Att: U.S. Citizens... S.S. 'Are you alive?' letters are out.

31 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I'll send it back on Monday via EMS so that there will be a tracking number on it.

It's one letter that I definitely do NOT want to get lost!

I see no reason to mail it it by EMS the first time since you will get another one in about 3 months if they don't get 1st one.

The last 3 years I have sent it by regular international mail without a problem. One time I only got the 2nd notice and sent it by EMS to be sure it got there.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I see no reason to mail it it by EMS the first time since you will get another one in about 3 months if they don't get 1st one.

The last 3 years I have sent it by regular international mail without a problem. One time I only got the 2nd notice and sent it by EMS to be sure it got there.

If you had told me that one out of the past 20 years didn't get through, I'd be inclined to agree. But one out of 3 went missing?  Thanks, but for an extra dollar or two for postage, I prefer to improve the odds with some special handling.

• Like 1

amazing that paper letters are used.  So easy to fake.  So easy to lose.  No record kept that reasonably shows when SSA got them or if they got them.  Poor assurance that they even get to the right place for you to fill out.  Wrong address on record, maybe you moved, mail got lost, etc.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

If you had told me that one out of the past 20 years didn't get through, I'd be inclined to agree. But one out of 3 went missing?  Thanks, but for an extra dollar or two for postage, I prefer to improve the odds with some special handling.

That was not the mailed in report. It was the first report that the SSA sent. When I have only gotten the 2nd notice I have sent it by EMS.

It is a lot more than a dollar or two more. EMS to the states costs 850 baht.

11 hours ago, orang37 said:

Several of these US/SS letters  never reached me, once resulting in my benefits being stopped. Two that I sent never reached the US, contributing to further delays in my benefits.

I think EMS in this case is a very good idea.

If you are aware that the reports are sent out in June and don't get one by September it is wise to contact the SSA in Manila. They will send you a blank one by email.

When I fill out the report and sign it I scan it and save it on my computer and the cloud. That way I could handle the problem by email by sending the copy.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a lot more than a dollar or two more. EMS to the states costs 850 baht.

The exact cost is irrelevant to me. If it cost $50 it would still be worth the peace of mind that the personal handling brings to me. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are aware that the reports are sent out in June and don't get one by September it is wise to contact the SSA in Manila. They will send you a blank one by email.

When I fill out the report and sign it I scan it and save it on my computer and the cloud. That way I could handle the problem by email by sending the copy.

I have been in Thailand one year as of this month, Manilla has my new address, and I did get confirmation on this, can I be expecting a letter this year? I guess my question is, when did you get your first letter - thank you

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

amazing that paper letters are used.  So easy to fake.  So easy to lose.  No record kept that reasonably shows when SSA got them or if they got them.  Poor assurance that they even get to the right place for you to fill out.  Wrong address on record, maybe you moved, mail got lost, etc.

The point of SSA sending the letters is to confirm if you moved or if they have the wrong address on file for you.

When we moved across town, I sent an email to SSA Manila telling them of the new address and even received a confirmation that they'd make the change.  But, sure enough somehow the address wasn't changed and Hubby's benefit was cut off for a couple months while we got it resolved.  Fortunately, we're not living from pension-check-to-pension-check and you do receive the back payment when they finally restart.

7 minutes ago, flexomike said:

I have been in Thailand one year as of this month, Manilla has my new address, and I did get confirmation on this, can I be expecting a letter this year? I guess my question is, when did you get your first letter - thank you

I applied for my social security while here through Manilla in February and got the report dated June of the same year.

I changed addresses once a month or more before June and it the report was delivered to my old address.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NancyL said:

The point of SSA sending the letters is to confirm if you moved or if they have the wrong address on file for you.

When we moved across town, I sent an email to SSA Manila telling them of the new address and even received a confirmation that they'd make the change.  But, sure enough somehow the address wasn't changed and Hubby's benefit was cut off for a couple months while we got it resolved.  Fortunately, we're not living from pension-check-to-pension-check and you do receive the back payment when they finally restart.

But that is the point.  It should not matter one iota where one lives.  The idea of the letter should be to see if one is still alive, and not dead, and that your skeleton is not the closet and somebody else is now cashing or withdrawing the benefit monies.  All that the letter process can do is mess things up, just as you reported.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

I experienced the change of address for the report myself. For some reason the change of address if you do it shortly before late May or June it does not get into the database used for the reports. Lucky for me I got the report that was still sent to my old address because the postman was holding our mail.

To me there is no reason to get in the situation of the benefits being cut off because you did not get a report unless you are not aware of them being sent out in June. If you don't get the 2nd one they send by September contact the SSA in Manilla and they will send a blank form by email for you to send.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

But that is the point.  It should not matter one iota where one lives.  The idea of the letter should be to see if one is still alive, and not dead, and that your skeleton is not the closet and somebody else is now cashing or withdrawing the benefit monies.  All that the letter process can do is mess things up, just as you reported.

Your address is important because the SSA sends more than the report to it.

It is a lot more than confirming your address. Have you ever completed the form to know what is on it? There is a lot more than just confirming your address on it.

Other countries actually do want a proof of life statement which for some can be complicated since they want it notarized and etc.

• Like 1

When Hubby's benefits were cut off, first I consulted the internet and found various versions of SSA-7162 so I consulted the Chiang Mai U.S. Consulate to see if they had the most recent version that I could send to SSA and also to confirm the correct mailing address.

The Consulated emailed me a version from 1988 that looked like a xerox-of-a-xerox-of-a-xerox-etc but at least they gave me the correct mailing mailing address.  It worked.  Six weeks later Hubby had a nice wad of money deposited.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Your address is important because the SSA sends more than the report to it.

It is a lot more than confirming your address. Have you ever completed the form to know what is on it? There is a lot more than just confirming your address on it.

Other countries actually do want a proof of life statement which for some can be complicated since they want it notarized and etc.

I understand.  I have my SSA account but have not withdrawn anything yet.  In this electronic day and age, where one can open bank accounts, transfer hundreds of thousands of dollars, relying on physical mail is just archaic.  Just like voting online.  Silly to me that we can't or are not willing to come up with a secure usable system.  Voter response would easily double.  Many people just don't vote because it is effort to find the time in a busy day.  Instead one could log on to on'es account and securely vote. 

14 minutes ago, lagarto said:

I am 66 years old living in Thailand for 26 years now, I don't even know when and where  am I suppose to apply for SS. any help please would be appreciate. 

You apply for SS benefits online or through the SSA office in Manila.

You can find info here on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/social-security/retirement-benefits/

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You apply for SS benefits online or through the SSA office in Manila.

You can find info here on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/social-security/retirement-benefits/

Since I applied late last year through Manila (application approved and been drawing benefits for over a half year now) and just finished helping another American apply through Manila (he got his first check last week), I've got a couple info items to add.

1)   Attached is the Social Security Security Claimant Info Worksheet to submit to Manila to start the application process.  Very easy.   You can submit directly to the Manila Social Security Office and/or the U.S. Bangkok Embassy American Citizen Services (ACS).   ACS does not process the worksheet but forwards it to the Manila SSO.  You may want to send it to both to play it safe.   Manila will contact you to setup a telephone interview date/time.   During the telephone interview the Manila Office will ask you a variety of questions which if you were applying online would be included in the online application.

2).  You can open the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit Account "before" even applying for Social Security Benefits and then just provide the Bangkok Bank NY branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit savings account number during the telephone interview with Manila.  This is what I did when applying as I already had a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account for many years and I just provided the info during the Manila interview.  And for the person I recently walked through the process he opened his Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account about a week before the Manila telephone interview and provided the Direct Deposit account info during the interview.  No need for the Bangkok Bank to mail the Manila Office any account paperwork although the bank will probably offer to do that for you and it wouldn't hurt anything.

And one more bit of info in case you are an "naturalized" American citizen like the friend I mentioned above I just helped, it's highly likely you will be required to show your Naturalization Certificate and/or U.S. Passport to Manila.  In my friend's case it was "either one" would suffice.  Instead of mailing your "original" Naturalization Certificate and/or U.S. Passport to Manila, you can take the document(s) to the American Embassy ACS who will copy them, certify/notarize these copies, and send the certified/notarized copies to the Manila Social Security Office....this is "free of charge" when applying for Social Security Benefits versus the normal $50 charge per notarized document. This way you don't need to put your precious "original" documents into the mail system.  This is per the Manila Social Security Office guidance provided during the telephone interview.

SOCIAL SECURITY CLAIMANT INFORMATION SHEET.docx

• Like 2
7 hours ago, lagarto said:

I am 66 years old living in Thailand for 26 years now, I don't even know when and where  am I suppose to apply for SS. any help please would be appreciate. 

The US embassy in Manilla has a Social Security service for people in Thailand