaganda department. In Russia where you belong.

Thank you. I always wonder how an armchair prisoner like Sebastion would react, when captured, tortured, and imprisoned for six years. He would probably squeal like a pig, daily, and tell the enemy everything he knows in a nanosecond. For cowards like him, and Cheeto, and others who question McCains' courage under fire, I say you do not have the right to even discuss this man, nor what he went through. Though he is getting a bit long on the tooth these days, he served with distinction, and was a model of courage under fire. 

14 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Nonsense.

Sidney Schanberg's  massively documented expose about McCain's role in the POW/MIA cover up is a mountain of hard evidence gathered by one of America's greatest wartime journalists, a Pulitzer Prize winning former top editor at the New York Times. In the years since then, other leading journalists have praised Schanberg's remarkable research, now giving his conclusions the combined backing of four New York Times Pulitzer Prizes, while two former Republican Congressmen who had served on the Intelligence Committee have also strongly corroborated his account.

McCain created his own myth about his wartime detention.

He was a collaborator by all credible accounts.

10 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Nonsense.

Sidney Schanberg's  massively documented expose about McCain's role in the POW/MIA cover up is a mountain of hard evidence gathered by one of America's greatest wartime journalists, a Pulitzer Prize winning former top editor at the New York Times. In the years since then, other leading journalists have praised Schanberg's remarkable research, now giving his conclusions the combined backing of four New York Times Pulitzer Prizes, while two former Republican Congressmen who had served on the Intelligence Committee have also strongly corroborated his account.

McCain created his own myth about his wartime detention.

He was a collaborator by all credible accounts.

Yet his fellow inmates all praised him. Perhaps they were also collaborators, the whole incarcerated lot of them. He never went back to USA before any of the other prisoners. Just muckraking

I like McCain.  He's a good American, but is getting old, and should step aside and let some younger blood take his seat.   He's made some dumb decisions in recent years (Sarah Palin as VP, for example), and recently contradicted himself within one sentence.  On the good side, he's a voice of reason among a Republican sea of ignorance which is shielding The Divider at all costs.   

Im stunned at the general level of ignorance on this thread.

I watched the first episode of the putin interviews and found him to be a shy, but personable and  and intellectually superior man compared to most world leaders. His knowledge of geo politics is breathtaking. A difficult man to talk to since he is naturally cagey(B) but stone played the dumb interviewer really well…cant imagine some idiot at cnn or fox getting the same results. Given the general intellect levels and dogmas on this board, I am sure Stone will now be painted as some sort of anti american.

cant wait for the remaining episodes.

Edited by JHolmesJr

On 06/09/2017 at 10:28 AM, Sydebolle said:

I salute Putin for his patience; the Americans behave like little kindergarteners once the teacher has left the class room. It takes brainless, diplomatically total ignorance to tickle the Russians by posting 4'000 American troops at the Polish/Russian border.

McCain should attend to his grandkids, if any, or do something else befitting his age and experience - everything else is third grade Hollywood material. 

Seems the request came from Poland. Are you saying they are brainless?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10737838/Ukraine-crisis-Poland-asks-Nato-to-station-10000-troops-on-its-territory.html

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Yes, bloody brainless 

I'm guessing you are not familiar with Poland's past? LOL

Memories are long in that region. For good reasons.

And of course there are the current Russian aggressions in Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia. But yes, brainless. LOL

Since this topic was borne, my opinion of McCain has plummeted, and here's why.

Two times this week, on two different days, at different Congressional meetings, McCain showed what an old fuddy-duddy he is.  He interrupted a woman Senator on each day, as she was asking tough questions of the men at the hearing.  McCain didn't make any noise when men on the Committee were tendering tough questions.   .....only when the woman did so.   McCain isn't even an official member of that Committee.  Instead he was invited to attend as an outside guest.   Yet, he rudely shut down the tough questions by the female Senator, thereby shielding his fellow Republican law-breakers from having to answer.