Rossi "not very happy" with MotoGP's likely Thailand race

rooster59

Buri Ram track ‘very boring’ for champ Rossi

By The Nation

c353b5d678b3acf9a314d906256dd1dd.jpeg

Nine-time World Grand Prix winner Valentino Rossi dismissed the Buriram International Circuit as “not interesting”, as Thailand bids to host its maiden MotoGP at the venue in October next year, according to an article on www.motorsport.com on Thursday.

The Italian star visited the circuit two years ago for a promotional activity with his sponsor Yamaha and was not happy with the venue, according to his interview with the website journalist.

“The track is not interesting. It’s very boring, has not a lot of corners, just long straights. I think it’s not the best place to go. And also where is the track is quite bad, it’s far from everything,” he said in the article.

Thailand earlier this month got the green light from MotoGP promoter Dorna Sport to host the world’s premier motorcycle racing event from 2018-20. The first edition will be held from October 5-7 next year. Thailand will have to pay Bt400 million as licence fee for three years. Bt100 million is being raised from the public sector and the rest from the private sector.

The 38-year-old Italian was also quoted as saying: “So I’m not very happy to go to Thailand, essentially, on that track. But if we have to go, we’ll go.”

Buriram is the only racing circuit in Thailand which meets FIM standards and has hosted international races such as the World Super Bike, Asia Road Racing and GT Series Asia. – The Nation

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sports/30317705

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-10

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a multiple World champion tells you this place is not suitable for a Moto GP race they had better listen. Having been to the circuit, having rode the circuit, having seen just how far out of the way Buriram is Rossi is not just talking out of his arse. Newin and all his money cannot change the facts nor dispute Rossi's expert opinion.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Buriram is the only racing circuit in Thailand which meets FIM standards and has hosted international races such as the World Super Bike, Asia Road Racing and GT Series Asia.

So what happened to the "Bira" racing circuit in Chonburi wasn't that billed as an international world stardard track ?

41 minutes ago, johng said:

So what happened to the "Bira" racing circuit in Chonburi wasn't that billed as an international world stardard track ?

It has long straights and not many corners! :whistling: 

Valentino Rossi is a very technical rider, the circuit in Buriram is more about speed and will favor the Ducati riders who have much higher maximum speed and power. The Honda's and Yamaha are build to perform excellent in and out of corners, braking and overall stability...

Like Mugello in Italy, it's difficult to win on a slower motorcycle...

Another thing to make Valentino Rossi love a racing circuit is if he can take his dog with him, what happens often... You can even know when he has his dog with him at the race track as he will wear an different patch ....

index.jpg

cane-guido-valentino-rossi.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

1 minute ago, Richard-BKK said:

Another thing to make Valentino Rossi love a racing circuit is if he can take his dog with him, what happens often... You can even know when he has his dog with him at the race track as he will wear an different patch ....

index.jpg

Are there no restrictions/quarantine on bringing dogs and other domestic animals into Thailand?

1 hour ago, Richard-BKK said:

Valentino Rossi is a very technical rider, the circuit in Buriram is more about speed and will favor the Ducati riders who have much higher maximum speed and power. The Honda's and Yamaha are build to perform excellent in and out of corners, braking and overall stability...

Like Mugello in Italy, it's difficult to win on a slower motorcycle...

Sour grapes by the sound of it. If the Buriram track favours all but himself then he slags it. IMHO there needs to be a wide range of different circuits for grand prix racing in order to give a fair opportunity to all riders and  their machines.

Certainly the actual track was a little ropey and bumpy in the first year but that's been sorted now. It's a good place for the fans to watch as you can see the whole track from the grandstand. They might need to sort out their marshalling though as Somchai on his moped isn't really international standard.

I'll go with Rossi on this one and won't be racing my Honda wave on Newins circuit any time soon. Frankly, if it were all just very tight corners and no straights at all we might be able to compete with the Ducatis etc.

54 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

What does he mean it's in the middle of nowhere. There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants in Buriram.  Nice hotels also and always beautiful Thai ladies .

What's wrong with this guy ? ? ?.

Nothing wrong with Vale. He's a Racer, not a Barstool Hero........

45 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

What does he mean it's in the middle of nowhere. There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants in Buriram.  Nice hotels also and always beautiful Thai ladies .

What's wrong with this guy ? ? ?.

Valentino Rossi, is the Highest-Paid Athletes Over The Past Decade. And that is without his on the side activity... Which likely is also a few million green per month...

The Thai customs had informed on his last visit that his dog needed to stay 30 days in guaranty...

2 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

index.jpg

Valentino Rossi is know for doing things his own way, I can remember that after the nuclear disaster at Fukushima, Japan… He asked a private team of experts to travel to the Motegi race track in Japan to test if it was safe enough for him to go…

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Sour grapes by the sound of it. If the Buriram track favours all but himself then he slags it. IMHO there needs to be a wide range of different circuits for grand prix racing in order to give a fair opportunity to all riders and  their machines.

Yes, but he is correct concerning access.

5 hours ago, idman said:

When a multiple World champion tells you this place is not suitable for a Moto GP race they had better listen.

I was listening, but even after reading the OP 5 times, I couldn't find where he said the circuit was not suitable.

What he sounded like was that of a spoiled kid, which he probably is.

56 minutes ago, khunken said:

This is what he was quoted as saying:

“The track is not interesting. It’s very boring, has not a lot of corners, just long straights. I think it’s not the best place to go. And also where is the track is quite bad, it’s far from everything,” he said in the article.

Basically he didn't like it and, given his record & experience, he is entitled to express his opinion.

I suspect that either jealousy or ignorance led to your last stupid comment.

papa listened too.

He definitely did not say the track was 'not suitable.'

He knows sanctioning bodies and management determine that.

Wait, are "not suitable" and "not liking" synonymous?

Maybe, but not in the online thesaurus checked.

Certainly not the first time for 46 whining.

/////////////

Oh!

i have a dog he can use while here, 

[Female actually, so bitch.

Dog denotes male canid.]

I guess all elite sportsmen and women have opinions about the outdoor venues they compete at. Depends on whether the venue suits their style of play, or riding, or driving.

Was not very tactful for a world champ to make negative comments about a new untried venue. He could have been a bit more diplomatic with his words .... "well, Buriram doesn't really suit the Yamaha, or my style of riding, but we'll certainly give it our 100% commitment " would have been better.

The winner of the 2018 Thai MotoGP will probably have a beaut opinion of the circuit.

For Valentino Rossi access to the race track probably means that he cannot land his plane close enough. With U-Tapao International Airport getting a upgrade this year that will maybe change…

You do know there's an airport at Buriram which should take international flights from next year?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app