SURVEY: Should Thailand require Health Insurance for Foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• All foreigners should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • Those entering as a tourist should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • Those on a visa that permits longer stay than a tourist should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • No one should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.

This poll is closed to new votes

The government recently indicated that it may require health insurance for tourists.   In your opinion which, if any, of these categories should be required to have health/accident insurance.

Please feel free to leave a comment

For reference, here are two threads:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this topic is not something that can be explored with a mere four answer choices, as it is far too complex. However, it is my personal opinion that every visitor or long-term resident has the duty to ensure that they are adequately covered in consideration of the fact that sh*t can - and frequently does - happen in Thailand.

Yet the demographic of short-term visitors (i.e. vacationers) is just too broad for an on-the-spot insurance solution that fits all: Tour groups, of various descriptions  fully independent tourists, businessmen, visitors who require visas, those who can get a visa on arrival, etc., etc.

Checking everybody on arrival at Thailand's airports and if needed basically force them to take out an insurance policy on the spot will cause utter chaos and let immigration cues grow miles long. Not to mention that long-term residents who are already insured will have to unfairly suffer through hours of standing in line together with the plebs who took the unwise decision to save themselves the few measly bucks a good travel insurance costs nowadays. 

On the other hand, I see no problem that foreigners applying for long-term visas (or renewing their extension of stay) should be required to present proof of adequate health insurance together with their application. They already need to submit a tremendous amount of paperwork anyway, so adding a photocopy of their valid health insurance policy should pose no major inconvenience.  And let's face it: If you are living in Thailand without proper health and/or accident insurance, you are taking a huge risk for life and limb!    

At 79, on retirement extension, impossible to get insurance. I have an emergency fund, but wife borrows into it, so no proof in a bank account. I'd be stuck if they brought this in. I don't have the option of returning to UK, aim to see my life out here.

3 minutes ago, maybefitz said:

At 79, on retirement extension, impossible to get insurance. I have an emergency fund, but wife borrows into it, so no proof in a bank account. I'd be stuck if they brought this in. I don't have the option of returning to UK, aim to see my life out here.

So what R U going to do if U have a serious accident , which I might add I hope U don't  and U find out your account is run down .

^This!

While I can see the need to have some kind of insurance, affordable insurance for those over 60 needs to be available! 

Others have pointed out that medical insurance is required for visits to the Schengen countries.  There are a number of companies offering this insurance WITH THE SAME PRICE FOR ALL:  about 1,200 baht for 30 days or about 14,000 baht per year.

If something like this was available at the airport for incoming visitors and for expats renewing their visas, I think everyone would be able to pay.

As stated this could and will be a nightmare at arrivals.

There is an easy  solution that can be arrived at.

A seperate set of kiosks can and should be established by 3 major Thai insurance companies.  They should be allowed to charge more than an american or British company would charged for the same fees.  This is to encourage people to get it at home.

There should be one time fees for each type of visa  For instance 30 day should be X  90 day should be 4X payable in full by cash or credit cards.

From there they are given a slip that they can show immigration and can be checked on the computer if necessary.

If they do not have the paper or proof then they are simply told to go and get it.

People like us that are here on long term visa's should be allowed to go through the Thai system instead of the tourist as we have long term permissions.

Have police or military at the entrance so that if anyone starts to argue they are simply taken away before they have a chance to screw it up.

Sticky wicket. Other countries require health coverage before granting of Visa. VOA is a logistical problem for sure. Airlines checking onward ticket already for VOA...maybe seeing insurance proof also? Sorry but no health insurance policy covering me on Retirement Extension. Exclusions and cost makes it meaningless. Now, I am not saying nothing can be done. I am thinking that the Thai government, wanting to attract more tourists and retirees might well devise policies to meet the most critical needs.

A simple solution for us old timers is going to be difficult but I think to start with the idea that the policy is DNR would help.  By that I am looking at the person that has long term injuries that they will not survive.or will leave them a cripple.

I think there should be a plan for heart attacks, and injuries.  As a diabetic and former suicide attempter it is impossible for me to get anything other than military coverage which i must pay then claim.

The issue then becomes how to claim if I am in hospital.  

We should all be required to show a plan in the event that we are hospitalized of how we are going to make the payments.

For me it is my credit card and atm cards.

48 minutes ago, schweizer said:

I understand that for many people its an expensive proposition, but if someone had a long term visa for my country, work or retirement, they would be required by law to show proof of health insurance,

For many people like myself, it is impossible to get insurance because of prior medical problems. I retired out here at 60 having had 2 major life saving operations whilst on holiday here 2 years before moving here. They were covered by travel insurance via my bank debit card, which I had used to buy my tickets. Now I am here permanently, I cannot get insurance because they will not cover me. Luckily I have a trust fund which is there if I required it. I am sure there will be others in the same situation.

And for tourists, then many will be covered by the card they use to purchase their tickets or they can buy insurance at very reasonable rates which would not be a problem. 

Any foreigner living here long term and MARRIED to a Thai, should automatically have access to the Thai system for medical coverage..

Thats the way it works in most countries as far as i know....If she is your wife (Husnband) then it's natural to be included in the country's system, of that person....if not, why not?

Insurance would be nice if the government or some agency would provide insurance available to everyone of any age at a reasonable cost.

Requiring visitors to provide proof of insurance would certainly discourage many from visiting Thailand and might result in visitors turned away at the airport.

Perhaps TAT might have some input.

Others have pointed out that medical insurance is required for visits to the Schengen countries.  There are a number of companies offering this insurance WITH THE SAME PRICE FOR ALL:  about 1,200 baht for 30 days or about 14,000 baht per year.
The Schengen requirement isn't for all travellers to the Schengen Area, it's only for visa nationals and not even to those if they are married to, and travelling with or joining, an EU National.

Insurance is of course highly recommended and, as you say, very reasonably priced.

Any option other than yes long time visa holders needs a form of ability to pay hospital bills leaves Thailand open to freeloaders at gov hospitals.

Face it Thailand does not attract the cream of the crop of humans from any country

Why should Thailand suffer for it ?

If as some say they are too old or have prior conditions then they need to buy insurance from another country that reimburses Thailand

or as a last resort need to have a sizable cash account locked by Thailand till you leave period

To the guy who said he needs to sell cars/land etc to replace the 600k :whistling:

Man take a look at the reality of today's prices for major surgeries even in Thailand

Price a heart attack or a pace maker or a stroke & see how far 600k goes.

Not to mention who is going to wait while you sell things? In this market??

This is a perfect example of why Thailand needs to move ahead with enforced insurance or a

much larger locked amount in bank than needed for visa renewal. Even if they say the 800k needs to remain

in account would be a start

Last but not least all this talk about they should make insurance available & affordable?

Wake up....go to any other country & price it. Or go home to a welfare State & get on the list

Has anyone any idea who does the 14,000 baht one for all insurance and if there are any age limits ?  By the way I hate being pessimistic but I hope the gentleman whose wife 'borrowed' 600,000 from his bank account doesn't fall ill anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, dorayme said:

Insurance would be nice if the government or some agency would provide insurance available to everyone of any age at a reasonable cost.

Requiring visitors to provide proof of insurance would certainly discourage many from visiting Thailand and might result in visitors turned away at the airport.

I totally agree with this.  I want to live in Thailand permanently and have only ever claimed on travel insurance once, when I visited Thailand in 1979, for a broken tooth.  My last two visits, 6 months and 9 months have been claim free as have trips to other countries.  I am in good health but at 71 find health insurance costs prohibitive.  If there was health insurance available at a reasonable cost in Thailand I would buy it instead of having to take out travel insurance for the duration of my visit and return home to take out more before I return.  Companies that sell health insurance to expats don't seem to take into account the cheaper cost of treatment in Thailand, e.g. I paid for a hernia operation (pre-existing condition for which I was on a 12 month waiting list back home) in Bangkok that cost 26,400 baht (1,000 AUD) including 3 nights in hospital.  Back home I was told it would have been  4,500 AUD at a private hospital.  I would suggest a system where the visitor is required to take out short term travel insurance to allow time to take out health insurance in Thailand if it was available.  Long term visitors and retirees should be allowed to opt into a health insurance system in Thailand at reasonable cost provided they are in reasonably good health on arrival.  After all they are contributing to the economy of the country even if not paying tax.

I think the Thai Government should offer entry into the 30 Baht scheme for say over 60s long term extension holders (over 5 yrs) at about 25000 a year, affordable  and ensuring an income to the health service and I'm sure many would join despite not having used the hospital for years.

As we all know insurance is getting out of reach of many but this would ensure a steady income for them and heath cover for the long term expat to continue spending his pension here.

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

So what R U going to do if U have a serious accident , which I might add I hope U don't  and U find out your account is run down .

If the 'serious accident' is a motor vehicle accident for example, then in the case of an expat resident, appropriate motor insurance rather than medical insurance covers it.  Hopefully at his age he has more sense than to jet-ski :-)

13 minutes ago, meechai said:

Any option other than yes long time visa holders needs a form of ability to pay hospital bills leaves Thailand open to freeloaders at gov hospitals.

Face it Thailand does not attract the cream of the crop of humans from any country

Why should Thailand suffer for it ?

If as some say they are too old or have prior conditions then they need to buy insurance from another country that reimburses Thailand

or as a last resort need to have a sizable cash account locked by Thailand till you leave period

To the guy who said he needs to sell cars/land etc to replace the 600k :whistling:

Man take a look at the reality of today's prices for major surgeries even in Thailand

Price a heart attack or a pace maker or a stroke & see how far 600k goes.

Not to mention who is going to wait while you sell things? In this market??

This is a perfect example of why Thailand needs to move ahead with enforced insurance or a

much larger locked amount in bank than needed for visa renewal. Even if they say the 800k needs to remain

in account would be a start

Last but not least all this talk about they should make insurance available & affordable?

Wake up....go to any other country & price it. Or go home to a welfare State & get on the list

You have a good point but I wonder why the welfare states that have very long hospital waiting lists don't actually encourage people to have treatment overseas.  After all, if it actually costs as much as they say to treat someone why not let them be treated overseas and foot the bill for the patient up to what it would cost to have the treatment done at home?  It may even save them money and there could be the expectation of a co-payment from the patient who would be saved the expense of a return flight for treatment.

Enter without Insurance Card should be impossible. To check this by entry Passportcontrol is not that Problem. Many exaggerate here. A lot Foreigners here have no insurance and make their problem to the problem of Thailand Health System.

Edited by ujayujay

It's all very well saying that 'everyone must have insurance', but as already pointed out, anyone over 60 will find it both difficult and expensive to get any insurance, and if they have any pre-existing conditions, it becomes almost impossible. And how many people who come to Thailand are over 60? A high percentage, I would imagine. And they probably put more into the Thai economy than young families who don't have the same disposable income.

I said this in the other thread, but the only way I see around it is to have a mandatory fee that must be paid on entry (or exit, which might be easier) by everyone - 500 Baht perhaps (500 Baht X 30 million visitors = 15 billion Baht) which would cover everyone for basic healthcare at a state hospital. The majority of visitors would prefer to have insurance that will provide a higher level of care in a private hospital, so only a small percentage would, if the need arose, have to be treated under the state scheme.

It's not a perfect system, but 500 Baht is not so much that people would refuse to pay (or refuse to come to Thailand). We used to have a 500 Baht departure tax, and everyone just paid it. We may have grumbled a bit, but it wasn't a bank-breaking sum.

Also, the idea of having to check everyone's insurance is just a non-starter.

8 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

It's all very well saying that 'everyone must have insurance', but as already pointed out, anyone over 60 will find it both difficult and expensive to get any insurance, and if they have any pre-existing conditions, it becomes almost impossible. And how many people who come to Thailand are over 60? A high percentage, I would imagine. And they probably put more into the Thai economy than young families who don't have the same disposable income.

I said this in the other thread, but the only way I see around it is to have a mandatory fee that must be paid on entry (or exit, which might be easier) by everyone - 500 Baht perhaps (500 Baht X 30 million visitors = 15 billion Baht) which would cover everyone for basic healthcare at a state hospital. The majority of visitors would prefer to have insurance that will provide a higher level of care in a private hospital, so only a small percentage would, if the need arose, have to be treated under the state scheme.

It's not a perfect system, but 500 Baht is not so much that people would refuse to pay (or refuse to come to Thailand). We used to have a 500 Baht departure tax, and everyone just paid it. We may have grumbled a bit, but it wasn't a bank-breaking sum.

Also, the idea of having to check everyone's insurance is just a non-starter.

.....so you want to make your Problem for not have a Insurance to a Problem for Thai Gouverment?

Just now, ujayujay said:

.....so you want to make your Problem for not have a Insurance to a Problem for Thai Gouverment?

If you read what I've written, I suggested a system whereby the Thai government takes 15 billion baht per annum to cover basic hospital costs. They should end up with a profit, not a loss.

53 minutes ago, dorayme said:

Thai government or some agency provided insurance might actually increase visitor numbers. Think of all those people who cannot get their own insurance due to age or medical history. They could come to Thailand, buy insurance at the airport and then have that heart by-pass they have been waiting for.

Count me in!

TBH, it's a very broad and complicated topic, even more so to put it into practise. 

I personally think that all 'tourists' with a stay of under 60 days should have mandatory travel insurance regardless of age. This could be checked at the check-in desk at the original point of departure? No insurance, no flight. It's not expensive!

Those on METV and Non Imm O should have travel insurance valid for the length of their visa. 

Those on extensions of stay based on marriage should be included in the Thai system.

Those on extensions of stay based on retirement should have  basic healthcare insurance provided by the Thai authorities at an affordable cost ( based on the more you claim, the more you pay). Or provide their own insurance. (policy or available money in a Thai Bank)  

I think it's all talk anyway and it will never happen, too much work involved. 

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

^This!

While I can see the need to have some kind of insurance, affordable insurance for those over 60 needs to be available! 

If something like this was available at the airport for incoming visitors and for expats renewing their visas, I think everyone would be able to pay.

Those prices wouldn't cover administration costs.  What sort of cover does a policy costing so little provide?  I'm guessing not much.

Once again, those who provide for themselves are penalized. Hospital costs are higher than they need be so that emergency treatment can be given to those too miserable and/or irresponsible to take cover. 

Edited by F4UCorsair

Agree completely that a scheme in which 500 Baht per year is paid to cover medical expenses is a fair way to handle this situation. It could also be tacked onto the extension of stay for married and retired long stayers.  The first year could be a no claim year while the monies built up in the system. After that, the system will generate profit- year after year.

Lets look at the number-   500 Baht x 30 Million  people entering or extending = 15 Billion Baht which = 450 million US Dollars.   Let's say 5,000 foreigners per year have a catastrophic accident or disease which costs 1 Million Baht. This equals  a 5 Billion Baht expenditure per year- with a profit of 10 Billion Baht which stays in the fund and increases year by year.

Medical Care is a human right- and costs much less in Thailand. One would think Western governments- always complaining about budget shortfalls- would be glad to have their citizens retire or live and be treated medically in a country like Thailand where the medical costs are so much less. Unfortunately, they don't because they are part of the greedy cabal that consists of big insurance; big pharma that are keeping medical cost s high worldwide.Even under many  Western healthcare schemes which are single payer- much of the needed equipment and pharmaceutical drugs come from companies that are fixing prices way too high -continually driving the costs up. Until governments get some backbone and refuse to pay these prices - nothing will change.

I am really hopeful Thailand does not fall prey to the American system of medicine which is an example of the worst type of administration of life saving services to its population. A simple 500 Baht charge will suffice for catastrophic coverage. Routine coverage for a minor hospital visit is paid out of pocket. It's all workable once you take profit and greed out of the equation.