Aussies in Chum Phae?

Nemises

Before deciding to live in Chum Phae ask yourself why? What kind of life will you have there? Very few (if any) faring there,  just your gf family. 

Better off in one of the bigger neighbouring towns,  LK,  Udon,  Loei and Phetchabun.  Close enough to be in Chum Phae in an hour or two so your gf can visit her family but you will have expat company,  better food choices,  services,  everything!  

Don'take the mistake of living with a Thai family in a place like that. Recipe for disaster. 

• Like 2

Before deciding to live in Chum Phae ask yourself why? What kind of life will you have there? Very few (if any) faring there,  just your gf family. 

Better off in one of the bigger neighbouring towns,  LK,  Udon,  Loei and Phetchabun.  Close enough to be in Chum Phae in an hour or two so your gf can visit her family but you will have expat company,  better food choices,  services,  everything!  

Don'take the mistake of living with a Thai family in a place like that. Recipe for disaster. 

Good advice.

I've been married to my Thai wife for nearly 30 years, and the both of us have worked together in 4 countries.

So we know each other fairly well, but living in small place like we do (outside Kuchinari ), is a challenge.

I was have also worked in Thailand for 8 years.

Never the less, you will probably do it.

If you do it, don't build for a few years till you get the feel for life there.
Just look around for other falang houses and prepare to buy them when their relationship goes sour. Good savings.[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Those houses will never be for sale, already claimed by others who have waited patiently. 

No, they do get sold, depending on circustances.
One sold a few km from us for B 1300000. Nice house on a few ry with fruit trees. They wanted B 1500000.

For many years there was "Bens Bar".

He was an Aussie and a good host.

Unfortunately he moved away some 2 (?) years ago to a place about 50 km from C.P.

As I am Swiss (German language) and not living in C.P. directly, so I am not too familiar with the (English speaking) expat scene.

There are a few (handful?) of meeting places (bars, restaurants).

One spot that you can visit and ask the host is the "Joker bar" which is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/TV8wRV7RxnA2

On Friday evening they close a major road for a "walking street" (no resemblance to Pattaya :biggrin:). It's kind of a street market, some music etc.

You can just walk there and look around for places (Pizza restaurant e.g.) and see where the foreigners meet).

It's the street where a couple of offices are, among them the Department of Land Transport (motor vehicle office). I guess your wife should quickly find out.

This street:

https://goo.gl/maps/6cANFdbBVsG2

Go there tonight around sundown.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

The only quality Aussies I know live in Isaan.
Is this place in Isaan?

:biggrin:

Isan covers about one third of Thailand.

And yes, Chum Phae is a small spot in the center.

For many years there was "Bens Bar".
He was an Aussie and a good host.
Unfortunately he moved away some 2 (?) years ago to a place about 50 km from C.P.

As I am Swiss (German language) and not living in C.P. directly, so I am not too familiar with the (English speaking) expat scene.
There are a few (handful?) of meeting places (bars, restaurants).
One spot that you can visit and ask the host is the "Joker bar" which is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/TV8wRV7RxnA2

On Friday evening they close a major road for a "walking street" (no resemblance to Pattaya :biggrin:). It's kind of a street market, some music etc.
You can just walk there and look around for places (Pizza restaurant e.g.) and see where the foreigners meet).
It's the street where a couple of offices are, among them the Department of Land Transport (motor vehicle office). I guess your wife should quickly find out.
This street:
https://goo.gl/maps/6cANFdbBVsG2
Go there tonight around sundown.

Many thanks KhunBENQ. I look forward to checking out both of these venues!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 8 months later...

Thought it better to revitalise an old thread than start a new one.

Are there any expats on here in the Chum Phae area?  Who can offer advice as and when.  I see a few in Tesco and Makro.   Are there any reguar meets up? Beer, coffee, food etc.  Places to frequent?   Any  bikers?  

I have been coming to this area on and off for 3 years now but still fairly new to the area.

I work away but we are  building a house about 10k's south west of Chum Phae towards the end of the year and have a small apartment in BKK till the house is done.

Wayne

Edited by Caps

On ‎09‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 2:27 PM, carlyai said:

I thought KuchinarI was the centre? emoji39.png

I'm sorry to say, but Maha Sarakham is more or less in the center of Isaan. Chum Phae is to the east of Khon Kaen and on the edge of Isaan.  

• Like 1

On ‎10‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Gregster said:

Many thanks KhunBENQ. I look forward to checking out both of these venues!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have a good friend from Norway living in Chum Phae. He has been living there for many years and he says there are some expats from different countries. 

There are a few expats around Chumpae. Most live outside of town and come into town. Usually a lot of expats show up at Tomas's (Musikaffe) bar at around 5:00 on Fridays. Joes bar is on Walking street and usually get some expats on Friday nights. Joker Bar gets people on Saturday afternoons for a pool tournament. All serve food. Jang's Homemade next door to Tomas's is run by the wife of an Aussie and has excellent food. That is about it for the bar scene there.

• Thanks 1

A number of Aussie (& other) expats also frequent Kevs Steakhouse every Friday night. Type “steak Kev” into FB for his address and pics.
There’s another expat bar/dine/pool table just up from Kevs called Adams Bar- owned by an Aussie as well.

• Thanks 1

On 22/02/2018 at 5:37 PM, Caps said:

Thought it better to revitalise an old thread than start a new one.

Are there any expats on here in the Chum Phae area?  Who can offer advice as and when.  I see a few in Tesco and Makro.   Are there any reguar meets up? Beer, coffee, food etc.  Places to frequent?   Any  bikers?  

I have been coming to this area on and off for 3 years now but still fairly new to the area.

I work away but we are  building a house about 10k's south west of Chum Phae towards the end of the year and have a small apartment in BKK till the house is done.

Wayne

Depends what sort of " Bikers" you are looking for Bandidos have a chapter in khon kaen.

On 28/02/2018 at 9:36 PM, starky said:

Depends what sort of " Bikers" you are looking for Bandidos have a chapter in khon kaen.

Nope, not that kind of bikers

• Haha 1