are water monitors protected species?

Notanigerian

My dog caught a four foot long water monitor and killed it.

The <deleted> has been sneaking in and eating all the fish in my pond, so I'm glad she got it, but now I'm wondering how to dispose of it.

Are they protected at all? Can I just throw it in the trash or should I double bag it and go leave it in a nearby trash pile not right out side my house?

Fire up the barbie.

I'm pretty sure they're not protected, talk to your village head, he should know how to dispose of the evidence body remains.

Wifey would just bung it in the khlong, plenty of critters in there to recycle it.

18 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Yes, they are a protected species in Thailand. 

Even if they are, our OP isn't going to get in trouble, his dog killed it. Doesn't stop the locals eating them either.

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Even if they are, our OP isn't going to get in trouble, his dog killed it. Doesn't stop the locals eating them either.

Agreed. I was just answering the question. Apparently they were in trouble before receiving protected status but have now recovered to almost become a pest in some areas.

2 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Agreed. I was just answering the question. Apparently they were in trouble before receiving protected status but have now recovered to almost become a pest in some areas.

They are certainly a  pest. I had 40 goldfish in my pond, I'm down to 5. I never saw it either.

Glad my dog finally caught him in the act, it had no chance. She's a good girl.

Edited by Notanigerian

Give it to the locals, we have them 2m long here and I was told the meat is 200 baht a kilo.

When you first see them you think it's a crocodile or a komodo dragon.

Edited by sandrabbit

3 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

You dog is cute <3

Don't talk to anyone, with all the retards around you never know what can happen, put the corpse in trash.

Good advice. All these talking to neighbours waste your time. Just drop it in the bin.

What a coincidence: today one of our dogs barked very loud (other sound than when there is a snake in the garden) and when I arrived to check what happened, I saw a 1.5m long water monitor in the garden.

I was afraid for my dog.

Although I am champion in catching snakes, I couldn't take it on me to catch the monitor. I know they are very fast and will be difficult to keep at the end of the catcher stick and alone I have no chance to catch it alive.

I tried to keep my dog away from it because even if they have no poison, their mouth water is full of bacteria and their teeth are very sharp.
While the GF called the rescue to come help, it started to move. My dog lost itself from my arms and ran behind the monitor. The beast ran and climbed  as fast as it ran the 1.8m high wall and disappeared in the swamp behind our house.

I'd like to know what kind of dog the OP has. Mine are a mix of Labrador and Thai dogs. Their size are 58 cm (6 yo) and 60cm (1.5 yo) at the shoulder (both female) but anyway I was scared anything could happen to them.

By the way, GF says that killing a monitor should give bad karma... :whistling:

(but we never kill animals we catch, we let them free far away from home)

Hiia 01.jpg

Hiia 02.jpg

15 hours ago, Jedsada3 said:

What a coincidence: today one of our dogs barked very loud (other sound than when there is a snake in the garden) and when I arrived to check what happened, I saw a 1.5m long water monitor in the garden.

I was afraid for my dog.

Although I am champion in catching snakes, I couldn't take it on me to catch the monitor. I know they are very fast and will be difficult to keep at the end of the catcher stick and alone I have no chance to catch it alive.

I tried to keep my dog away from it because even if they have no poison, their mouth water is full of bacteria and their teeth are very sharp.
While the GF called the rescue to come help, it started to move. My dog lost itself from my arms and ran behind the monitor. The beast ran and climbed  as fast as it ran the 1.8m high wall and disappeared in the swamp behind our house.

I'd like to know what kind of dog the OP has. Mine are a mix of Labrador and Thai dogs. Their size are 58 cm (6 yo) and 60cm (1.5 yo) at the shoulder (both female) but anyway I was scared anything could happen to them.

By the way, GF says that killing a monitor should give bad karma... :whistling:

(but we never kill animals we catch, we let them free far away from home)

Hiia 01.jpg

Hiia 02.jpg

That one looks a bit bigger than the one mine caught.

ezgif-3-4380b4ccc9.gif

She's a 7 month old doberman, weighs about 30kg so far, so the lizard didnt have much chance. though you can see she got a scratch on her nose and was bleeding a little.

By the time I heard the commotion and ran out there the lizard was done for.

21 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Your angry because the Monitor lizard was eating your fish in the pond but luckily enough your Dog killed it 

Fortunate  :cheesy:  Yea right your dog did it Tell it to the judge 

yeah I just made my dog bleed for no reason, get a grip.

3 hours ago, Notanigerian said:

i think it whipped her nose with it's tail, she was bleeding a little bit, but just a scratch, didn't look like a bite (was just a line) so either claw or tail. I put antibiotic cream on it for 24 hours and it's all healed up now.

She is really cute ! Now I know why guys choose younger girls !

:-)

Right down the road many years ago. The villagers threw this lizard in the Nan River and said it wasn't good to eat. Normally, these lizards are only killed when chickens start disappearing.

Sorry for the lousy pic, but it was my first digital camera.

water monitor.jpg

Edited by missoura