Aussie tourist suing Thai government after horrific knife attack in Phuket

webfact

As noted in The Sun, "Jamie, who was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack ..." Sound like a tourist to you? Me either. My bet is he was working on a tourist visa with no work permit.

As for no insurance, The sun noted that he "spent $10,000 of his savings (£5,900) on the treatment as he had no health insurance." Obviously could have afforded insurance - much cheaper than USD$10,000. 

Unfortunate that he was attacked but all things considered, no sympathy.

David

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no travel insurance? was he travelling or was he working, own internet cafe, was that a legal one and did he have the correct visa, strange he waited 8 years to do something about it. Will be interesting to see what comes out in the wash, definitely not enough info

19 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

As noted in The Sun, "Jamie, who was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack ..." Sound like a tourist to you? Me either. My bet is he was working on a tourist visa with no work permit.

As for no insurance, The sun noted that he "spent $10,000 of his savings (£5,900) on the treatment as he had no health insurance." Obviously could have afforded insurance - much cheaper than USD$10,000. 

David

Lets hope the same attack happens to you dave.......no sympathy

Hate to say it, but the kid has to move on.

Wasn't nice what happened but whatever pennies he may squeeze from Thai authorities should he win, will not help with the months/ years of aggravation trying. 

And Thai law has no precedent basis, so even a big win does not help those that follow.

Let it go...

Edited by optad

Even if his case actually makes it court and I'm not saying it will, I seriously doubt he has any change of winning this case.

Also has he determined the costs and time required for lawsuit, and whether or not it will be worth for compensation he is seeking for.

Edited by sitti

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Do any of you remember the Aussie woman who stole a bar towel. Even she got money from Thailand when she raised a stink. This guy has a very good chance of getting s settlement.

He won't get a 'settlement'; ie in lieu of a possible win in court against a tangible defendant.

He may qualify for thai compensation as a victim of crime which will be peanuts. 

3 hours ago, kingkenny said:

I would imagine the sun, being what can loosely be called a newspaper and being British, converted the cost for the ease of its mostly uneducated cock womble readers.

So that's most of them here in Pattaya then. ?

Well running an internet cafe in Thailand, that's where the money is at.

Found easy pussy for the first time in his life and decided to stay there, does something stupid to get his face slashed open.

Something smells fishy and it aint a thai pussy this time. 

If he is that arrogant in thinking he doesn't need health insurance, he should now swallow his pride and take the loss. He will have health insurance next time.

Really horrific thing that happened to this lad.....I do hope he recovers mentally from his ordeal.

Happened about 8 years ago and no arrests.

PS....the amount of times the writer of this article repeated themselves I thought I was tuned into Fox News.

Maybe it is time that Ozzies had to get a special visa to go overseas.

Wherever the go they seem to get into trouble. I had a few very regrettable incidents in Bali with drunk

Ozzies that ruined two of our holidays by them just being stupid, dumb, annoying & out of control.

Hence, they can have Bali  on their own now

1 hour ago, optad said:

He won't get a 'settlement'; ie in lieu of a possible win in court against a tangible defendant.

He may qualify for thai compensation as a victim of crime which will be peanuts. 

Ok say it anyway you want  but he will in all probability get the money he wants or is money the wrong word to use. As did the Aussie bar towel thief.

Edited by lovelomsak

Drunk <deleted> are a breed in any country. Take the drunk hooligan style brits who are no better. Look at some french natives of north african descent, who are equally awful. Take some species of americans who speak loudly for the whole street even when not drunk. Look at some germans when they are in their group and start screaming....look at some french people from Paris who even when in paradise beaches would claim that their beaches of France are the best....and the list can go on and on.

The point here is that there are rotten drunkards in every country, but that is not reson enough to stigmatise all the natives of any country as you have good and rotten people anyhere and everywhere in the world.

The issue would be on how the problem is being tackled by the local authorities? If the locals seem to be systematically favoured and the foreigner systematically condemned then there is a problem. If the police are totally absent or corrupt and close their eyes, then there is a problem. I am not pointing at any country in particular, but I am sure you get the point.

Don't want to appear on the side of the government but can't really see how it is there fault? Any other country in the world without a national health service you would have to pay the most he would get is criminal injuries payout in the UK but not sure that applies to foreigners - feel bad for the guy but daft not having insurance in one of the top 20 most dangerous countries in the world

Sent from my C103 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I think he will get it. Thailand will not want lose of face.Simple as that.

They will lose face if they settle, and leave themselves open to a future avalanche of claims... I don't think he'll see a single baht !

hope he can find a Thai lawyer who is not afraid of the Gov't it is a losing cause. BUT the publicity will cause someone to lose face and that is a good thing! maybe "someone" will pick up his hospital bill. the term "someone" is used to keep me safe and not being banned again!

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

oh really this is not such a big deal just like the other incident in Pattaya where another tourist was bashed up...!!!

the country needs in prioprity to deal with those over sexy busty superstars with sexy pelvic moves that make the top brass of governance, hard under their pants!!

who cares for these tourist farangs in Thailand who have "huge" amounts of money to drink and screw all those busty cuties that hang around??!!!

I don't know what you have been drinking today, but your post seems to have no relevance to anything.......so keep drinking and it seems to make sense to you.

3 hours ago, Genericnic said:

David

A British newspaper article about an Australian in Thailand, what the hell have USD got to do with anything?

Edited by AussieFarmer