Woman bitten by dog in hospital seeks Bt1m compensation

snoop1130

Woman bitten by dog in hospital seeks Bt1m compensation

By The Nation

eb94f05eac040b8232f793bca7d98071.jpeg

A patient has demanded Bt1 million compensation from a state hospital after she was bitten by a stray dog as she waited in the hospital’s X-ray room on June 1.

Selaphum Hospital in Roi Et province treated Ampasri Mooncharee, 54, for the bite that caused minor bleeding and bruises. She was also injected with rabies vaccine. 

But while hospital has showed responsibility for the incident, it has refused to award her Bt1 million compensation. 

“We have now set up a committee to take care of the patient’s treatments and to provide remedial actions,” Dr Ittipon Soongkhaeng, an official from the Public Health Ministry’s Health Service Area 7, said on Tuesday.

Dr Upatin Rung-utaisiri, the hospital’s director, has offered Bt20,000 compensation from his pocket to appease Ampasri but she turned it down. 

Ittipon said the committee would try to mediate with all parties involved. “Bt1 million amount is too high. We will try to negotiate further,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30317984

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-13

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what did she do to the dog to get it to bite her, just  another trying to milk the system, you watch all the people that will be trying to put this one over on others now this has been shown up. Too many people trying their hands at graft her all the time now, make her pay for upsetting the dog instead, they dont bite for no reason

19 minutes ago, seajae said:

but what did she do to the dog to get it to bite her, just  another trying to milk the system, you watch all the people that will be trying to put this one over on others now this has been shown up. Too many people trying their hands at graft her all the time now, make her pay for upsetting the dog instead, they dont bite for no reason

She may have done nothing, Dogs are territorial and it may have thought that the X-ray room was its personal space. Because, after all, you always see stray dogs in hospital rooms.

41 minutes ago, Seismic said:

She may have done nothing, Dogs are territorial and it may have thought that the X-ray room was its personal space. Because, after all, you always see stray dogs in hospital rooms.

You mean like these?

1 hour ago, Seismic said:

I never have.

She provoked that dog somehow. The dog should be suing her.

Nope.

Some dogs will bite without provocation.

They are animals at the end of the day. With that comes a certain amount of unpredictability.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Just now, Dagnabbit said:

Some dogs will bite without provocation.

Not just wandering around in a public area like that, unless  it had rabies or distemper. More likely she tried to pet it or something.

17 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

What a silly statement. If you have never been accosted by dogs as you walk down the street, any street in the world never mind the soi dogs in Thailand, you have never left your living room. 

Oh sorry, I just looked your name up in Whos Who. The dog whisperer, that explains it.

3 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

So I know what I'm on about. 

You never leave your lounge room enough to know what is happening anywhere. Your last silly post about all dogs needing to be provoked before they bite just about sums you up. A silly and ignorant comment.

I had a job where i had to go to people's home's. I have had dogs come around from out of no where and bite me. Absolutely non provoked I never seen them till they were charging. I have been cornered more times than I wish to remember by dogs. They came around corners of the house at full run to get me, they hid behind bushes and attacked when I was beside the bush. they even jumped throuh screen doors. Most attacks were before I even got to the door. No owner around Even if a dog whisper says  she must have provoked does not mean it is true. I speak from many experiences.

Edited by lovelomsak

44 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

True.  She was within striking distance.  

I've been set upon by dogs in Thailand just by walking in their patch of street- full gallop from over 20 meters away.  Had one lay in wait until I passed by, then grabbed the back of my pant leg. 

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Most attacks were before I even got to the door

You were on their territory or moving that direction.

Only problems I'v ever had with Thai dogs, are the same, walking around a corner and there's a pack there or crossing a vacant lot. It's not unprovoked because you are walking on heir territory.  When you walk you need to carry a stick. 

No doubt the hospital staff would not allow a dog to set up house in their waiting room, even if they did the dog would be used to having people around and not see them as a threat unless the person did something.

8 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

No doubt the hospital staff would not allow a dog to set up house in their waiting room, even if they did the dog would be used to having people around and not see them as a threat unless the person did something.

Missed this one, huh?

http://www.manager.co.th/Crime/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9590000088068

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Some of the comments on here are as daft as this woman's claim for 1,000,000 Baht in compensation.

Did she miss half a day's work at her 2,000,000 Baht per day job?

As daft as it may sound, a huge punitive settlement may be just what Thailand needs to make people and businesses re-think how they deal with soi dogs on their property.

Ignore them or feed them or look the other way at your financial peril.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, seajae said:

Do you really believe this woman has a chance in hell of suing the hospital for 1 million baht? Especially in Thailand. It just ain`t going to happen.

14 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

No I didn't see it; if that's the case that lady needs to find a new hospital.  

I'm sure you don't mean that the answer to the problem of stray dogs wandering around a public hospital is that the patients should go elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I'm sure you don't mean that the answer to the problem of stray dogs wandering around a public hospital is that the patients should go elsewhere.

What would you do in that situation?  

I absolutely hate people who claim you must have done something to provoke a dog and must face it down and all that bollacks. 4 times I have been bitten by curs in the uk for absolutely no reason and in thailand in Chatkeow 2 in Pattaya was fending off dogs daily. Cant stand the things and should only be police and customs dogs plus guide dogs in this world. Keep the rest in a zoo

Edited by Chivas

Five days ago, I had 4 local dogs break through the wire netting to my chicken and duck area. They literally broke through the admittedly flimsy netting.

Totally ignoring ducks and ducklings, they killed 29 chickens and chicks. I heard the 5 geese we have, and ran with a stick into the yard where I was attacked.

The stick and long leg steel capped safety boots saved me (from my ex mining days, too many snakes here not to wear them)

I filed a report with the police. They cannot act for two reasons they said. I had no witnesses and there is a prohibition on killing and hurting the dogs.

So I did not mention how I had gotten the dogs to run away.

The villagers are on my side and have offered and suggested ways to fix the problem. Instead, I have built solid roof steel sheets (by Thai standards, the best I could get) around the yard.

The dogs made no effort to eat the chickens, they left me with the 3 roosters. I also made no aggressive moves on the dogs until they attacked me. And some posters on this topic are just plain silly. 

51 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

You were on their territory or moving that direction.

A public hospital is not the dogs territory. It may be to the dog but not to people who  need medical care.To try and justify the dog's actions is beyond reason.  How did it become the dog's territory? If people did not go places dog's were then the dogs would rule by territorial rights.People should be able to go to the hospital without being afraid of being accused of provoking a dog by being in the same room. A room the dog should not even be in. Get a grasp on reality.

Perhaps your post the dog should sue her is just a troll and we all bite into it.

And please do not selectively take from my posts. I mentioned the ways they attacked and in most I wasnot even aware they were there till they attacked.not visible ok. So pretty well impossible to be moving that direction as you put it.

Edited by lovelomsak